Total Beady Frustration.........

This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 16, 2014 10:55 PM

Not looking for help, but just venting...........I look like Old Faithful right this minute. I will start by saying that I have mastered most all stitches, started with square stitch, moved on to peyote and failed magnificently with it (my fault) and then went on to everything else including brick which I love, and finally back to peyote.

HOW ANYONE FOLLOWS A PATTERN IN PEYOTE IS TOTALLY 100% BEYOND ME. I've seen all the tips and tricks and this is a simple heart pattern, but NOOOOOO, it is not a heart at all, but turning into a pear or something. I have followed my rows, counted beads in each row, marked off the rows when done and was just so happy with myself. Stopped for dinner and came back, looked at it from a bit more of a distance, and it is garbage (and pearshaped). 

I may just give up on peyote again for another 7 years, maybe then............ I do have a square stitch heart pattern, so I am ribbiting now, but I do not have a smallish (amulet bag size) pattern for a turtle which is what goes on the back. Grrrrr-rrrrrrr. Demonically Deranged Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Feb 17, 2014 12:17 AM

Donna just turn the pattern sideways and do it in brickstitch. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 17, 2014 1:40 AM

Alexia, easy for you to say, now I am not even sure I can follow this thing in brick I am so frazzled. I have cut it apart and started the square stitch heart..........at least there I am comfy and confident I can do it. It needs to be done asap, it's special, so I am going with what I am 100% sure of. Thanks anyway, I did think about just turning it and doing it in brick at first. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 217
trayck wrote
on Feb 17, 2014 5:11 AM

Donna, I can feel your frustration but my nemesis was brick stitch.

You'll get it one day .

T.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 17, 2014 1:25 PM

Trayck, I've got both brick and peyote down, what has thrown me off on this is following the pattern. Most of what I do, including intricate patterns is done in square stitch or on one of my looms. I've not gotten to where I can deal with BOTH the offset AND the pattern following going left and then right with peyote. I was reading last night to see if I could get past the problem and in a specific peyote stitch book, it shows you how to make one of those cheater things so you only see the row you are on............. and in the instructions it sez to "move the guide down each row and move it to the left or right".......well that set me off again. And I don't really think that is a good way to learn how to master a pattern in peyote.....blech.

So I have already started it over in something I know I can do, I had a square/loom heart pattern, now if I can just find that turtle in square/loom, if not I'll do the turtle in brick and applique it onto the piece. Thanks for your support though, you have a good brain twisting project on your hands now too. Good thoughts for both of us....... I know that both of us will prevail. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Feb 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Donna, was the heart pattern just a peyote heart, no background? If it was just a heart, maybe it was the pattern was designed to give it the pear look.

I can do some instructions for you with graphics to help you better understand reading a peyote pattern both in even and odd count flat peyote.

Alexia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 18, 2014 10:37 PM

I could be heard in 99counties when I was learning Peyote. Finally, a teacher in AZ, told me to make an enlarged copy of the Pattern and color highlight each row with a different marker.

WALA! That works for me. (most of the time.Embarrassed Good Luck Dear.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 11:54 AM

Aw, Donna!  You make me wonder if I should be grateful I have a broken thumb and can't do bead stitching.Confused  I've looked at instructions for peyote and they could be in Martian, for all the sense it makes.(lol)  There are days I'm trying to design a new bezel with my wirework and the wire just won't cooperate.  Urgh! Then I get mad and fling my pliers and have to go find where I threw them!  It's probably a good thing I can't bead sew!(g)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 22, 2014 12:57 PM

Gyspy Mary:

I could be heard in 99counties when I was learning Peyote. Finally, a teacher in AZ, told me to make an enlarged copy of the Pattern and color highlight each row with a different marker.

WALA! That works for me. (most of the time.Embarrassed Good Luck Dear.

Gypsy Mary, that might just be the most logical idea ever.............. what happens with me is that my eye jumps from the row I am working on. I want to see if it compares accurately with the last row done and then I have a hard time focusing back on the correct row. And you know, that may just be a lack of confidence for me. I'll try another one, enlarged and with my four colors of markers handy. Thanks. Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 98
snybee wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 6:31 PM

Donna, one other thing -- after you've enlarged the pattern, have it laminated. This way you can draw a line through each bead or each row as you do it. I use a dry erase marker for this. When I'm done, I simply take a wet tissue, erase all my marks and the pattern is ready to be done again! I have to confess that peyote has always come easy for me and I've never had any problems following a chart. I used to use white correction tape to position below the row I was working on and would move it each row. When the correction tape lost its stickiness, I'd just get another piece. I also bead from the bottom to the top of a pattern and so don't know if this makes it easier or not.

Depending upon the size of the pattern, you might also try writing it out, such as 10A, 2B, 5A, 3C, 1B, etc. for each row. I can't really do peyote this way because I can't tell if I make a mistake until what might be several rows later. I have seen patterns sold with both a chart and a word pattern.

Just have patience and you'll eventually figure out what's easiest for you!

Sandy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 7:25 PM

snybee:
after you've enlarged the pattern, have it laminated

Sandy,

You can save the expense of having it laminated, by putting in a clear sheet protector. You can buy them at any office supply store. and they are reusable. And you can also make on them with dry erase makers just as you would a laminated sheet.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,560
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 9:57 PM

Ladies, thank you all for your wonderful support and solutions to my frustration. I did "avoid" it by doing the heart in a square stitch pattern that I had in a purse book......it's just perfect for the project and nice and sturdy in square stitch. The healing totem turtle, well I just did it in brick as it is only 1" x 1.25" and has a shape sort of like a dog tag or a key fob would have. I am just about done with the project, waiting to hear back from the two people who are also contributing and waiting to hear how the recipient did with her MRI..................  I'll post a pic as soon as the strap and dangles are finished, just needs to be sewed up the sides and it's there.

Thanks again, no more volcanic spewing coming from my ears.............. And, I am going to take a peyote pattern with some color changes on it, enlarge it and slide it into a page protector. I rarely make more than one of anything. Then we will see if the volcano is dormant or not.........LOL. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS