I'm a newbie from Washington

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 10, 2013 8:54 PM

I'm new at both beading and blogging, as you will all find out soon enough.  I was very happy to discover you all here.  It's a question I have that brought me.  Can anybody tell me if it's o.k. to use Beadalon stringing glue on crimps and knots to give them a little extra strength?

I'm really glad to find people to chat with about this stuff. Big Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Mar 10, 2013 9:34 PM

Sorry, have never tried it so I can't give you a real answer. I'm sure someone here has though and will reply eventually. But I did want to welcome you, and look forward to seeing some of your pieces.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,565
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 10, 2013 10:17 PM

I have never used that particular product either, but gluing knots is definitely something that is done on certain pieces. I have glued knots on larger pieces or one with heavier beads..........you know, just in case. I hate to have a necklace or bracelet come apart as it usually happens when I am showing it off to someone. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 10, 2013 10:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I agree having a clasp fall off in the middle of gift giving is maddening.  I have been using gorilla glue that I borrowed from my other 1/2.  Then I saw this and thought I'd give it a try.  I have to admit....it stinks (smells) horribly, but seems to be doin' o.k.   Carolanne.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,565
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 11, 2013 1:26 AM

Our other halves always seem to have monster good glue, but it could also kill you with the fumes. The typical glue used for beadwork is E6000. There are others, and I've heard both good and bad about them, guess it is an individual thing. What I have in my bead stash is E6000, I also have an antique tube of 527 which has a good rep, and a tube of Hypotube which I used to use to set rhinestones as it doesn't damage the foil backs. Hypo was originally a watchmakers glue for putting on the crystal on a watch, so that it was water proof and yet could be removed without breaking the crystal. Hypotube remains barely flexible and the glue itself has a long thin snout so good for inserting into a tiny space. E6000 is good for glueing cabs to backing but it needs to be used in a ventilated area and while it sets up pretty fast (especially if one uses a hairdryer on it) it really needs 24 hours to be permanent. Never use Super glue as it is brittle and will crack off whatever you put it on. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS