question on using antiqued brass finished chains

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
zel88 wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 9:37 AM

Hi everyone!

I wanted to use brass finished chains on some of my jewelry projects. I wanted to know if I need to spray paint it with clear lacquer/acrylic to protect the chain from oxidizing when exposed to skin contact.  Also, is this the only option to go? I understand that there are brands that carry nickel free antiqued brass finished chains, however I wanted to learn on how do most do it exactly.  Also, if you guys have any recommended readings or what kind of lacquer I should buy, it would really be a great help.  I have not put out any products because I wanted to learn more about how to deal with antiqued brass or copper finished metals. I have not found any book nor magazine talking about this matter.  Thanks in advance for your help and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Zel

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 12:43 PM

Zel, there is an absolute ton of information to learn about metals. But, no matter what you do with your chains some people have highly reactive skin and with either deteriorate the chain or turn themselves interesting colors where it touches them. Even if you spray or lacquer metals, after the person wears it some number of times, the finish will start to remove itself. Typically we used to use matte finish spray Krylon on the insides of metal cuffs, but it wears off. Now I will finish the inside of a cuff with a layer of ultra suede. I love old brass necklaces, but I make sure that I wear them over a shirt so that it touches me in a minimal way. 

So, to learn about metal in general, look up a book "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight. Also google B'Sue Boutiques for information on finishing metal chains and findings. She has videos on painting also. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 3
zel88 wrote
on Mar 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Hi D.M.Z!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am googling  B'Sue Boutiques right now and checking out the book you recommended.

Have a great day!

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Mar 17, 2013 8:46 AM

Hi Zel,

All chains by Trinity Brass (USA) will already have a protective sealant. They are also premium quality chains and lead/ nickel and cadmium free. The chain comes in 3 different finishes antique silver, antique brass and vintage patina and in different sizes. There are lots of shops which stock Trinity Brass chain.

I hope it will help.

Valentina

Valentina

London, UK, Europe

www.yashmacreations.etsy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,506
D.M.Z wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 1:06 PM

Zel, Any chain manufactured in the U.S. will be "evil" free, and the protective sealant is good if you just want to use the product, if you want to manipulate or color sealed brass, you'd have to remove the sealant to get down to the brass. So many options. If you get B&B, the Feb 2013 issue had a nice article on Garlan Chain company, a good read.

Hope you are having fun already.........post any results. Donna P.S.: take a look at beading delights etsy shop for a whole heck of a lot of treasures. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
zel88 wrote
on Mar 17, 2013 2:50 PM

Hi Valentina and  DMZ!

Thanks to both of you for taking time to answer my question.  I googled the Trinity Brass earlier.  I will check-out your shop at Etsy as per DMZ's suggestion.  Right now, I have not gotten back to my antiqued finished projects yet.  I did take note of the stores recommended and the brands. 

Have a great weekend to both of you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS