Question about Kumi disks

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on Apr 9, 2013 3:15 PM

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. I have been using the Beadsmith kumi disks, both large and small, only with S-lon thread and after a few necklaces the slots don't hold the thread well anymore and the braid starts distorting. Has anyone else run into this problem with the disks seemingly wearing out? I even left my disks to rest for a month and a half, as hard as it was, and it didn't make any difference. Do I need to just start buying disks in bulk?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
SewSewBeader wrote
on Apr 9, 2013 11:23 PM

(Due to Limited income) I got a 16x24 foam core board, the one the kids use for science projects. I make my own disk, in different sizes. and shapes. I different sizes of cords and threads. I make them with sharpie markers, to remind me not to use yarn or large cord on the disk that I use thin line.

Hope this helps ya.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 208
on Apr 10, 2013 10:59 AM

What size S-lon are you using?

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Moonlytes wrote
on Apr 10, 2013 12:24 PM

18 I believe it is called, comes in 77 yard spools. It's all the bead stores around here carry.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 208
on Apr 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Allie recommends owning 2 different braiding discs... one for the smaller thread like S-lon, and one for thicker thread like rattail, that way you don't risk stretching out the disc with any of the larger thread.  Still strange though... we've sold hundreds of them in various sizes and to my knowledge haven't seen that complaint before if you are using just smaller thread.   

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on May 18, 2013 12:45 PM

Maybe the foam quality is different. Have thought of buying the original disks made by Hamanaka? I have them in both square and circle. They last a very long time.

I've used mine with 8 ply wool, S-Lon #18 beading cord, s-lon 400 tex, 4 ply crochet cotton, cotton floss and #20 tatting thread.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS