Beaded Kumihimo

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
carolina6 wrote
on May 11, 2013 10:35 AM

Hello, I'm Carol in Chicago

In our recent move, although my Marudai is present and accounted for, the weighted tama bobbins and my bag of fishing weights have taken a side trip--I expect I WILL find them again, so I don't want to replace them, as they're pricey;  I've gerry-rigged an alternative using large nuts and bolts from the hardware store (they're bobbin-shaped!) --they weigh about 2 oz each--I used 50% of that weight for the center counter-weight, but the braid isn't as tight as braids I did with my original set.  Looking for advice from any Kumihimo whizzes out there--do I need to increase overall weight for a tighter braid, i.e. heavier bolts and corresponding center weight---does anyone know what the standard weight for the tama-bobbins should be?  I was working with size 6 beads and C-lon cord, so the rope is pretty substantial--it''s OK, but floppier than my other braids have turned out...Hoping this community can offer some insight  Wink

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on May 14, 2013 9:32 AM

Wowee! A fancy kumi thingo!!!

I just have the original Hamanaka ones in square and circle. Oh and i don't use weights, when I'm finished, I just give the braid a little tug. You could just pop into your local fishing and tackle shop and buy some big sinkers.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ZenLina wrote
on May 15, 2013 8:29 AM

Beaded kumihimo is my newest obsession.  I also like to use size 6 beads and C-lon cord.  I was using fishing sinkers as weights for my beaded kumihimo until my husband freaked out and told me there is lead in fishing weights and I should use something else! 

I found a nice sized rock (actually a piece of unakite from when we went gem mining in NC) that I wire wrapped and tied to a binder clip.  It works great as a weight and it looks pretty too.  I never thought of using heavy bolts.  I guess keep trying bigger bolts until you find a weight that works best for you.  Good luck!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on May 15, 2013 11:39 PM

Actually, I DO use weights! Well just one, I don't count it as a weight though. Its just a big bulldog clip. I add on another clip if I want it heavier.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on May 16, 2013 6:09 AM

I change gram weight depending upon the weight of what I'm braiding with--but that said--for mostly jewelry projectsI recommend a 65 gram weight.  So you'll want your corresponding counter weight to equal the total gram weight of your makeshift tama.

If you can't find your tama Lacis is a good choice for equipment; they're still pricey but not prohibitive.

HTH,

Anne

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS