Choosing a beading loom

This post has 54 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 6:28 AM

Hey Erin, my blog post is up now.  :)  I'm sure I've left out some things but this is what I have so far.  :) 

I understand you have your looms custom made.  I think I read that on your website or blog ?  Can't remember.  (a senior moment)    As for why you don't have one end higher, I couldn't begin to figure that out. lol !   For me,  I need that height.  It really has made the difference.  Maybe down the road, things will change.  One just never knows.  :)  In the meantime, I just keep on truckin'.  :)   

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BeadyBreda wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 7:14 AM

I realise this post is nearly a year old but I would so much like to know 'the perfect loom' for a beadweaver. 

Should I leave my email address here?

Many Thanks in advance 

Breda Hogan

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 8:04 AM

Hi Breda

The post was started long ago but it's still very active.  :)   I wouldn't post your email addy here.  If you wish to contact Erin, go thru her blog or website. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BeadyBreda wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 10:06 AM

Debbiela thank you so much I'll do that as I've already signed up to Erin's Blog.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BeadyBreda wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 10:16 AM

Debbiela me again just read your blog and signed up... I am a beginner too... but have been doing off loom beading for 15 years... looking forward to try  a loom now and will be going with you on your looming journey.   Will contact you via blog for name of this particular loom as you say not sure if there is the perfect loom for everyone but all in all this one looks promising.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 18, 2014 12:57 PM

Breda, I added the link to the shop on my blog so just go back over there and you'll see it.  :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
zaraszeal wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 12:37 AM

I hate dealing with the ends when I'm done so I've been looking for an innovate loom that will not break the bank. Mirrix has kits for conversion but their looms are well over $100. I found Versa Loom. It works by fixing the first row to one side of the loom and then fixing the last row to the other side. You then sew the weft threads back and forth through those beads. When you are done, the piece is removed with no finishing required. Because the first and last rows set the spacing, not a comb, screw or pin, you can use any size bead from large pony to the smallest 15/0 Japanese seed beads. The loom is under $30 USD and extensions can be bought for longer pieces. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test it yet. I'm thinking about testing this with hairpin lace dowels for a small sample. Check out the youtube videos:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA6F84882FC92C344

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 20, 2014 6:42 AM

Yes, I saw that when I was researching and it just didn't seem like the one for me.  Seems like that is just way too much prep time.  Thanks for the info though.  :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 20, 2014 4:15 PM

Thanks so much for the blog post alert! I wish you could take one of my classes. I feel you are missing points, to make the loom better, for you and overseeing points, you call negatives. Experience speaks best, just short of getting proper direction. One thing I do like is how you are not folding under to the "minimal warp method". It is best to allow creative design take control and not let the warps decide how creative you can get.... If you know what mean :D. The two patterns are lovely. Good luck on you loom travels.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 21, 2014 6:15 AM

Thanks for the input Erin.  Of course experience is better.  It usually is. :)  With my blog posts, I am only writing about MY OWN experiences, thoughts, opinion at the time.  I'm not trying to influence anyone.  As for missing points to make the loom better, for me, anything is possible.  As for overseeing points, maybe I'll figure all that out someday.  For the time being, I stand by my post as it is what I know - up to this point.  Who's to say what the future will bring.   I do know that my time with this art form is limited and I am doing it for fun.  As I mentioned previously I will not become an expert at it to be sure.  :)  It's fun, interesting and will keep me occupied on these days I cannot torch along with kumihimo and putting together jewelry.  I'm quite sure I will continue to learn things here and there, tips and tricks as it were.  lol !  Just all takes time. 

Thanks for the reply and happy beading to you !  :)  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 21, 2014 1:42 PM

You do sound like you are enjoying it and that is all that counts! :D I am an avid bead weaver of the loom, so I do tend to look at things differently. I always have as this is all I have ever enjoyed doing with beads.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 592
debbiela wrote
on Jul 23, 2014 8:19 AM

Yep, I am having fun with it as I do with anything that has to do with beads.  ;) 

You should write a book.  ;)  It sounds like you have tons of information that would be worthy of that endeavor. 

Now I will go back to bed.  The flu has hit me hard this past week.  UGH.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 25, 2014 1:23 AM

Please please please, feel better! Nothing is worse than suffering from a flu, on the Summer. 

i have a book written, and was ready for publication. However, my idea, of a "bead loom weaving book", and the Publisher's thought process, (the company my contract was signed), was not on the same page. I ended with signing a "cease contract". I teach, at a great store, locally, once a month. The students come from all over and leave "never having a naked loom" again! It is the interaction, with others, that made me realize, books are great, but personal-hands-on-instruction...is the BEST. Many have traveled, from all over the states, to the point i have purchased an RV MAP, to mark where new "LOOMIES" travel, for my classes, lol. Please look through my Blog. I offer many tips that will help those who are beginning, on the loom. Otherwise, consider following my FB Page. These venues are kept up to date, outside of what I offer in class. I also share, on my Blog and FB, the pictures of my sold out classes and fun we share. Thanks again for offering your personal travels, but please please please, consider you are at a very early stage and you may want to keep an open mind to any of your original thoughts, with this loom or others. It will only allow you, and others, to learn more!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cookie1030 wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 5:21 PM

Hi Erin, I just sent you an email requesting info for the "perfect loom for a beginner".

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 936
on Jul 29, 2014 1:19 AM

Hello Cookie! Thank you so much, for the email. I am excited to know you are open to ideas, opposed to Debbie's personal experience, with a particular loom. I am not, in agreement, with her novice bead weaving  insight, and feel I can offer skills to make any loom a worthwhile investment and enjoyable designing bead loom vehicle.

I have designed a loom, my students use, in class, but I am not interested in starting a 'loom supply business'. Please contact me, if you are interested, in one, which includes warping instructions, as I have a few left over, from my next scheduled class, 8/9 and 8/16. Usually, my students purchase more, once they realize a naked loom is never acceptable, LOL. Therefore, if I have looms left over, I am willing to sell, via internet. I truly believe, the looms I offer, are perfect, for creating bead loom cuffs. I also have other loom table sizes. My main drive, no matter what loom table size I sell, is to direct a mode: "No more naked bead looms"! I am also in the mode to encourage every Beader a chance to revisit the loom. I have a dream that "hand weaving" beaders will lift the loom skills to a new level! So far, I am correct!

Page 3 of 4 (55 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS