Stronger magnetic clasps for bracelets???

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 1:01 PM

The magnetic clasps I have used come apart if I do the least little thing, like taking my coat off. I guess a bracelet gets more of a work out than a necklace.  Do you think these clasps are only meant for necklaces???Please let me know if there are magnetic clasps than work for bracelets.  Thanks ahead of time.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,565
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 1:22 PM

The best mag clasps for bracelets are the fold over type........you get the mag holding power, but the fold over part keeps them from getting "smeared" off your arm. I love them. There may be some others, recently I saw one that closed and then maybe twisted or something like that....... I really did not explore it fully at the moment I saw it and now I'm not sure where it was except I am thinking BeadCats in Portland may have been the advertiser.

The first magnetic clasps were just too wimpy for words. I made some simple bracelets in RAW with 3mm firepolished beads and they just could not stay on my arm. I'd test them at the library where you reach and pick and pull and carry........... Even one that I put two clasps on failed the library test. Now the magnets are much better if you are sure to buy the stronger ones. I am an active person and have large dogs, so my bracelets get tested many ways......... Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
jyceL wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 5:26 PM

Hi,

what size would be good for a bracelet?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 219
on Apr 25, 2013 11:51 AM

Size is really a matter of preference, but much of the time, the larger the clasp, the better it will hold.  You want as much surface area on the magnet as possible so that it can make a strong connection.  Something else you can do for added security is to add a chain extender to both ends of the clasp.  That way, if the magnet does disconnected, the separate chain with a small lobster clasp could hold it on your wrist long enough to reconnect the magnet.

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 642
shanks wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 11:07 AM

The magnets are called Rare Earth magnets., and if you purchase them you will not be disappointed.  They are super strong. My LBS sells several styles of these magnets.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 554
CryssT wrote
on May 6, 2013 1:21 AM

Beadsmith has some small (think pencil eraser circumference) magnets that are incredibly powerful.  They come in four colors:  copper, silver, gold and gunmetal. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS