Challenge Anyone? Accepted

This post has 80 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,561
D.M.Z wrote
on May 7, 2013 1:34 AM

TC, soooooo maybe one dynamite piece is going to be special and all a bride needs to have. That's my take on it. In my case I decided that the peripheral participants would get shortchanged and I'm working on those folks.........groom, etc.  

That is the whole concept of challenges, when it is all done and revealed, everyone just is amazed at what others thought of and executed. One of the main sounds at one of our local challenge reveals was OMG. Every piece was better than the last, it was a "black and white" challenge and the results could not have been more different from one another. Big, small, complex, simple, lotsa black, lotsa white, peyote, brick, netting, stringing.......... truly amazing.

OK, back to the beads, it is 11:30PM and I am coming alive........bwaaa haaa haaa. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 7, 2013 11:37 AM

TC -

Since, my first attempt failed.Sad I've had to start over and that put me behind. So, my bride had to make some tough decisions. So, she's going for the minimalist look. Something simple...REAL simple. And she'll save the money for a little extra pocket money on the honeymoon.

Of course if nothing else goes wrong maybe I can  catch up and give the Mother-of- the- bride & groom a little something. But I'm not holding my breath. I still have lots of ideas just not the time to get them all done. Tongue Tied

Now, I really should get back to my beads before they decide I've not paid enough attention to them today.Confused

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 13, 2013 11:53 AM
We're now into our 2nd full week of our June Wedding Challenge. So, how's it going? It seems to be taking me Foooorever to get this choker done. I may have it completed by the deadline but it maybe close. Some much for all the ideas I had and wanted to get done. I guess I'm just a slow beader.*L* Good thing I don't actually have a client that needs it by the deadline. I'd hate to be the reason her special day was ruined.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,561
D.M.Z wrote
on May 13, 2013 2:06 PM

Well, I started off at full speed and right now I am "dead in the water" on one project. I have a simple netted necklace that needs embellishment, two very basic pearl bracelets ditto and my two bouttonieres are in process...............and that is the problem. Peyote is not my best stitch, I had "early trauma" and gave it up and learned all the other stitches before going back to peyote.

This pattern was so easy to follow, it is tubular and circular (with increases and decreases) and the components came out perfect. I was so proud of myself that I called my instructor pal and bragged to her. Now all I have to do it attache the circular pieces to the tubular piece..............(sound of screeching to a halt here). They don't fit, so I am having to improvise, or I can redo the tubular in a smaller bead......sigh. As I type this I realize that making a new stem in a smaller bead size might just be the easiest way out of this predicament  The other flower bouttoniere should be easier (note word "should"), then I am on to embellishing the other items.

I was so frustrated this weekend that I put it all aside, and then I didn't feel well on top of it all and ended up spending some time working NYT crosswords......something totally different. Today I am feeling well and ready to attack the pink carnation again...........grrrrrrr, Tony-ette the tiger here, wearing red and ready to tackle the universe. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 14, 2013 10:30 AM

Wow. Not only is my bride ALSO simplistic (she might not know that yet), but she's cheap. My simple yet elegant plan has gone to H(you know where) in a hand bucket. No matter, at this point, I'm finishing it if it kills me. I can't find the one single component I want ANYwhere. Nor anything I could compromise on. So! THere'll be a slight alteration to the design, that's all. I won't have the outcome I envisioned, but it should be sufficient for my penniless bride. Now, I see SOME people are covering the entire wedding party. I can't wait to see what they she comes up with. Did I tell you, my bride has no friends? Yeah, none at all. So no big wedding party. In fact, the little witch doesn't even have a groom! She's such a fake. Hmm

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 14, 2013 11:34 AM

Donna & TC -

It sounds as if we've all hit some sort of problem with our pieces. I'll be real interested to see the solutions we all come up with.

While I'm sorry that there are problems, I so appreciate your sense of humor about them. I had a real bad day yesterday and needed the giggle you supplied. Thanks.Smile

Here's hoping that today goes better & we all get back on track.

Keep on Beading

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,561
D.M.Z wrote
on May 14, 2013 11:46 AM

TC........wow your H*ll went into a hand bucket? mine only goes in a hand basket. Is this an age thing? Or a location in the US thing? Interesting what people say in different places. Like my friends from east who will "bring" a person to someplace.......whereas I "take" them someplace. 

Well the carnation got a new stem using green 11/o delicas and the flower segments fit perfectly on it and they are all sewed down, pistils hanging out the top etc. Now all I have to do is engineer how the pin fits on it........mmmmm. Off to my hand basket again maybe. I do not want to spend the rest of the month on this item, so I'll "git 'er done" and move on. Or maybe I'll just move on..... and the groom can deal with a big old hat pin to anchor his carnation.

The other bouttoniere was to be a rose and I like the idea of making one, but to do so I may have to go out and BUY a piece of material. Needs to be stiff-ish......... I have two ribbons that I thought I was going to use, but I don't know that I have time to "re-engineer" that pattern too, so maybe I'm just onto the bridesmaid bracelets and decorating the netted necklace...........sigh. 

In our last local bead challenge I gave away a good pound of white beads, so I am happy that you all are making the bride stuff.............. as I have a deficiency of white beads on hand. 

Onward ladies......................... Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on May 14, 2013 1:11 PM

Wow, TC!  Is she marrying herself?

You're right Donna, we do "bring a friend," even down South.  But then, we get into some serioius dialect differences.  Down South, "bless your heart," is a polite way to insult someone.  I'll give you an example: "well, Sue Ann decided to mow her acre of a lawn with that little ol' push mower, bless her heart," (basically, you're calling Sue Ann's common sense into question)

I feel kind of embarrassed that my tiara and a bracelet are finished, now.  For a first effort, I think my tiara looks nice.  The bracelet was actually a birthday gift for my mother.  I belong to a book club and got this wirework bridal jewelry book for a really great price ($6, I think) and I've been really enjoying it.  I'm planning to find a couple of child size headbands so I can design headband tiaras for my two youngest nieces.  These are flower girl tiaras in the book; I'm just making a few adjustments so the girls can wear them to church or for special occasions.

I hope I can say this here- I've developed an excellent business relationship with the owner of Off the Beading Path in Occoquon, VA, over the last several years, so if there's anything specific you're having difficulty locating, please let me know and I'll put a call in to her as they do not sell over the Net.  She will, however, take phone orders from me specifically, so if you guys ever want to do a group order or some such, I would be happy to help.  I discovered she carries Bead Smith 49 strand beading wire for a very reasonable price.  Most places(including FMG) charge around $30 for a 30 ft. roll.  She charges $10.79!  BIG difference!  And I've discovered what a big difference there is between the 49 strand and even the 19 strand. She will wave sales tax, too, if you have a tax ID.  So let me know if this was okay to post here, and if anyone ever needs anything.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 217
trayck wrote
on May 16, 2013 3:19 AM

What do you mean I have only 15 days left!!! [insert panic struck smilie here]

I ended up buying  some Toho beads that were a close match to the Delica's I have.  In my eye I can see there is a slight difference in colour but to everyone else they look the same so maybe it's just me.Confused

I've put together and pulled apart about 6 different samples of a necklace and pendant  (just small samples but still time consuming for me anyway) as each time I do one I end up with another idea and have to try it out incase I like the look of it better.

My bride is only getting a bracelet and necklace (if I can make up my mind on the design) and the groom might get a boutonierre if he's lucky.

T.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 161
xXfantasyXx wrote
on May 16, 2013 8:27 PM

Egad! I'm late getting on here. 

I'll keep praying for you Val:)  My family and I used to travel quite a bit.  But not very much recently.  I hope you enjoy your tripSmile

I've finished the bracelet and earrings I was working on for the bride.  Now I'll try to make a choker for the mother-of-the-bride.  I might make a pair of earrings to match the choker.  Also, there is a new bead shop opening up near where I live.  I'm so excited!  When it opens I'll probably be spending hours looking at all the pretty beadsStick out tongue

I hope everyone can work out the problems they're having.  I'm sure everyone's finished pieces will be lovely :)

Hang in there ladies!

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 217
trayck wrote
on May 18, 2013 4:50 AM

For those of you who are making brooches for the mother of the bride or boutonierres (however you spell it) for the groomsmen and are trying to work out how to attach a fastener.  Ever thought about using magnets?

Check out this link for DIY Magnetic brooch.  I think I might venture to the $1 store tomorrow and raid their small fridge magnets.  (If you cut and paste the link below make sure to take out the extra spaces I put in after the http to deactivate the link so it posts)

http      ://verilymag.com/diy-wear-a-brooch-without-leaving-a-mark/ 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 20, 2013 9:41 PM

I am working on a wedding set for another challenge.. so maybe I could make something different for this challenge. hum, June first deadline, I can do that.

Especially since I have wild ideas running around in the :Hollow of my head"Zip it!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,561
D.M.Z wrote
on May 21, 2013 12:29 AM

Trayck..............and I just happen to have bought some monster magnets....... So happy you mentioned that and it might just work out to be the best solution ever. Thank you, thank you. 

I did get a bit excitable about the article though. A lot of the bigger older pins/brooches were meant to be worn on hats, sweaters or coats, not silk shirts or like that. Regular sized ones had a bit thinner pinstems and didn't really leave holes in jackets, but would probably still mar a silk shirt. Guess you had to "live through that "age" to understand that you just did not plop a pin on a shirt. 

Off to dig out my monster magnets...........thanks again. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 22, 2013 4:59 PM

Yeah! I finally got my brides choker completed.

I've started to make a simple rivoli framed pendant for the mother-of-the-bride/groom. But as usual my first attempt at this failed.Sad I think my instructions may have missed a step. Now, I've got to start again.

We'll see if I can get this finished before June first.

Oh, and on top of all the mishaps my computer burned up a few days ago. I'm having to borrow a lap top. I'll be able to set up the reveal thread but not able to load my project picures at the same time. As the lap top I'm using does not have a photo program.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've all come up with.

Big Smile

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on May 22, 2013 10:38 PM

ok, the wedding necklace (#3) is done. (again) and I hate it (again) so back to the dis-assembly line. Then on to #4. I'm really starting to dislike this picky little bride-zilla.

Page 5 of 6 (81 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS