About earhooks ...

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 249
beadinstyle wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 9:14 PM

What shape earhooks do you prefer? I have decided I really don't like earhooks with a flattened piece on the round. My imagination maybe, but they don't feel as comfortable as the round wire.

But to get a simple earhook, non-flattened wire, with a short coil, (base metal) is very difficult. Even many sterling hooks have a flattened piece. Some earrings I make need a longer wire than a simple loop and bead. Please don't suggest I make my own ... I don't have the time. 

What style of earhook do you prefer and why? Do you change styles according to your project? I'd love to know!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 18, 2013 9:39 AM

I don't make my own ear hooks... I tried to a couple of times, but they just went in the bin, cos i couldn't get it perfect like the shop bought ones!

I buy fugly costume jewelry earrings, chop off the bits I don't like and keep the ear hooks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 11:29 AM

I make most of my ear wires,  mainly because anything but silver or gold filled will make my ears really red within minutes.

I will usually use 20 or 21 gauge sterling silver half hard wire, I will make a loop in the one end then, I use a sharpie pen or other small round item to form my wire, slightly turn the very end of the wire outward.  After I have my wire formed, I will file the ends to do away with the rough ends. Then I will work harden it so that it keeps it shape. You can work harden it by either firmly tapping it with a hammer, or putting it in a tumbler with stainless steal shot, and letting it run for about an hour. This will not only harden your silver, it will take any marks out of it from the making process and shine the ear wire.

Hope this helps.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 18, 2013 12:02 PM

beadinstyle:

What style of earhook do you prefer and why? Do you change styles according to your project? I'd love to know!

Ruth - Like Sue I make my own earwires generally. But, I do buy surgical steel earwires for those people that have sensitivity issues.

I do change the style of my earhooks depending on the style of the earring.

Hope this helped.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Mar 19, 2013 8:39 AM

I use the french style ear wires with the flattened part of the wire.  I usually buy the ones with the coil and ball.

I've made my own before, and it really doesn't take very much time. You could get one of these to speed it up maybe. It's called Easy Ear Wire Maker.

Cat

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 198
on Mar 20, 2013 7:57 PM

Making your own from wire like some of the others have said would definitely be the most affordable way.  We also use a lot of leverbacks, as they are interchangeable and make it very unlikely that you will ever lose the attached pieces that are on the headpin or wire you use.  Here is a picture of them, then a photo with them used to attach some wire earrings:

The little rubber stoppers can also be useful for any post or coiled earwires to keep them from accidentally slipping off or getting bumped off.

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
lemonfrog wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 6:23 AM

To make your own earhooks, which is the best wire to use? Quite strong, i would imagine? 
Would you just need a pair of pliers to bend it?

Visit me at my Lemonfrog Etsy shop! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 5, 2013 7:02 AM

I use sterling silver or gold filled, half hard 20 or 21 gauge. Malleable enough to shape, but also strong enough after work hardening to hold its shape. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS