Beadwork March 2014 - Ilona Bracelet - Not cup chain?

This post has 22 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
RavenBraid wrote
on Jan 29, 2014 6:57 PM

I love this bracelet, but the supply list says it needs 8mm cup chain. From the directions and project photo, it looks like it's actually the sew-on stone style settings with 2 holes for weaving through.... no cup chain I've found has holes in the base to weave through. 

And the funny part, the source in the article, lasvegasrhinestones.com, is pretty darn annoyed they got referenced when they do not have anything like a cup chain with holes and the phone rep told me they didn't know how they ended up mentioned for the project. LOL

Has anyone seen this magical cup chain with holes?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 8:08 AM

I also was looking at this design, and I don't think it is a cup chain either. The best thing to do is try and contact the designer and ask. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 1:31 PM

Raven............. the only thing I am sure of that has holes in the bottom of the setting that could be sewed through are "rose montees". Heaven only knows what they call them now, but that is the official and real name for them. They look sorta like cup chain, but not connected with the metal strips. Things are not always called the same thing in different places.

Right now my bead cave is in a state of disarray.......I am closing an estate for a relative and have lots of paperwork all over and on my bead desk, I am attempting to finish my challenge piece on time, so I have no clue where that new Beadwork mag is, certainly not where it is supposed to be.

OK, found it (not where it belonged, but close)..........right in the article it says to use 8mm crystal montees. If you can find the cup chain it may be a bit more secure as far as holding the bracelet rigid, with the montees you will rely a bit more on your thread. Also she obviously gets her cup chain empty, lots of it comes with the rhinestones already mounted. With rhinestones, remember not to get your bracelet wet, they will eventually lose their backing to deterioration of the foil. If you do get it wet under the settings, put it in front of a cool or only slightly warm fan for a day or so and make sure it it dry.

Sez a lot for that store, no? I called a store referenced in a pattern once and they were lovely folks and actually built me a kit of the required beads to complete the pattern. I did have leftovers, but that was ok with me as I have to mail order most of my beads anyway, they are regulars for me now. I like "feeding" good bead people. If I was that L.V. store, I'd have stocked some montees and/or cup chain just for such sales opportunities......they missed the boat on that one. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
RavenBraid wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 5:23 PM

Donna, yes, I read the part about the rose montees, not a good suggestion in my opinion. They are thin and have holes in a "plus sign" which will change the dimension of the project and make the weaving wider instead of close together.

I ordered some sew on stones to try the project with.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 6:37 PM

I believe they are sew on gems by Swarvoski. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 7:00 PM

Raven and Sue............yeppers, the larger "crystal montees" by Swarovski look like they will do the job very well. The settings look to be made with holes in the right direction. Swarovski also makes rose montees and I knew about them, but not about the larger ones which come under their "elements" group. 

Show us your finished bracelet, okay? Can't wait to see it. I look at the magazine articles like that one and just see these projects in much bolder colors.........bronzes and greens which are my faves and multi shades of blues.......oh my, my brain just boggles with ideas for colors. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 5
moosiemoose wrote
on Feb 14, 2014 11:39 AM

Hi all , I am assuming you are all in the US  ,well if you think you have problems sourcing the components for this in the US ,you want to try getting hold of anything over here (UK)   even the 8mm /SS38 rose montees are as rare as hens teeth . 

I thought I had touched lucky with the cup chain but like you guys discovered there were no holes to thread  through . Such a shame as the bracelet is a beauty and looks like it will make up really quick  . 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 14, 2014 3:07 PM

moosie..........no holes? I would not let the stop me from doing that bracelet. I'd just carry the threads over the metal in the chain close to the cup part and maybe do a dab of glue at the end where the thread and metal occur. It is such a pretty bracelet when done and there is just no reason why you can't use a slightly different material to end up with the faboo results.

I like the bracelet and want to tackle it, but I have rose montees (tiny size) and cup chain (larger but not enough) and sew ons (way too big as they are old vintage Czech ones) and there I am drooling over the pattern............so I'll figure it out, maybe by using the cup chain I have and using much smaller beads around it......dunno, but eventually I'll have me one of those bracelets. 

You go girl and make that bracelet............ Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 20, 2014 10:11 AM

Wow, I absolutely love this bracelet!! It is lush... pretty please post pictures when your finished!!! I would love to see them! 

marutibeads.com - some really cool beads..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
RavenBraid wrote
on Mar 9, 2014 4:57 PM

Here's my bracelet in Swarovski denim and nickel silver seed beads, I love it! Very satisfying project that took less than 2 hours. I need to cap the backs of the sew-on settings or stitch a strip of ultrasuede to the back of them to protect the foil on the chatons. I include a picture of the back too for those who aren't familiar with the sew on settings. I searched and searched, I never found solid cups with the holes as shown in the magazine.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 9, 2014 7:22 PM

Raven, what a lovely color combo and it looks just perfect........congrats on accomplishing what originally sounded like a real problem............whooo hoooo. Donna

P.S.: and big thanks for showing the back, that really helped a lot

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 235
KathyK1999 wrote
on Mar 9, 2014 11:08 PM

Wow, that turned out great!  May I ask how many of the sew-on stones you used, for what length bracelet?

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
RavenBraid wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 12:00 AM

Thanks Kathy! I used 18 stones, my wrist is 6 inches (15.25 cm) on the dot, and 18 stones made that center section exactly 6", the loop and clasp added an inch for a little movement/loose fit and the total bracelet is about 7".

Hope that answered your question!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 2:04 AM

Wow, Raven!  That is way cool!  And it took you less than two hours? Seriously?  I'm wicked impressed!

As I was eyeballing it, I starting thinking to myself, I could see this bracelet in the pages of In Style or People: Style Watch dangling sexily from some young Hollywood starlet's wrist.  Wouldn't be surprised in the least if one of them saw this on your store site, snapped it up and started a trend.  I really do dig it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Mar 14, 2014 10:04 AM

Oh my that is a real beauty! Thanks for posting the picture! Did you use some kind of beading wire? 

marutibeads.com - some really cool beads..

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS