how to drill new holes in plastic beads?

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 31, 2013 3:47 AM

I've discovered jewelry making and am a bit addicted!  I have some plastic beads that I would like to make into earrings, however, I need to drill new holes in them. Looking at all the commercial sites, I think I need to buy a reamer...but will a manual be good enough or do I need an electronic one? And how do I do it? Some sites talk about lubrication or submerging in water, but I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 582
shanks wrote
on May 31, 2013 10:16 AM

Plastic is quite easy to drill. I  purchase my small drill bits from a local rock shop, like using a 1mm bit. If you can't find a local supplier, here is a link for drill bits.  http://www.biscotoolsupply.com   I am sure you can find other places, like a local tool supply business.

About drilling, a Dremmel will do. Using the small drill bit and holding the bead under water works for making a hole in a plastic bead, especially if you are enlarging the hole. If you don't have a Dremmel, any drill will work, but you will have to purchase a "collete" that the small bits fit into. The collete then fits into the larger drill.

Hope this makes sense.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS