best way to start beading?

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
nitason wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 5:08 AM

im interested in anyway that will start me beading.   what supplies do i need? is there a good kit?  ive just got done making a couple of paper beads.  i think i will enjoy making them. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 18, 2013 9:25 AM

Grats on making your paper beads! They are fun, aren't they?  I make them too. I love that the beads are never the same, even if you roll it from copies of the same pattern.

As to your kit, I think it depends on what you want to make. Do you want to do wire work, stringing, macrame, bead weaving, looming? There's even more types of beading, I can't think of atm.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nitason wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 12:11 PM

i was thinking of loom work maybe indian beading.   i think they are very beautiful. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 1:05 PM

If you are not near a shop where you can take a class.............I do recommend one beginner book as it is the ultimate book to walk you through looming. It is "Beading on a Loom" by Alexandra Kidd (the actual name is Beginner's Guide to Beading on a Loom, but when I've seen it for sale it has been mostly labeled as Beading on a Loom). She covers the basics of beads, looms, thread, etc. first and then launches you into a simple beaded bracelet. It takes up NINE PAGES just full of pictures of EVERY step of the process. 

She then moves you onto increasingly interesting and more complex loomed pieces. This book is a total treasure and she does most of it on one of those metal (cheap) indian bead looms. My only note is to make sure the loom is flat and the ends are parallel to each other or the work will come out crooked.

Look for it on Amazon or AbeBooks for the best price and maybe even a great used copy. I think it only comes in softcover. It is printed by Search Press in UK, so if you are in the US, try buying a copy here as conversion rate right now is hard to take.

What is that red thing your beagle? is holding? A glove or some dog toy, anyway, happy looking pup there. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nitason wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 1:11 PM

thank you for the info i will look up the book you mentioned.   his name is Basil Henry and his holding an old hunting cap.Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,360
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 1:40 PM

Basil Henry? OK, now I am laughing........he does look rather dignified and I guess the name suits him just fine. Our boxers are Zito, Jolie B, and Uly..........so we are into the not so common names also. 

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nitason wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 1:48 PM

my other dog is named Beauregard and my bird is Sterling Hayden  .....im glad that i gave you laugh!  they aqre all gods creatures

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 32
Summer152 wrote
on Apr 7, 2013 8:56 PM

It is very interesting to make  paper beading. I also made a panda beads. It is really beautiful.Smile

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on May 24, 2013 4:03 AM

You can take some teaching courses. Beginner books and DIY making tutorials online are also recommended.  Search on Google and lots of results will come out.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS