I just can't drawan audience

This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
kbeaudoin wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 5:49 PM

I set up a shop on Etsy a couple of months ago and have yet to have more than five people even look at my products.  I have done everything I have read suggesting ways to draw business:  listed several items, provided clear pictures, updated my personal profile, offered coupons, created a shop banner.  I just can't seem to draw anyone to my site.  I have used other social media as well, such as Instigram, Twitter, Posh Closet, and Wanelo to attract people to my shop.  Any other ideas out there?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 6:43 PM

kbeaudoin, Please remove your etsy shop from the body of your post. It is not allowed only in the signature line. I don't want to delete your post because of the address being in the wrong place. So please remove it. 

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on Apr 20, 2013 3:13 PM

Hi there Kbeaudoin.  I hear your pain.  I opened an Etsy store some time ago and I didn't make one sale.  That doesn't mean that Etsy is a bad place to sell but I really didn't do much to promote my store. I thought that just by having a store that looked great that people would find it and buy.  NOT. Plus there are tons of other artists on the same website doing the same thing as you.  Even if you have a stand alone website it still doesn't mean you get sales.  You have to market it, get your brand out there and for every business it's different.  What works for one business might not work for another.  Ask your friends to have parties where you can sell your pieces, network in your local chamber of commerce.  Do you have a Facebook account? I think that is a great social media site to get to know people, 'like' local businesses etc.  You have to market and promote your business.  It really isn't easy, you have to work REALLY hard at it and it doesn't happen overnight I'm afraid.  But don't ever give up. Smile I hope this helps.    

Margaret 

Michaela Jewelry by Design

http://www.michaelajewelry.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 100
kadone wrote
on Apr 20, 2013 10:19 PM

Personally, I wound up having to close my Etsy shop because I was losing money trying to do everything that they recommended. I haven't found the formula for making online work, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't. Keep trying. In the meantime, look into other methods of marketing, and read up on it.

I recommend, for starters:

Guerilla Marketing by Jay Conrad Levinson

And

Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy

The first one I have read. The second one was recommended to me and is on my reading list. I also recommend getting on the Guerilla Marketing mailing list. They send you tips to your inbox. What you do with them and how you implement them is up to you.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Apr 26, 2013 4:26 PM

I know this sounds backwards, but here's a general rule of thumb I follow when marketing my business: give to give, and you will get as a result. (I'll be posting the nitty-gritty details on my business blog soon.)

To sum it up though: in all of your marketing facets, be generous and give help to your customers. By that, I mean, offer useful information that they may be searching for, or will find useful.

Rather than writing a bunch of blog posts and Facebook updates all about your new products, for example, write some updates that will help your customers with problems they are experiencing. Even better if that problem is related to your industry.

Since we are jewelry sellers, for example, you can recommend some thoughtful things that your readers/follows could do for Mom on Mother's Day. (Buying some of your jewelry as a gift could be one of those things, but include some other tips and advice that is just plain helpful. Sharing your personal experiences will make this even more powerful.)

If you come from a place of authentically wanting to help your audience with a problem they are experiencing (Like finding a necklace to wear to an interview), then those followers will eventually trust you, share your content with others, and BUY from you. It's a gradual process, but by far more effective than posting links and images all over the interwebs, though you are welcome to keep doing that as well.

I hope that makes sense and is helpful!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 150
mosshollow1 wrote
on Jun 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Excellent advice, Megabgirl!

Not Ranked
Posts 21
VerdantEdge wrote
on Jun 17, 2013 10:35 AM

I'm so sorry to hear your Etsy experience has been so frustrating!  Hopefully some of the advice you find in this forum will be helpful. 

I've been up on Etsy for a week as of today and have recently started to get a lot of views as well as people favoriting items and my shop.  While this has not translated into sales yet, its definitely a start.  What has worked well for me is participating in Etsy on multiple levels besides just focusing on my shop.  I've spent time finding other peoples' work that I admire and favoriting their items and shops, I've created a couple of Treasuries, and I joined a few teams that felt like a good fit.  I do these things because I truly admire the items and shops I'm seeing, but it also helps make you more interesting to other Etsians, and demonstrates to potential customers that you are engaged and committed to being part of Etsy.  When someone favorites an item in my shop or starts following me, it makes me want to see what they are up to as well.  The result is that you start to build a network.

I've also been working on rewriting my item descriptions, titles, and tags to focus on how my jewelry benefits or meets the needs of my target market.  This is super difficult and its too soon to tell how effective my adjustments are, but it may be worth considering.  Etsy itself as well as many other jewelry artists and entrepreneurs have tons of useful suggestions and exercises for how to work on these things that I have found very helpful.

The bottom line is that all of these things are very time consuming and can take your time and energy away from making jewelry.  I'm still trying to find the balance between all the different "hats" we have to wear.  I'd love to hear people's suggestions on what kind of balance has worked for them.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
BDT Studio wrote
on Jul 18, 2013 9:35 AM

I have had my Etsy shop open for a little over 5 months. No sales yet but a reasonably steady stream of hits and favoriting. It looks like a lot of my hits are coming from my Facebook page; I made a business page and added an app called Etsy Theme Shop which I am very happy with. ETS has a number of promotional options.  When someone looks at my shop tab, there are some other Etsy sellers featured across the bottom. I am fine with this because my shop comes up on other pages. I regularly go in and hit those other shopkeeper links, and it pays off.
Another source of hits and favorites has been Etsy search, so it is very important to carefully choose your titles and tags. I have a garnet set that comes up in search regularly and is my most frequently favorited item. Etsy has blog pages with advice on how to optimize your tags. 
As another poster pointed out, it is important to have some positive feedback as a buyer so that your potential buyers have at least some idea of your reliability
Promotion is an ongoing job with no immediate gratification, you just have to keep at it. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 224
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jul 18, 2013 12:28 PM

My shop has been open for 3 months now and I've had a couple of sales.  So I'm not an expert, but here's what I've found so far.  I concur that having the best photos you can is important, with shots of both the entire item and close up detail.  Even more important is having the best, most descriptive item title that you can.  You have 140 characters, use them (well maybe not all of them, but as many as you can).  Think about the search that potential customers are going to do to get to your item.  I'm constantly tweaking my item titles and tags.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Zepph wrote
on Jul 19, 2013 12:14 AM

I think it really depends how much time you're willing to invest into getting your name out there. Some of the most successful Etsy shops that I have seen are often attached to a YouTube channel which (like other have suggested) provide some tips and tricks, tutorials or project ideas that your average jewelry maker might find interesting. Making videos is very time consuming, but you may be able to incorporate some of those things into Facebook/Twitter/Instagram etc. - just make sure that they are all connected together!

It could also be an idea to get close friends and family to share the shop with their friends. My mum wears things I make and shows them off to people and lets them know who to come to if they want one too ;). I hope you get some more attention on your store soon!

beadsnake.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS