I'm baaaaaccckkk! Didja miss me?

This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 5, 2013 12:40 AM

My brother has a boxer, so I know ALL about them!<lol> Because we live in the country, and our house is over 60 years old, we are developing structural deficiencies here and there, and of course, the vermin love to take advantage of the tiniest crack.  Mac and Zoe are born vermin hunters, and they excel at it. Sometimes, though, they'll quarrel over who's the better hunter and that will frequently take them dangerously close to my work station.  It's even worse when I'm in my summer studio,so I refuse to allow them in there any more.  I don't have the patience to break up squabbles and keep my inventory from disappearing into the lawn forever.  Small they may be, but don't tell them that!  They think they'e ferocious, 150 lb. Rottweilers!  That is, when they're not acting like spoiled little children!Confused

They're fairly good about staying away from my bead stuff, too, but I prefer they stay mostly in my bedroom, because I work with wire so much, and it tends to go flying, in spite of my best efforts.  The last thing I want to do is out  a little canine eye out. But they do like to watch me work, and if I'm doing something more with stringing, less with wirework, I enjoy their company.  Zoe is very good at reminding me I need to take a break.  She's my nurse.  Mac is my "tote boy," because he always wants me to pick him up and tote him around.  Do they have me trained, or what?!Big Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 9:15 PM

Valbeads:

Deb:

Your dachshunds?  HA!  Try having a pair of West Highland White Terriers, or Westies, for short.  They have the "Westitude" IN SPADES!  These two are the smartest dogs in the known universe, and boy, do they use it to their advantage!  Me train them?  Try the other way around!  It's their house; they just let melive here!Confused  And they might not speak English but they understand every word you say.  Certain things have to be spelled around them, like t-r-e-a-t-s, because they know that word all too well.  And neither of them has any problem dragging me out of bed at 3 or 4 in the morning so they can go potty, bark at one or two seer and just make general nuisances of themselves.  Then of course, there's the bed hogging.  For such small dogs they sure do take up a lot of space! And if I try to push them over so I can have some room?  Well!  That's a cardinal offense!(lol)  And when they want attention, I can just forget about working on any of my bead projects!(lol)

The things we do for our furry children, sigh..........................Smile

Val

Val,

Not to argue - too much LOL - but the dachshunds have your Westies beat for smart and stubborn. Spelling - forget it. They know what G-O, C-O-O-K-I-E-S and other words spell. Bed hogging - dachshunds have that down to a science. Mike and I sleep this way |   |  and most of the dachsies sleep this way = = between us. Mike says we have "dachshund birth control"! I literally have less than 12" of space on the bed and MUST sleep on my side. Dachshunds are shaped like wedges, and the contrary one that sleeps perpendicular to the herd, puts his back against mine. If I move to get room, he scoots in to fill the space. If he really wants space, he rolls over and puts his feet in my back and PUSHES! 

In my next life, I'll have Scotties, Westies, Corgis and Newfies! Though probably not all at the same time! LOL

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Hi Riki!

I'm sorry we had to disappoint Gerry, when he was looking forward to a trip to AJ! LOL

If you need those things you never found anywhere else, holler at me and I'll see if I can find them in the leftover inventory. Mike was surfing the Net this afternoon and saw some bead listings on Etsy and says I should post some of the inventory there. I'm seriously considering it.

Grandson is doing better - he's on medication and has been 6 months seizure free, thank goodness. He's had some developmental delays because of the seizures and how long it took to diagnose them. He's just turning 4 but he's closer to 3 developmentally, but is gaining ground all the time.

We're hoping to be moved in the next 3 months - depending on closing date, weather, and other stuff. Once we get settled, we'd love to have you and Gerry come by and visit.

I'm sure I have the adult version of ADD - I've got so many projects that I jump around working, it's scary! Plus, I have to start clearing out and downsizing before we move.EEEKK! I'm definitely not looking forward to that!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 9:36 PM

SEllen 2:

Of course we missed ya!

I was so happy to see you posting again. You always have such great advice and insight.

Sorry to hear about the Grandson's siezures. As one who also suffers from them I know how scary they can be. Escpecailly for a little one who doesn't really understand what's going on. The waiting for the diagnosis is hard. But, it helps when you can finally get a name for it and in time you learn how to cope with the siezures.  I do hope that he will be one of the blessed ones and it will be something he can grow out of.

I hope you and your DH adjust to your retirement. Oh, and your fur babies too.

Looking forward to having you back in the conversations.

Hi Sellen!

My daughter had been telling the doctors for almost 2 years that he was having seizures, and they all put her off as being essentially "paranoid". Then he had a seizure and she had her cell phone handy and took video. When she took him to the ER, she showed them the video and they said, "Yep, that's a seizure". He's on meds now and has been seizure free for about 6 months. Because of the seizures, he's had some developmental delay - about a year behind, but he's getting occupational therapy and speech therapy and he's gaining ground!

We're adjusting, but don't want to get too settled in a routine, because we expect to be moving before the end of the year, and then we'll have to start all over. It's definitely going to be interesting getting the dogs adjusted to the new place!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 9:47 PM

tcwhit:

Welcome, welcome, welcome.  It's wonderful to have you here again!  Nice thing about hobbies, as opposed to jobs, is you can pick them up or walk away whenever you feel like it.  I personally think that any major change in our lives can take some major adjusting as well.  I'm sure at some point, (you'll probably be ready to fall asleep) a brilliant idea will you hit you, how you are finally going to use that big (yellow/red/green/whatever) focal piece, and within a few days, I expect to see it posted.  No matter what you do ( or don't do), enjoy your down-time. You've worked your whole life for it. 

Thanks tcwhit!

Now that we've retired and I have time to "play with beads", I've discovered that it's not as easy to be inspired as it was when I could walk through a 4,000 sq ft store and have the beads talk to me and inspire me. They talk to me now (from the boxes in the garage), mostly saying, "GET US OUT OF THESE BOXES! IT'S **HOT** IN HERE!"

Hubby thinks I should start selling on Etsy. I'm holding out for waiting until we get settled in the new location and then either doing Etsy and mail order or doing a local (indoor) flea market, where some of our friends are vendors.

I didn't have much down time this weekend. We got 16 lbs of strawberries and 20 lbs of peaches from Zaycon Foods. (www.Zayconfoods.com - our referral # is ZF9509) and I spent all weekend and part of Monday doing canning. I canned strawberries in syrup and peaches in syrup, made strawberry butter and peach butter, and made strawberry sauce for ice cream, lemonade and smoothies. They look so pretty in the jars! So, I'm chilling out the rest of the week! LOL

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2013 10:04 PM

StanB:

Hi Deb,

So you think you're going to RETIRE ?!?!?!?

Don"'t believe it folks!  Just let us know when and where.  We'll stop by when we're in the area.

StanB.

Hi, Stan!

We're retired. (for now, anyway)

Except for maybe selling on Etsy (and I haven't decided on that yet) or maybe in a flea market when we get moved and settled, I'm planning to stay retired. I'll keep you posted on what we decide to do.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 11, 2013 2:35 AM

Oh, Deb!

We can no longer spell toothbrush in front of Mac and Zoe.(my Westies)  We have to abbreviate it to "TB" or risk getting in BIG TROUBLE!(lol) Yeah,they do know how to spell.(we give them Greenies to keep their teeth and breath clean.)  And I haven't told you of the very creative ways they bedhog: Mac likes to sprawl diagonally across the bed. In order to get him to move over so I'm not teetering on the brink of the bed, I've had to get very creative. I've developed a move called "The Steamroller,"in which I turn my body into a steamroller and roll around.  Mac will get cranky, but he will move.  Zoe, on the other hand, likes to share my pillow, and change sides of the bed.  To do this, she gets up, walks on my HEAD, pulls my hair and then settles down on the opposite side, just as sweet as you please.  I mean, really!

Oooooh, Newfies are cool!  I remember Josh winning Westminster a few years ago.  What kind of Corgi do you like-Pembroke or Cardigan?  And I'm just flat-out insano over terriers- especially my kids!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,949
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 12, 2013 12:56 PM

DebWAZ:
He's on meds now and has been seizure free for about 6 months.

So, glad to hear the meds are working for him. Big Smile

DebWAZ:
My daughter had been telling the doctors for almost 2 years that he was having seizures,

Doctors Angry...the only thing they HEAR is the sound of their own voice.Super Angry Most of them don't know their elbow from their A$$teroids.

Can you tell I DON'T like doctors.AngrySuper Angry

I hope his delays will soon be conquered and that he will continue to grow stronger.

DebWAZ:
we expect to be moving before the end of the year

DebWAZ:
It's definitely going to be interesting getting the dogs adjusted to the new place!

They maybe a bit confussed at first but think of all the fun they will have exploring their new place. I'm sure it won't take them long to find a spot to call their own. Then you and DH will just have to make do with what is left.

Good Luck with the move

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 13, 2013 11:13 PM

Val,

Pembroke Corgis - we have a redheaded longhair dachshund that strangely enough, reminds me of a Corgi. Must be his little teddy bear feets. Cardigan Corgis are okay, too. As far as Newfies, I always liked the idea of owning a "bear".

We did dachshund rescue for many years. Mike and I retired from doing rescue when we opened the brick and mortar store. One of the last rescues that we placed was a pain in the butt named Milo. I used to sleep with my legs crossed - like a 4, and Milo would sleep in that "nest". Made it interesting for Mike! LOL Anyway, I HAD to put the covers over Milo - like covering a parakeet cage - or he would grumble for HOURS until I did! LOL

My Scooter insists on my being up shortly after sunrise. If I sleep until 7, it's a miracle! He must be related to your Zoe, because he walks on my head, too!

Yep - us "dog people" are a little crazy, aren't we?

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 13, 2013 11:30 PM

sellen,

You have the same high opinion of doctors that my daughter does. LOL my grandson is starting to catch up - it's fun to see the progress he's made between visits. He's starting to "get" jokes and humor. His latest is to laugh hysterically after telling this joke - usually at the top of his voice: "Why does Batman flush the potty? Because it's his DUTY (doody)!"

Making do with what is left is what scares me! LOL We have a couple of big Kuranda beds for the dogs. Kurandas are the ones that shelters use. Then, hubby bought HUGE and comfy mattresses to go on the Kurandas. I have a feeling that one of the beds will be close to the woodstove in the winter. The property we're hoping to get has several acres - complete with jackrabbits, cottontails, whiptail lizards (I call them "Yankee lizards" because they've got blue bellies) and "horny toads" (horned lizards). When we were looking at the property, I saw the smallest horned lizard I've ever seen - not much bigger than a half dollar. He was just a baby - didn't have any spikes, yet. I know the dogs are going to have fun chasing them. We are going to get them vaccinated for rattlesnake bites (it's not a cure, just buys time to get to the vet) and probably will do rattlesnake avoidance training, too. A friend did that with his 3 dachshunds and one of them failed the training because she was determined to protect her people. The trainer said he'd never seen a dog that protective - he obviously doesn't know dachshunds very well. I have a feeling that at least 2 or 3 of ours would fail for the same reason.

If I didn't say it before, "Do NOT buy a house that is a short sale"! The waiting is murder!

Have a good weekend!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 14, 2013 1:01 AM

Deb, we have two of the largest Kuranda beds also, with the double thick fleecies. Our dogs will just dive for them, who ever gets out of one to go out and potty loses position.....LOL. We also have two kennels set up in the bedroom that they will disappear into for naps and at night. It is sort of hard (on me that is) to not have three Kurandas and three kennels, but our room is limited. One of the kennels is a Great Dane size and usually the smallest dog gets is...go figure. Anyway, we have a fuel oil stove in the living room which we can use if it is especially cold or if the power is out. We had no electricity for a week last January and we were thrilled to have invested in that stove. Being here in the coast we have to turn it off as even on the lowest setting it runs us out with the amount of heat it makes. It dribbles the fuel oil too and a tank lasts usually two winter seasons. 

The dogs will vie for the best position in front of the fuel oil stove............it is Jolie's fave spot in the house. I caught her staring at the flame one day and then she walked up to the glass and I heard the moisture sizzle off her nose, but she had already backed up, no damage at all she was that fast, but she learned not to do that. Guess we'll have to go through that with the puppy this year.

We had those blue bellied lizards when we lived in Oracle. They raise up to challenge each other and made quite a spectacle of themselves, We had rattlers, but we'd just put them in a sack and "rehome" them a couple of miles out further in the desert and they didn't come back. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 15, 2013 8:53 PM

Deb, 

I think They're both cute.  I think the Queen has Pembrokes.  She has boatloads of them toddling about Buckingham Palace, and where she goes,they go. I'll bet you megabucks they sleep in the Royal Bed with her and Prince Philip.(lol)  Prince William has a beautiful black Cocker,and Princess Katherine has a Golden.  Our neighbor across the street has a Golden.  Ooops,potty time for Zoe.  brb.

There! Got the kids settled for the evening!  They have a "blankie,"so they're both very happy. I am noe very grateful to have both of them sleeping with me; it's gotten COLD here now! I need my little hot water bottles!

Mom and I went to Pet Smart today to get groceries for the kids.  While there, I met a lovely German Shepherd, a yellow Lab, a baby Border Collie (she wa such a SWEETIE! except for the mouth full of razor blades!  The lady was nervous 'cos the puppy started to jump on me. I told her to let the puppy jump on me; I'm used to it and don't mind at all.  I told her, to me it's a sign of affection.  She seemed very relieved.  Guess some people don't like it; I love it!), and the same family that had the Border Collie pup had a GINORMOUS Bull Mastiff!  It's the first time I've ever gotten to see one of them live, and he was such a sweetie!  Thankfully, he didn't slobber on me.  BLEAH!  That's one thing I can't stand, is slobber.  One of the reasons I love my kids.  Westies don't slobber!

Zoe just asked me to pull the comforter over her.  She's cuddled up right next to me.  At least your dog lets you sleep in till seven.  Zoe gets ME up anywhere between 3-4 am.  And if I don't take her up to the main house to sleep with Mom and Dad, she runs her mouth to keep me awake.  Then it takes me at least two-three hours to get back to sleep, and then MAC is up wanting to go potty!  URGH!  I can't remember the last time I was able to sleep straight through the night!

Does Scooter try to pull your hair out of your head while he's using you as a piece of furniture? 'cos Zoe'd pulled some small hanks out a few times. OOOOWWWWW!!!

We kinda have to be a little nutty, in order to keep ourselves sane, doncha think?  It's like working with children!  BTW, how have your "kids" settled into their new digs?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 15, 2013 9:19 PM

Deb,

I watch a LOT of HGTV, so I know what a nightmare short sales can be.  I would be terrified to do one.  In fact,  I think the term "short sale" is an oxymoron.

Are you still living in AZ?  If so, please stay safe, and I hope you're farther away from the Southern border now.  Dunno if that makes a difference in AZ at all, but do what you can to protect yourselves.

PS- I may be trapped in NYS, but I'm no Yankee!(thank God!)  I was born in Memphis, TN and grew up in Virginia Beach.   Because of where I was born, I am officially a Memphis Belle.Big Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,819
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 15, 2013 9:22 PM

Donna,

How big are your dogs?  Mine sleep in bed with me.  Then again, they're Westies and it's their bed. They just allow me to sleep in it!(lol)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,464
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 16, 2013 1:23 AM

Valbeads:

Donna,

How big are your dogs?  Mine sleep in bed with me.  Then again, they're Westies and it's their bed. They just allow me to sleep in it!(lol)

Val, the other morning I had all three in bed with me! Mercy. But I was sitting up having my coffee so I was taking up less space. Jolie (75#) across the foot of the (twin) bed, sandwiched next to her was the pup, Ule (at almost 9 months of age is probably over 60# but he hasn't been to the vet since July when he weighed in at 50#, but he IS a growing boy). The last dog up was Zito who is now 8 years old and he has been on a diet for about a year now to slim him down for his senior years................ Zito is down to a mere 84# from his max of 101#, and he was not fat at 101, he is a big boned half German boxer boy. Zito is my "best boy" and he truly wants to be a lap dog, he will carefully sit on my ankles and then ease down so that he can sneak in some kisses..........stubby tail going 800 miles an hour all the time because he knows he is getting away with something the other two do not. They make me laugh, but if Guy gets a cereal box out of the cupboard they are all gone in like three seconds in hopes of snagging a mini-wheat or cheerio. Fickle.

They do not sleep with me all night though.....it would be impossible. They have two kennels set up in the bedroom and one usually stays out in the living room sort of on guard (actually sprawled out full length on the couch). I often will be on a beading jag and I'm a night person anyway, so I am in the back room beading away often until 1:30 or 2am. Jolie my darling girlie will warm up the bottom of the bed for me........I get in and have instantly warm feet and I love it. But she bails out as soon as I arrive. In the middle of the night, baby Ule will still sneak into bed with me, but he is fast outgrowing it. When he was new here, he was always cold............he slept with me all the time, but in the middle of the night you'd hear this awful THUD and he had fallen out of bed. Scared me spitless because I always worried about him hurting himself, but at that age they just are very flexible and they bounce. 

Anyway, they are BIG for boxers. Sometimes I see these cute little boxers and wonder why mine all grow up big and strong..........but I love them all big or small. Donna

Page 2 of 3 (31 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS