Twisted wire beading needle

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 10:44 AM

Has anyone tried or used those twisted wire beading needles? Made by colonial. I just bought some and was looking at them, very fine, nice big eye which I am thinking will be much smaller once you go thru the beads.

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 1:33 PM

Kathy, be very interesting to see what you think of them after use. Since I do mostly looming, my experience with "other" needles is limited to what I bought when I was starting out to learn off loom beading stitches. Experiments. I found those needles a bit too flexy for almost anything I did except for stringing things and I rarely string anything other than fringes. For that they were perfect and the eye does compress almost completely to go through a bead. In addition to being too flexy for me, they took on a bendy thang, much like the thinnest beading needles do........ Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 7:44 PM

I personally don't care fore them. They are just too flimsy for my liking. I do mainly off loom and I need a needle that will go where I put it.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 527
shanks wrote
on Apr 25, 2013 8:23 PM

Hi Kathy,

Maybe a BIGEYE needle would work. If you use the twisted wire, do not pull the thread using the needle all the time. Very easy to cut the thread after a little use.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on May 2, 2013 12:27 PM

I made one from a tutorial. It sits on my keyboard, it'd probably be good for that manual bead spinner I bought recently, as the needles that came with it are too big.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 242
beadinstyle wrote
on May 4, 2013 4:50 AM

I have a favourite twisted eye needle which I use exclusively for knotting pearls and other beads. It comes in a couple of sizes, with a big eye, that has a little twist on the end that keeps the thread in. The only supplier I know of is Beadalon. It is not assertive enough for bead weaving. I do use the other kinds of big eye needles too, those with the split shank. Especially useful for those who are visually challenged. (And I swear that the optometrist just up the road owes me a holiday, or at the very least a weekend away ... there's nothing like a new seed beading class to show up old glasses, lol)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS