Hi there and a question about bead weaving thread

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
NeedBeads wrote
on Apr 17, 2013 5:29 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the Forum and it looks to be a very informative place, so I am looking forward to reading everyones tips etc.

I also would like to ask a question about which beading thread is the best to use for off loom bead weaving.

My main requirement is something that will hold its shape well even with heavier designs but it must be fine enough to make several passes through the seed beads also. I have made a lovely bracelet tonight with 6mm crystals and pearl seed beads but it just has no substance to it and, possibly partly due to the weight, just kind of flops down the wrist when it is worn.

I felt that I had kept my tension maintained, but perhaps I didnt pull the thread as much as I needed to? I used Nymo for this project btw.

I have read up about loads of different threads, Fireline, Wildfire, Silamide etc etc. I am not sure which out of these would be the most likely to help me to keep my work sturdy. Or is this more than a thread issue do you think?

Any personal recommendations on any threads that are good for this purpose would be so useful, and any other tips that you lovely people may be able to give me will also be most gratefully received!

Many thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you Big Smile

x

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,459
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 17, 2013 7:53 PM

NeedBeads, with crystals and pearls you are getting into some heavy weights even in a bracelet length. Nymo is flexible and needs to be stretched before you start using it. For what you are doing, I'd recommend going with Fireline in 6# weight. It the crystals and pearls are a large part of the off loom project, maybe even 8# would be better. Fireline is very sturdy and has proven to hold up very well. Both of these should go through any crystals, pearls and quality seed beads for at least one or two passes. 

Wildfire in crystal is ok too, but Wildfire is thicker than Fireline and Wildfire in the smoke with have problems with the black chipping off, so stick with the crystal. Fireline comes in a smoke but it is not like it is painted on and while a faint bit of smudge may end up on your fingers, it won't chip off. You can run a tissue or your beeswax or thread heaven down the Fireline smoke and it will remove the small amount of loose coloring. 

Some of those other threads may be just as good or better, but some are also very pricey. I buy 300' spools of Fireline and the big cones of Nymo D and that keeps me happy and my work is not known to break. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 198
on Apr 18, 2013 11:04 AM

Agreed with Donna!

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 47
MigotoChou wrote
on Apr 18, 2013 3:54 PM

Yep, another vote for Fireline here!

Amanda

MigotoChou

Not Ranked
Posts 2
NeedBeads wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 7:52 AM

Hello everyone!!! Thank you so much for your replies. I am definitely going to try some Fireline on your recommendations.

One thing I didnt know was that you need to stretch Nymo before you use it!! That may not have helped much either, so next time I use it for any lighter weight projects I will know to do that first....is it just a case of stretching it by hand?

Many Thanks again

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Apr 19, 2013 5:34 PM

for the Nymo, it's just stretch by hand.

for fine projects (think 11 o's)  I use 4# Fireline and it is great and for heavier projects the 6# or 8#.

and welcome to the boards.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 28
EmmaBaby123 wrote
on Apr 21, 2013 12:36 PM

Hi,

With regards to beadwork, i always use Fireline threads.  They're strong & i really haven't had to use anything else!  You may also want to try Silamide which I used to use, but i prefer Fireline.

Emma x

For knotting techniques & tips & how to create macrame plant hangers, bracelets & necklaces, check out:  http://www.freemacramepatterns.net/

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Apr 22, 2013 1:08 PM

This thread issue has been a bit of a nightmare for me.  I didn't realize there were different weights of Fireline, and it does make a difference with a crystal bracelet.  It seems to me like different types of projects need different types of threads and sometimes you do not realize it until you are half through!!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS