Numbering inventory

This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Dec 29, 2008 7:16 PM

I went to several craft fairs this season and noticed that many people had a lot of their stuff numbered for inventory purposes. I would like to start this sort of system with my own stuff now that i'm getting to the point i've got a lot more to track now. My question to my fellow beaders is what sort of numbering system to you use with your things if u use such a system? I read an article recently about some1 who included their materials cost within their number so that when selling they knew what kind of play they had in price when haggling with some1, I really like that idea and just wondered what other systems people had in labeling.

Thanks for the info!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 29, 2008 9:37 PM

yes, I have a system like that and I just spent several minutes typing with my sore hand pecking away at the keys and somehow I lost it into cyberspace,  Confused  so I will retype it tomorrow. Hopefully I will feel better and not hit a wrong key only to watch it vaporize into cyberspace.Embarrassed

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 11:56 AM

oh i hate when that happens, and when u are sore or sick its twice as frustrating >.< I totally feel for ya.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,237
popnicute wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 10:54 PM

damn, i just got one of those lost in webspace too >_>

anyway, i used to number my stuffs with alphanumeric codes. like earrings with E and then followed with 4 digits number (E-####) and so on.

but then i found it a bit difficult to find the product in my computer. so now i just name them. easier to remember for me than just unpersonalized numbers.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 7:05 AM

When I had some things at a store, they required my booth number and then an item number. I just did everything sequentially. This number was keyed in when purchased so that I could go online to see what had sold before I went there. That way I would know what to bring to restock.

Since I don't have that booth anymore, I don't number mine. But it would be very simple to do. I agree that putting the cost of the item into your number would be helpful if someone comes up at a show and asks to make a deal. You just simply have to set up your pattern and then make up the rest. For example, if all of your items are under $100, then you can say that the first two numbers are your cost, then add a few more numbers. So you have $20 in a bracelet, number is 2001. The next bracelet that you have $15 in number is 1502. If you have any pieces that are over $100 then I would make sure that all the numbers are based on the first three digits.

10001 for $100 necklace

02001 for the $20 bracelet

01502 for the bracelet

I would hate for you to have a $100 item and mistake it for $10 in the heat of the moment. Not that you would but if you have a helper, they might if they don't know your stuff really well.

If I ever did a system again, it would be something like this. That way is it simple and easy. If you added a letter for (N) for necklace, (E) for earring, etc, it would allow you to reuse numbers ( 2001E and 2001N ) so that you don't get long numbers. Also, this would allow you to track that you have 25 pairs of earrings but 75 bracelets and 10 necklaces easily. That way you can tell easier what is either selling or what you need to make more of.

Just my thoughts. I am sure that there are other ways and probably better. You just need to try to think it out ahead of time to prevent having to redo it later.

Best of Luck with it!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 12:21 PM

Shawna,

I sold costume jewelry for about 15 years, I had to have a system. The important thing for YOUR system is to decide what you need to know most, and work a system around that. I also sold in shops, so had to have my dealer number FIRST in the line. I decided to "date" my inventory using letters A was the first year of my purchasing, B for the next, etc. On the tags that went to the shop, the next 5 numbers were the sequential ones and that was it. For my own purposes I did have some other info in the paper record I kept, which was easily converted into a database format when I had to go that way. The intervening numbers and letters were my cost of goods and a guide as to what category to put it in on my web site, and finally a description column for just that, manufacturers name, type of metal, color, etc.

As inventory aged, I could mark down so it would sell off. If a dealer asked for a discount, I could look at my records and make a good decision on how much.

As a seller, even though I had a huge inventory and worked a full time job in addition to doing shows, and having stuff in a shop, I never seemed to lose track of what my little darlings cost me. With my beading, there is so much less in my inventory that I'd be in favor of a simple inventory system, date, cost, and a sequential number. Maybe put the sequential first, then the letter for the date, then a disguised cost number. Just my opinion, but you'll figure out quickly what you need to know most.

Donna in WestOR

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 5:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I like the N, E, B for necklace, earrings, bracelet. When just looking at control numbers you can see what you have the most of.

I like the year being represented by a letter so that it cuts down on the amount of numbers you use, id love to keep it to 4 numbers max and that helps.

I wanted to see what other people did or what kinds of ideas ppl had so that i could develop a system that I won't want to change later :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Dec 31, 2008 11:28 PM

All great ideas, I never thought about numbering everything but I can see where it would be necessary or useful.  What I'm thinking for myself is something like this:

115S04 (a $115 Set number 4) [not that I have anything that expensive in stock right now]

020N02 ($20 Necklace #2)

015B06 ($15 Bracelet #6)

005E01 ($5 Earrings #1)

My thought is that the price wouldn't get confused with the actual stock number so you can use a 3-digit system if you had to because you'd have the item type designation separating the 2 number sets (S, E, B, N).  Does it make sense?  Would this work?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,237
popnicute wrote
on Jan 1, 2009 10:56 AM

i'd give at least 3 digits for numbering.. i'm sure at some point you'd reach 100 necklace creations! maybe 4 eaven if you're really productive :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 1, 2009 12:58 PM

Dawn, Yes, it makes sense, all of it; did you forget about Rings and Brooches?  With B for bracelet you'd need something else for brooches.  [P for "Pins"?]  Would you consider a Cuff as being a bracelet?  Or would you list it as "C"?   Then, there are all sorts of Miscellaneous items...  ;-)

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Jan 1, 2009 1:26 PM

popnicute:

i'd give at least 3 digits for numbering.. i'm sure at some point you'd reach 100 necklace creations! maybe 4 eaven if you're really productive :)

You're right, Kay, unless I start selling, and stop creating, I will end up with well over 100 items in stock!

EGADS, if that happens then I'll have to change my philosophy about a person never having too much jewelry!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 791
on Jan 1, 2009 1:59 PM

Gosh, Stan, I didn't even think about the rings and brooches -- I have about 3 drawers of my jewelry chest full of them, although they're all either inherited from my Grandma or things I bought for myself, none are hand-crafted.  However, I did see a ring on Sue's site that I fell in love with and I'm considering trying to make something similar (Thank you, Sue!!).

You're right, I should consider a 2-letter designation to include maybe BL for bracelet, AL for anklet and BR for brooch.  And I think I would list a cuff as C.  Actually a 3-letter system might work better for me because I'm trying to get into the magnetic jewelry side too, but I want to keep that inventory separate from the others.  So MBL would be magnetic bracelet, MAL would be magnetic anklet.  Let's see, for miscellaneous....KC for keychain, CF for cell phone fob...can I make it up as I go along, like I do with almost everything else I do?  LOL

And, you remind me and unknowingly hold me accountable for my commitment to try to learn new techniques this year, to broaden my scope from just simple stringing.  I want to learn off-loom weaving and start incorporating some chains into my designs.  And although I LOVE the look of wireworking, I think I'll put that off to next year.

Does anyone else have a problem with too many beading techniques to learn, too LITTLE time?  Or is it just me?   Hmm   Huh?   Confused

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Jan 1, 2009 2:10 PM

Dawn - I agree! I see something wonderful that someone posts a picture of and think "I want to do that!"...which of course means a trip to the LBS! ( Darn). So off I go and get the supplies. Then...I get impatient, frustrated, aggreviated, mad, then pi***d off. And that is the end of it. I try and try and try and just don't get some of it.

Anyway...adding chain for me got easier after I got comfortable with making wire loops myself. Great video on www.beaducation.com . So you might check out their free video tutorials if you haven't. FMG has some too and Jewelry Lessons.

Once I got the loops down, it was so much easier. So if you decide to do that, then make that your one plan for the year. That way maybe you will stay focus ( for me I don't think that is possible...)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jan 1, 2009 2:10 PM

SunriseJewelry:

Does anyone else have a problem with too many beading techniques to learn, too LITTLE time?  Or is it just me?   Hmm   Huh?   Confused

No, it's "just" 'too little time'!

Stan B.

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
Shawna18 wrote
on Jan 1, 2009 9:28 PM

I'm thinking to help with numbers getting too high, somehow get the year in the code so that each year u start at 01 again. But as one person was saying, years are represented by letters to keep from having too many numbers in the sequence, but rather than saying my 1st yr beading is A, i will designate a number for each letter of the alphabet. A=1, B=2, C=3. So 2008 is H. So far i like this idea so years can always be represented by a single letter vs 2 numbers, making the code that much longer.

The 5th necklace made in 2008 whose materials cost $10 would look like N05H10.

The numbers are broken up for easier reading, i identify the product, how much it cost to make, and its individual number. I can't even imagine making more than 99 pieces of any one thing in any 1 year so this should work.  Doing fewer types of products helps the identifying label, but good point on what about pieces beyond the most basic. I don't do cuffs and if i did they would still be a B for bracelet i think. I don't usually use the word brooch, i use lapel pin and just plain pin, so they would be a P for me. Others might be C for cell phone charm, Z for zipper pull, K for keychain, O for christmas ornament (tho so far i've not kept track of those, too numerous and too alike one another, but later i plan to try more complex bead weaving techniques so they would be included then) I can't think of having made anything more than that for extras, maybe in the future, like M for magnet. I do like some1's idea of 2 letter designation labels tho, but i think i can make due with one myself. 2 letters help you remember what it is more because of it being a step closer to spelling the word out, and helps so you don't confuse it with the single letter year code as well. Maybe i will use 2 letters now that i think on it more, we shall see later :)

I'm still thinking on the system and getting more ideas from all of you. I really don't want to start a system until im really happy with it so i won't have to change it later when i've decided it don't work :P

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS