Beaded kumihimo, more than 8 warp?

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 12:44 PM

Is there some guarded secret for adding beads to a kumihimo design with more than 8 strands? I've tried a 16 twice now and it just keeps coming out funky no matter what I do. I've seen mention of figuring out the secret on some other blogs but then they never post the trick.  

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Apr 26, 2013 10:25 PM

Hold the bead in place with your finger and do the up and over with the other hand.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on May 1, 2013 4:58 PM

Ok, tried this yet again and it still keeps coming out funky. Beads will end up completely inside the braid. It's not a problem keeping the bead tucked under the thread, though it is a bit of a pain getting a finger in the little hole in the kumi disk, but it seems that the subsequent threads maybe distort the previous or something? I'm using S-lon with 8/0 beads if it makes any difference. I can crank out 8 warp beaded bracelets all day long but this is driving me crazy. Tongue Tied 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on May 1, 2013 11:23 PM

Maybe its your beads. They must be all the same uniform size and shape, or it will follow its odd curve and go to one side. That's what happened when I used cheap glass beads, they all went funny.

Can you post a pic?

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on May 2, 2013 11:28 AM

This is the last one I did, it's not the clean spiral Kumi usually is but I thought it was still interesting looking. It's probably something simple like I'm pulling the threads too much, or not enough or something, but I'm at a loss.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on May 2, 2013 12:19 PM

Looks like you didn't pull the strings tight. Not supposed to hang loose like yours, though it still looks nice. You could try attaching a small fishing sinker to the end, that will keep the tension nice and tight, and you can concentrate on getting those pesky beads to sit properly.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on May 2, 2013 8:44 PM

I usually work with about 2-3 ounces of weight on the end, but even worked up to 4.5 ounces trying this. Pulled the strings tight enough it made my fingers hurt but it still keeps doing the same crap. Seems like as I work it starts pulling the lower beads out of whack or something. Going to see if using 11's will make any difference, otherwise the husband is banning me from trying anymore since I'm about to rip my hair out. Thank you though for your help blueelephantart.

Does anyone have pics of beaded kumihimo on more than 8 threads just so I can see that it's real? lol

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on May 2, 2013 9:14 PM

Here's one that looks like yours, I found it on a blog. Somebody posted a comment why its like that and how to fix it.

http://rosebud101-fortheloveofbeads.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/i-hate-beaded-kumihimo-but-i-love-it.html

Have you looked at the videos on youtube? Maybe you missed a step. I googled and found lots of 8 thread bead kumi braids.

If you think this size beads is already fiddly, trying size 11 now will definitely make you go crazy!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS