Fireline this and Fireline that!

This post has 40 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 164
on Dec 20, 2013 5:42 PM

I haven't used the Beadsmith version for a long time so I can't comment on the difference but lately the last two rolls of Berkley clear ( 6lb ) from the fishing departments seem to split and fray. I tried using Nymo for a project but when I stretched it, it broke every time so it's still Fireline for me.

miqui

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 198
trayck wrote
on Dec 20, 2013 6:21 PM

The reason that I bought the spool from the bead shop was that the label says Beadsmith on the top then Berkley Fireline so I thought it was the same thing.  Never realised the there was a difference.

I've bought other stuff before that was Beadsmith branded and had no problems but I guess I learnt the hard way between fused and braided Fireline.

From reading your post miqui I'm going to be paranoid when I buy my next spool from the fishing store too.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 20, 2013 10:12 PM

Southpaw Beader:

I haven't used the Beadsmith version for a long time so I can't comment on the difference but lately the last two rolls of Berkley clear ( 6lb ) from the fishing departments seem to split and fray. I tried using Nymo for a project but when I stretched it, it broke every time so it's still Fireline for me.

miqui, what size Nymo and how hard were you stretching it? I mostly use "D" Nymo and stretching it just until I can see it stretch a bit then move on to the next section of thread. I have never had D or B Nymo break just from stretching..........sounds like something wrong with it or you are a very strong person and stretching it past it's tolerances........ Splitting and fraying Fireline could have to do with how your tension is and what type of bead. Can you give us a picture of a breakage? It might help. Also, some beads are sharper than others, bugle beads are notorious for cutting thread and a lot of patterns will have you put a bead on each end of a bugle to lessen that, especially if the thread path goes around a corner. Everyone here would like your beading experience to be better.............. DMZ

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 4, 2014 12:55 AM

(However, I also think Kennedy's assassination was a conspiracy!  Smile )huummmCrying I thought it was a conspiracy, does this mean it wasn'tEmbarrassed

I have found, how long a supplier has the fireline, will determine, #1. If the sticky white tab, it leave sticky on the fire line in one spot of the entire roll.#2. If its old, it will fray with square stitch.

(Thankfully, it hasn't frayed yet on other stitches)

Its eaiser to thread a needle with fireline, (especially when ones eyes are closedSleep.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 4, 2014 1:49 AM

I agree with you on both points, Mary!

I've used Fireline to design "illusion" necklaces, and it's held up very well, with no stretching or fraying.  BTW, am I weird for preferring Fireline to Wildfire?Tongue Tied

(PS- Lyndon Johnson was behind Kennedy's assassination.  He was jealous, and when he found out Kennedy planned to run for re-election in '64 without him on the ticket, Johnson decided to get rid of his "competition."  Not the first time he'd done that!)Geeked

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JuanitaRojas wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 4:48 PM

There seem to be three versions of fireline in this discussion - Berkley Fireline from the fishing store, Berkley Fireline labeled "thread for jewelry-making" and Beadsmith Fireline (for consistency, the 6-lb test crystal in each).

My question is:  who manufactured these?  Are they all the same?  Are they all the same diameter?  I don't think all three have been compared in this thread.   I have been using Beadsmith Fireline and hoping it holds up over the long term better than Nymo.  It usually cost around $7-$9 for 50 yards.  Today my husband accidentally bought me some Berkley Fireline for jewelry making from the Hobby Lobby, and it cost $13.99 (minus the 40% off coupon) for 55 yards, no diameter mentioned on the label.  

So the second question is why is the Berkley so much more expensive than the Beadsmith?  To me, the big questions are - Who manufactured this stuff?  The same factory?  Is the only difference the label?  

Blah, how annoying.  Anyway, here's what might be a helpful hint:  I hate when thread (Fireline) shows between the (Delicas and 11 seed) beads. Sometimes it's barely avoidable (I'm talking St. Petersburg chain).  I'm experimenting with dabbing those exposed bits with Copic markers of the same color as the adjoining beads.  So far, so good, no rub-off.

Any help or answers will be gratefully appreciated!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
bluehole wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 7:42 PM

Hi Juanita: I started this thread, and as you can see, there are many opinions. I can only offer my opinion. I believe that Berkley manufactures all versions of fireline. I also believe that Beadsmith merely repackages their product by re-spooling or re-labeling.

The only difference I have found is between the "green" colored fireline and the crystal. I have written to Berkley, but they will not verify or respond about any differences, but common sense would suggest that they make huge rolls of fireline all at the same time. The likelihood that they would make small batches for wholesale customers is pretty remote. So, you can pick up small spools or large spools, and get the best price. I buy at WalMart. I use the 4 lb. for earrings and small beads, and 6 lb. for larger objects and beads. The 4 lb. is haerder to find in large spools, so I usually buy the Beadsmith spools from Amazon.

As for coloring, I routinely use marker pens, dragging the fireline through the tip, until I get the color I want. If you use permanent markers, it will not bleed. I also wash my beaded jewelry as a final step, and I have not encountered any problem.

Hope this helps. Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Dragztwo wrote
on Jul 28, 2014 8:48 PM

Blue...

I emailed Berkley about 2 spools of crystal I have that are fraying, any got a response that because I was not using it for fishing, there was nothing they could do! I forwarded that email to Beadsmith. We'll see what happens.

What do mean by washing your beaded jewelry?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 2:23 AM

bluehole:

Hi Juanita: I started this thread, and as you can see, there are many opinions. I can only offer my opinion. I believe that Berkley manufactures all versions of fireline. I also believe that Beadsmith merely repackages their product by re-spooling or re-labeling.

The only difference I have found is between the "green" colored fireline and the crystal. I have written to Berkley, but they will not verify or respond about any differences, but common sense would suggest that they make huge rolls of fireline all at the same time. The likelihood that they would make small batches for wholesale customers is pretty remote. So, you can pick up small spools or large spools, and get the best price. I buy at WalMart. I use the 4 lb. for earrings and small beads, and 6 lb. for larger objects and beads. The 4 lb. is haerder to find in large spools, so I usually buy the Beadsmith spools from Amazon.

As for coloring, I routinely use marker pens, dragging the fireline through the tip, until I get the color I want. If you use permanent markers, it will not bleed. I also wash my beaded jewelry as a final step, and I have not encountered any problem.

Hope this helps. Smile

Thanks Bluehole, I totally agree with your answer. All Fireline is made by Berkley, some being relabeled. I shop by price because I only buy the 300 yard spools. Looming, both warping and using it for the weft use up LOTS of yards and those small spools just don't work for me. There was a problem with the 6# (and maybe other test strengths, I only know about the 6# as that is what I primary go through a lot of) de-fusing itself. I had just bought some 125 yard spools through Fire Mountain and they replaced them. As a rule if I don't find any specials on them, I purchase from FishUSA. 

The permanent markers can be used just where it shows, or longer lengths of line can be colored by running the line under the marker with some sort of paper or cardboard underneath so you don't get marker all over your work surface. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 8
bluehole wrote
on Jul 29, 2014 2:42 PM

One of the reasons I started this thread was due to fireline fraying. Even though others said they had never encountered the problem, I would have fraying when trying to correct a mistake with the 4 lb.. If I pulled it out, it would fray. I stopped using it for weaving Delicas for this reason, returning to Silamide. But, with larger beads, it works fine for me.

RE: Washing....After I finish weaving a bracelet, I put a tiny bit of detergent on my finger tips and spread it along the bracelet. with a bit of warm water. Then, I gently rub the surface and rinse it off. It removes any film from my hands that was left on the bead surfaces. Shines like new.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 30, 2014 9:22 PM

Shock and Awe...............I just opened up my replacement spool of smoke 6# Fireline that was the replacement stock from FMG. Smoking along on a new pattern that was in the last issue of Beadwork and pulled the line snug.........this was not a stitch, but a straight through pass..........and it just broke. Could have knocked me over with a feather, sat there on my sun porch with my mouth hanging open. Also noticed at the instant that the smoke was coming off.........just like the original smoke Wildfire, just coming right off. Stomped into the house and ordered a spool of shanks recommended Powerpro........it will be here Friday.

I am not a person to return things or bad mouth a company, especially one that has made my beading a true pleasure for years............but it just might be over for me and Fireline. I would rather hear that they get their ducks in a row and fix that stuff, but I am not above tossing out all new spools of Fireline and just keeping the old ones that came here prior to the big problem which seems to have started about a year ago. 

An amazed and greatly disappointed Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 2:38 AM

First off trayck if you didn't throw away that 125yds of Fireline that you didn't like, you could totally sell it on amazon or ebay and get your money back.

Second I don't know if it was said or not but fishing line or beading thread? Or is it just personal preference? I get that Berkley is (or seems to be) the original manufacture of Fireline and that kind of makes me question Beadsmith... It almost feels like they're ripping Berkley off??

Third Donna please let us know how your experience with Powerpro goes.

And last I have a spool of Beadsmith Fireline 8# test in smoke and haven't really had a problem with it except once. I noticed my needle was bent so I got out a new one (same package as the first) and when I threaded my new needle or would adjust the slack it would fray. By touching it you could tell it was thinner, so I got out a new needle, same package as the other two, and it did it again. I don't know what was going on like the eye was smaller on these two than the first. I ended up going back to the original bent needle and had no problems but it was kind of a frustrating ordeal... After reading all these posts I looked at my spool of thread and it claims to be "braided bead thread" I inspected the thread and it doesn't look braided to me. When I bend it in random places it doesn't fan out like a braid would and when I look through it into light it just looks like one piece not multiple. Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing, I don't know, but it almost feels as if I've been tricked or something?!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 198
trayck wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 6:19 AM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendall.L wrote the following post at Wed, Aug 6 2014 7:38 PM:

First off trayck if you didn't throw away that 125yds of Fireline that you didn't like, you could totally sell it on amazon or ebay and get your money back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kendall, No I didn't throw out the spool of Fireline that was crap. I use bits of it when I'm trying out ideas before I do a final run with good Fireline and  yes after I've gotten into the spool it still splits and frays.

Even if I wasn't using it was definately a faulty spool and it would not be of quality to sell on to some other person

T.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,523
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 2:22 PM

Kendall.L:

First off trayck if you didn't throw away that 125yds of Fireline that you didn't like, you could totally sell it on amazon or ebay and get your money back.

Second I don't know if it was said or not but fishing line or beading thread? Or is it just personal preference? I get that Berkley is (or seems to be) the original manufacture of Fireline and that kind of makes me question Beadsmith... It almost feels like they're ripping Berkley off??

Third Donna please let us know how your experience with Powerpro goes.

Kendall.............stick with us here, don't feel bad the ups and downs of Fireline, it has been going on for some time. I don't know that it will ever be resolved to anyone's satisfaction. I'd MUCH rather see Fireline fixed than have to use other products but it is still up in the air. If Tracy sold her Fireline knowing it wasn't the best, I'd sort of be waiting for the customer to come back and demand a refund, I'd never do that, I'd use if to tie up the garbage first, restring my bamboo wind chimes anything but turning on someone else to a lame spool of thread. Tracy's notion of doing samples using it is good too, my corkboard of shame is full of samples and one bracelet in particular I made at least 10 samples before I truly figured it out.....lots of line used, none of it critical or ever going to be sold. 

Berkley makes all Fireline. Beadsmith finds products that they like and rebrands them with their name. What that gives beaders is a chance to try things at a retail level in a bead shop without having to go all over and find it on the net. Beadsmith serves a real purpose in doing that. They gave me my first chance to handle and try out Xuron tools, I wanted good tools made in the U.S. and Beadsmith had rebranded a few of the Xuron tools. P.S., I loved them and replaced all my tools that I use daily with Xuron.

I am almost finished with my first project using Power Pro. I did buy the wrong test line, it is braided but not fused. I mistakenly chose 20# from the chart because I was looking at the diameter of the line and not thinking clearly. Duh moment. However, that 20# line threads nicely through my #10 John James beading needles. It just won't do too many passes through a smaller bead. Like I said, my mistake but it will warp up my loom for my next big project. Since it is not fused, it could be pierced with my needle on my loom project (or actually any project) so that is a small negative. I liked the feel of it and it took beeswax very nicely. 20# is surely bullet proof for me who wears my bracelets hard (and probably puts them away wet.........Kendall, just a horsey joke for you) and so I'll wear the heck out of it as a test. I am going to order a much lighter test like. Shanks uses 4#, but I'll but a spool of 6# also just for giggles. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
Kendall.L wrote
on Aug 6, 2014 5:51 PM

Oh ok I didn't realize it was a bad spool, sorry I thought you just didn't like the beading thread as much as the fishing line. My mistake, I would never try and sell someone else a faulty product either.  

Thanks for the tip about Xuron next time I'm looking for tools I'll be sure to keep my eye out for them. And now I understand how Beadsmith works. I have #10 Lance beading needles I don't know anything about the brand so maybe their crap I just thought a needle was a needle lol. Do you need to condition fishing line with beeswax? Not trying to be smart I just didn't know that trick. We rode and gave my horse a bath today so I really understand that joke lol!

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS