getting rid of printing on resin?

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Dec 13, 2013 7:23 PM

I just made a faux-opal resin cab using the bottom of a soda pop can as a mold. Unfortunately the printing on the tin came right off onto my cab, and acetone will not remove it? How do I fix this?

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 13, 2013 9:21 PM

did you try a detergent? some of that orange based cleaner? alcohol? just some notions to try. if none of those budge it, I'd take some really really fine sandpaper and just sand it off then apply a tiny bit of the same resin to smooth that back up. DMZ

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 155
trayck wrote
on Dec 14, 2013 4:11 AM

I don't know how to get rid of the printing but that's a great idea using the bottom of a can.

Might have to try this tomorrow  - without the print though.Good luck in getting rid of it.

T,

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 221
Sharon Mc wrote
on Dec 14, 2013 4:58 AM

Aerosol hairspray will remove ink from fabric, it might work to remove ink from resin. I do not know how it will react with the resin though so use it cautiously. If all else fails and you are ready to give up, a little bit of the resin on a paintbrush might remove the ink or it could just paint more resin right over it, that's why I said use it as a last resort.

Sharon Mc

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 798
brightcircle wrote
on Dec 14, 2013 2:39 PM

*goes to try things*

Trayck, just be super super careful when using the bottom of the can. It doesn't release well, must  be pulled off with pliers. I cut my finger deeply in the process.

Handmade jewelry, beaded beads and more available at my NEW location, bonanza.com/booths/BrightCircle

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 458
shanks wrote
on Dec 14, 2013 9:50 PM

Put some oil on a rag, and wipe the bottom of the can. It will be the mold release. Very, very thin coat, or if you are going to a lot, get mold release.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS