So frustrated with my inability to weave anything!

This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 16
on Mar 11, 2013 8:14 AM

blueelephantart:

I'm the same way when it comes to threading a needle. It used to take me 15mins to thread the thing on and by the time I've threaded it, I can't be bothered starting the project! I've since changed over to Big Eye needles. I have short and long Big Eyes and its the bomb! Cool

Oh I tried big eyes first and my beads wouldn't go through them - perhaps my beads were too small?

Thanks for the youtube links! I didn't know beadaholique had tutorials - I'll be visiting those ASAP.

Thanks again!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 11, 2013 8:50 PM

My Big Eyes will go through #11 Delicas a few times. Not sure about #15 though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 11, 2013 9:30 PM

Actually big eye needles are pretty slim...........I've never found a bead they didn't go through except some of the made in _______ beads which are notorious for being very irregular. With those you just keep picking up one after another until you get one that works. I make a pile of the ones I can't get through, and if I have to will switch down to a skinny beading needle to use them up. But mostly I just toss them.

Most of the 15's that I own are Toho's now, I have learned to avoid the ones that are cheaper because by the time you cull them to usable quantities, you have lost any price advantage. In general the Japanese beads have a proportionately largish hole, whether they are cylinders or seeds. 

I keep all my needles in an old prescription container, when I need to change size or whatever, I open it up and pick the bunch out and look over what I have and pick from there. The big eye needle is sort of hard to pick out as it is pretty much the same size as a 10 beading needle. Usually what I go in there for is a thinner needle for like the umpteenth pass through a bead....... if I am looking for the big eye, I really have to look for it. Also what I use  a big eye for most is weaving my thread ends back through the work because even when the thread gets short you can just reverse the needle and get one more weave done. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 16
on Mar 12, 2013 10:47 AM

I’m happy to report that there is a free peyote stitch class on Friday at a bead shop near my house – I’ll have to take off work a little early to go but I don’t care! I’m so excited!  

I will have to re-try using my big eye needle with my size 11’s. I was probably using Czech beads with irregular holes..??

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,465
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 12, 2013 1:05 PM

redclover, if you are using Czech seed beads, I buy Ornelas/Preciosa as they are the best and most consistent seed beads. They've been doing it a long time and theirs are great. The Asian countries, excepting Japan, produce the biggest quantities and least consistent beads. They are all getting better, like Chinese crystals.........someone gave them the message and now they are pretty darned nice. But if you are getting bargain prices on beads you will be getting the lower quality ones and to me, by the time I cull out the irregular shapes and holes, I have paid what I would have paid for Czech seed beads. 

Hope you have a great time at your class, and a free peyote class might just indicate that it is a nice friendly beginner class. Whooo Hooo. Have fun. Donna

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS