pearls purchased have lost coating. What to do?

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
dianne wham wrote
on May 18, 2013 1:22 PM

I bought several strands of pearls at a Gem and Mineral show, carried them by plane out to my daughter, who does beading.  She was in the midst of a divorce, would not even look at them.  When I opened them back up at home, again, I found the pearls had rubbed together in the package, and the surface of the pearls was marred, the plastic bag they were in had a sort of powder in it, and the pearls are ruined.  What do I do?  The next year of the show she did not appear and I could not question her about the quality of the product, or ask for remuneration.  I have more than $200 involved, what can I do?  I have her card, but I don't feel good about talking to her over the phone long distance, and her English is not good. Am I stuck? --

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on May 18, 2013 2:26 PM

dianne wham:
I have her card, but I don't feel good about talking to her over the phone long distance, and her English is not good. Am I stuck? --

Could be, depending on her return policy. But you will never know if you don't  contact her.  It may be a matter of buyer beware. Sorry I don't have better news for you. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,520
D.M.Z wrote
on May 18, 2013 2:49 PM

The seller should have packaged them, each strand, rolled in tissue paper and padded the tissues in bubble wrap or some other "bump" proof material. Faux pearls are very delicate, the coating is pretty thin as a rule and they need to be treated carefully. Old faux pearl necklaces will always have marred surfaces where they rub on clothing....... How did you carry them? Were they loose in that plastic bag in your bag or purse? Was the sale held in very humid environment? If so putting them in plastic was probably the worst thing to do. Even the imitation pearls that we buy in a bead shop can take some movement and rubbing without being ruined.

Definitely contact her and ask.........she may be happy to replace them, especially at $200 worth of faux pearls. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 20, 2013 9:34 PM

I am just giving my opinion here: I buy alot of stuff at the Tucson Bead Shows. I never know what I am buying for sure. I would surely want to know if I sold any item that was a defective quality.

You will never know the answer, unless you contact the seller and give the benefit of doubt. (If you know someone who speaks her language, ask them to interpret for you)

Best of Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS