Hello from the Pacific NW!

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Beadelicacy wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 6:28 PM

I've watched Beading Daily off and on for several years on my local PBS station, but have just started posting on the Forum. 

I've been beading for 24yrs. Before I got into beads I had a pottery studio but had to give it up due to family and health demands. I miss the clay but the beads have turned out to be a great substitute. I do mostly needle weaving (peyote, square, right-angle), beaded needlepoint and beaded crochet. Very little loom work. I decided if there's anything to the idea of past lives, I must have been a magpie or a raccoon - I love colorful, sparkly things!

I'm partial to Delicas, but lately have been using a lot of semi-precious beads with permanent finish galvanized/duracoat seed beads in my bead crochet. I made the mistake of walking into a Gem Faire about 5 years ago and got hooked on gemstone beads. A happy accident! 

I had to stop making to sell for a number of years because of family demands, but always was working on something and keeping an idea journal. Now I'm  working on building up an inventory and hope to eventually open a shop somewhere online (Etsy?). I'm not good at selling at fairs because my body can't handle it, so I'm hoping this will workout for me. 

So happy to find this forum!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 6:47 PM

Welcome, Beadelicacy. This is really a great forum, and most people here are a wonderful help. I envy you the BD on the local PBS. As much as I LOVE love old movies, and enjoy occasional operas, our local doesn't carry much of 'craft/hobby' anymore. Years ago you could turn it on and learn a painting technique, beads, and many things along those lines.

I have to tell you, I adore the gemstones, too. But since I only do weaving, and little-to-none of stringing, I don't use them too much. Of course, that doesn't keep me from buying them.... Some day I'll either have an epiphany, or be mailing them out to people that would like to use them. Good thing they don't rot away.

Perhaps you can find a locally owned store that could give you a few feet of counter space somewhere? Wish you luck in your endeavors and I sure hope we get to see some of your work. We all love to see each others pieces. I can't imagine how much drool gets wiped away from all of our keyboards on a regular basis.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,466
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 7:03 PM

beaddelicacy, how Pacific NW are you? I'm in Oregon about half way between WA and CA and darned happy about it. I did some very basic beading as a kid, as did a lot of us. Then my interests turned more toward painting and then to pictures made on a tapestry loom with fabrics and yarns. A whole lifetime of career interfered with it all and after I retired in 2005 I took a bead class and that was it............. back into it all, mostly looming, but I took enough classes to learn the other stitches and make lots of bracelets for myself. I have done some challenges both here on B.D. and with our local bead society. I work almost exclusively with delicas.........cannot do without them. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,951
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2013 11:19 AM

Welcome to the forums

You are so in the right place. We all love our sparklies here. We even love the sparklies of others too.

I hope you will post some pictures of your work in the Reader Showcase we love to be able to ooohhh & aaahhh! over the work of others.

Good luck in finding a venue that works for you.

Drop in and chat with us often.

see ya in the posts

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS