Challenge Anyone? Accepted

This post has 80 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:09 PM

Hi, Donna.  I see a soft yellow cast on the 109 (not gold) in your pic.  Just my observation.

Ottercat Coffee

04-27-13 (1808 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:09 PM

Ottercat...............oooooh, good thinking. I originally was thinking a bead embroidered tie of some sort,  your idea is a step up from my random thought. However, I have the groom and one groomsman started on my work table. Both are over my skill levels.........LOL. Typical of me to over extend my limited beading skills on a challenge. But that is typical, my mind goes into warp drive and I"m off. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:14 PM

Donna -- that's how you advance your beading skills.  Maybe I'll give it a go if time permits (and I can get the details worked out -- and the bits & pieces).  Have fun!

Ottercat Coffee

04-27-13 (1814 PDT)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:22 PM

Ottercat, I see that yellow cast in the flippie (plastic, a pox on it....well maybe not a pox I do like SOME things that are plastic)........but if I take a few out and  put them on a needle the yellow recedes and it is more consistent with the normal AB finish which is multi-colored. I wonder if the base bead is actually crystal, and that could be where the problem lies. There is no other yellow that is that light though, I don't believe anyway, most of the yellows are at least like lt. butter and darker from there.

I firmly believe that Miyuki has made an error in not naming the actual color and the finish on all their delicas, although if they were to do that now I'd be in the front line of the humungous protest just howling and waving a sign. I couldn't face renaming all of the colors.....egads. The "color namers" at the company where I get my delicas wholesale are verrrrry creative ladies and I have more than one bead society lady who prefers their names (much more artsy and humorous) to the mundane ones on some of my flippies. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Apr 27, 2013 8:36 PM

Donna, I can see that having a 'sampler' would be helpful (with the suppliers name/part# and your own).  Changing the names would just confuse the issue, not to mention the headaches it would cause.  By-the-way, how could I take the tarnish off my copper delicas (already in a beadwork -- celtic knot)?  Any suggestions?

Ottercat Coffee

04-27-13 (1835 PDT)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
trayck wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 1:06 AM

Donna,  A big thank you for your help.  From your picture I'm a bit more sure that the beads I have might be the 0041.

I went to another branch of the place where I usually buy my beads from as it is a bigger store, only to find they are discontinuing selling the delicas and had them all dumped on a clearance table with all the colours mixed together Angry I spent about half an hour siftting through the packets on the table before I finally gave up.

On the up side I have found on the internet a proper 'bead store' which is fairly close by.  I was so excited looking at their website as they stock heaps of different size/shape/style beads.  I can't wait until next Saturday to go and check them out.  I don't know if they'll have the seed beads I'm after or something that will be close but I'm sure to find some other beads I need for a project I don't know about yet

T

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 1:25 AM

Tracey, wow, a store giving up on delicas............totally strange to me but maybe they are going to focus on Toho's instead. Toho cylinders have lots less color selection unless you go to the Aiko's which are terribly expensive. If I saw delicas on a sale table, I'd be camping out because even though I have almost every delica color (and some of the discontinued ones too) some are in short supply. I originally bought some colors in 5 gram packages to make up my "dog" color palette, and it becomes clear real soon which ones you reorder and reorder and which ones are still hanging around with a gram or two after about 5  years. 

I hope you have much success with the new store you discovered. It always helps to know there is somewhere you can go and get missing components for a project. Even though we are a tiny town on the coast in Oregon, we actually have two bead stores. One is higher priced specialty items and the other has gobs of Delicas, Tohos in multiple sizes along with a WALL of Czech beads with a faboo deal......you buy 10 items off the Czech wall and you get a marvy discount. They have Swarovski crystals, pearls, and tons of semi-precious beads and all the metal components and pins and clasps.........it is a relief to walk in with a project and be able to walk out with the goodies to make it. Just walking up to the door makes me happy, and the sales people are all beaders. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 5:12 PM

ottercat:

Maybe I'll give it a go if time permits (and I can get the details worked out -- and the bits & pieces).  Have fun!

Ottercat Coffee

04-27-13 (1814 PDT)

Well, I for one am gonna hope time will permit you to play along with us. I'd love to see what you would come up with.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Apr 28, 2013 6:05 PM

Although we have no REAL bead stores (one about an hour away, over priced and nasty woman runs it) with in a 2 hour drive, one of the craft stores carried toho's. Went there a week or so ago, and they're all on a rack marked 50%. Where they used to be is obviously being reset, some strange name I never heard of. I'm only praying it's not another Blue Moon type thing..... It's a pain when the only quality you can find is on the net.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on Apr 30, 2013 12:13 PM

Today is the day we "officially start our June Wedding Challenge.

So, if you haven't made up your mind to play along or haven't already started working on it. Then,Start Already!

All items must be completed no later than June 1st 2013 so that we can all reveal at the same time. There will be a thread set up to show off out goodies.

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

And if everyone enjoys this one maybe we will do an August challenge of some kind.

Have fun with your beads.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 157
xXfantasyXx wrote
on Apr 30, 2013 5:38 PM

I've started my projects.  I can't wait to see everyone's work :)  I think after we finish this challenge, starting a new one for August would be great!

~Grace~

Do your best & let God do the restSmile

Not Ranked
Posts 95
snybee wrote
on Apr 30, 2013 6:45 PM

Count me in on this challenge!  I'm excited to start coming up with something. It will probably take me until April 30 to figure out a design and then until the end of May to get it done because I'll keep changing it! Anyone who needs inspiration, just watch Say Yes to the Dress or I Found the Gown on the TLC channel -- that should inspire anyone wanting to make something for a bride.

Sandy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 1, 2013 12:39 PM

snybee -

Glad that you decided to joy our challenge. I have seen both shows you mentioned and while I love seeing the gowns I  could do without the "brides". Some of them really need some attitude adjustments.

trayck - How goes the bead hunt? I hope you find something you can use.

fantasy - I'm glad you are enjoying this challenge and want to do another in August. We'll get through this one first and then maybe we can do something about one in August. Not taking away from your beading time for this one but, when you have a moment think about what you might like to see the August challenge be.

Have fun with your beads everyone!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on May 1, 2013 1:15 PM

SueEllen:

Any chance I can join in on the challenge?  Just so happens I recently purchased a book on wirework wedding jewelry and I have nearly completed my very first bridal tiara.  I'd love to show it off; for a first effort, I think it's turning out pretty decent.

And yes, at long last, I am back!  We are nearing the end of the Easter season, so my cantor schedule should finally lighten up.  I have been so busy with my singing duties for Lent and Easter; I've frequently sung two to three Masses a weekend! and I've frequently been more ill than usual.  ( I fear I will always be ill now- it's just a matter of degrees of illness)  But, you know, I am bucking for sainthood!(lol)

Thanks!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,960
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 1, 2013 1:44 PM

Welcome back Val

I have no objections to your joining our challenge.

This is a friendly challenge only ment to get the creative juices flowing and the forums energized.

We'll look forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Have fun!

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 3 of 6 (81 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS