Balustrade Bracelet, Beadwork Magazine, December 2013/January 2014

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Diana GB wrote
on Nov 14, 2013 9:20 PM

I have concerns with row 2.  The figure 2 diagram shows beads not explained by the Row 1 or 2 instructions, or either the figure 1 or 2 diagrams, and I cannot see how this bead holds in place, unless it is pushed aside to show layering..  Although I am able to stitch in the figure 2/step 3 beads, when did these row come in?  The beads seem to be color (G), used in Row 1, and although (G) is used in row 3, I cannot find an explanation for this bead pass.  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 129
ScottishSue wrote
on Nov 23, 2013 2:00 AM

Thanks Diana for voicing your concerns.  There is definitely something missing in the description of making the BANDS for the "Balustrade Bracelet" by Maggie Meister.  That or Figure 2 is drawn incorrectly.  Beads appear in Figure 2 that are NOT described in the text.  

ScottishSue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 23, 2013 3:17 PM

Maggie M's work is always full of complicated directional changes, but as I am reading through it step by step, I am not seeing a problem...........so I am off to the local bead shop (thank heavens they have just started carrying the super duo beads) to get some of the required two hole seedies and work on the band. 

I did one of her projects previously and it took my best pal and myself to read through the directions to do it right. Now I have a tendency to copy a pattern like that on my scanner at 200% and then I get a ruler and go at it. I think sometimes the really talented beaders are just far above my head at least and I have to really go at it one step at a time. 

Also, Maggie Meister WILL respond to you with an answer if you contact her at her web site or her blog.............right now she is finishing up a tour, but she HAS answered me on a question I had on one of her patterns. Just know that she is a busy person. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 27, 2013 9:00 PM

Diana GB:

I have concerns with row 2.  The figure 2 diagram shows beads not explained by the Row 1 or 2 instructions, or either the figure 1 or 2 diagrams, and I cannot see how this bead holds in place, unless it is pushed aside to show layering..  Although I am able to stitch in the figure 2/step 3 beads, when did these row come in?  The beads seem to be color (G), used in Row 1, and although (G) is used in row 3, I cannot find an explanation for this bead pass.  

Diana and Scottish Sue...............I've sent hubby off to his relatives for T'giving day meal, he won't be back until Friday noonish............heh, heh. I am going to tackle that band tomorrow and see what I can figure out. All I have to do is feed the dogs tomorrow and my dinner is already and in the freezer, to be taken out and fired up. If I give them a lot to eat, they might just sleep all day.......... Donna, fearless Maggie Meister pattern beader........

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 28, 2013 9:41 PM

Diana and ScottishSue, Yeppers, there is a definite problem with either the written pattern or the figures.......... When you are done with Fig. 1 ending in the red thread, before you go to row 2, you have to flip the piece vertically in order to follow Fig. 2.....that is not stated or the Fig. 2 should have been flipped vertically to match the instructions. At the beginning of the blue thread (starts with the dot) if you followed fig. 1 correctly, that is NOT where you are. To get the G bead on top to match the fig. 2 drawing, the blue dot should be "up" two beads.......coming out of the top of the last bead on row 1. Minor stuff but wrong in not being described or pictured correctly. Then you can work row 2 just fine. Where the next problem comes in is at the point where the blue thread turns into the red thread............... That is really where it all goes pear shaped............ There is one too many beads in the drawing going by the directions. 

If her color scheme was not so monochromatic, you could almost pick through a photocopy of it done at 200% and see really and truly where that thread path goes, or where the extra bead inserted comes from...........

It is not unheard of for a magazine to "edit" out a step or so and Maggie's patterns being more complex (but look at what you get when done.....) are probably more prone to ending up with errors. Check the Beadwork mag page, right hand column under corrections. I am looking forward to seeing a correction on this one..........it is a great bracelet and since I had to go out and buy the two hole beads just to try it out..........I'd like to finish it.

Donna, done for the day, gonna go watch a movie now, beads all put away.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Nov 30, 2013 5:58 PM

ScottishSue:

Thanks Diana for voicing your concerns.  There is definitely something missing in the description of making the BANDS for the "Balustrade Bracelet" by Maggie Meister.  That or Figure 2 is drawn incorrectly.  Beads appear in Figure 2 that are NOT described in the text.  

ScottishSue

Diana and Scottish Sue...........I've worked past that "spot" and am now following only the written pattern and it seems to be working out right. I also put the photo of the finished bracelet under the biggest magnifier I have and that "mystery" bead that appears in figure 2, row 2 or thereabouts......does not appear to be in the bracelet. It actually is looking pretty nice, maybe I'll just go ahead and make the thing, but if it were to be for sale, it would be way too expensive for anyone to buy, considering the number of hours even at sub-minimum wages. Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 129
ScottishSue wrote
on Dec 2, 2013 10:59 AM

Hi Donna:

I really appreciate you trying to work through this pattern.  I often do that too, but  with Thanksgiving, out-of-town guests, and a hubby who is not out-of-town...Anyway, when I hit Figure 2, I gave up.  I also appreciate that you are telling us what you found.  VERY HELPFUL.

I wrote to Maggie Meister shortly after posting above and asked her to look at it.  She replied that she was traveling and would look at it when she got back home.  I have heard no more.

I often do find that the illustrations are the problem and just following the words of the author will do the trick.  I think it is because the illustrators have never done any beadwork.  The only illustrator AND beadworker I know is Julia S. Pretl.  

Sorry that it has taken me a while to answer you.  I have not looked at the forum for quite some time.

Thanks again,

ScottishSue

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS