Brick Layering a Belt with Bugle beads

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
sunnystars wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 3:12 AM

Hello all! I'm fairly new to beading, and I'm very much set on recreating this belt for a costume.

My problem lies in that I am not quite sure how to get the effect I want? I initially thought I was supposed to use a loom, but I then the bugle beads would have to be vertical rather than horizontal. Not only that, but they are brick layered as well.

Would it be better to just sew them on a piece of fabric rather than the thread? I am a fast learner, but really, any advice would help.

Thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 7:40 AM

Sunnystars, First off welcome to the forum. 

I think I would do in as an embroidery piece. I think as an embroidery piece would be much stronger than any other way of making it. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 219
on Mar 22, 2013 10:55 AM

Agreed with Sue... although loom would work better than say doing a long peyote piece, you are still just using essentially 2 total threads.  If while being worn it ever catches on something, it would be a lot of work to fix it.  Belts tend to need to be significantly stronger and more durable than jewelry given their location and general purpose.

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 22, 2013 12:46 PM

sunny, I will add my "me too" to the two posts already here. I would suggest you put your bead embroidery on a backing like Lacy's Stiff Stuff (comes only in white) or on Nicole's Beadbacking (comes in all colors). So if you are going with a similar color to the one in the picture, either will do. Both come in sheets of prox 8x11, so you'll have to cut them into the sizes and attach them end to end, then draw the design on them roughly so you stay the same throughout.

For the stitches, I'd look at both backstitch and couching. I'd work both with a fairly sturdy thread, like Fireline 8# if that will work with the bugle beads, or 6#. With couching you'll only need one thread through each bead, not as sturdy, with backstitch you'll get two threads through each bead which is much better. Don't try to stitch TOO tight as a belt will need flex and I'd put a seed bead on each end of each bugle. In the pattern where it shows all white, use white beads for the look. Let us see it when it is done too. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS