First piece on a Versa Loom.

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
redheadpan wrote
on Feb 25, 2013 4:08 AM

I got a Versa Loom from my other half for Christmas and tried it out with a test piece after watching all the tutorials on You Tube etc.

I must admit I'm not that impressed with it.

Yes, it saves time and effort with the whole "weaving in of ends" stuff but I found it very difficult once the piece was finished to get the needle thru the very last row of delicas, impossible in fact.

I had to cut the thread which is wrapped round the bar and very carefully sew thru the loose beads to secure the last row.

Also, despite following the instructions and trying to wriggle out the plastic pegs on the sections very carefully, the darned thing snapped anyway.

So now its sat on the end of the desk gathering dust.

Has anyone else tried this loom? and if so what were your thoughts on it and any tips on making it less of a hassle?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Feb 25, 2013 9:30 AM

I have one. It was my absolute fave loom, I nay sayed every piece of advice against it. Until one day, the legs broke off on diff pieces, then I tried gluing the bits back on, they kept coming out cos of the pressure to pull the things apart. Then i found out, it wasn't replaceable parts unless I bought another loom. At this point i nearly gave up, so i started looking for a proper loom. I now have a Beazu loom and a little Mirrix.

As for the warpless method, I now use the tape n pull or also known as the pull n pray.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 939
on Feb 28, 2013 12:05 AM

redheadpan:

I got a Versa Loom from my other half for Christmas and tried it out with a test piece after watching all the tutorials on You Tube etc.

I must admit I'm not that impressed with it.

Yes, it saves time and effort with the whole "weaving in of ends" stuff but I found it very difficult once the piece was finished to get the needle thru the very last row of delicas, impossible in fact.

I had to cut the thread which is wrapped round the bar and very carefully sew thru the loose beads to secure the last row.

Also, despite following the instructions and trying to wriggle out the plastic pegs on the sections very carefully, the darned thing snapped anyway.

So now its sat on the end of the desk gathering dust.

Has anyone else tried this loom? and if so what were your thoughts on it and any tips on making it less of a hassle?

Oh my, so sorry to read you are having difficulty with that loom. Please, do t let that experience give you a negative thought about weaving on a loom. There are many on the market, but I must suggest to consider a standard style Nd not those dangle "minimum warp managing" types. You can't get very creative with them. I only use such a loom, for creating loomed accents to add on my beading. I bought a Versa, long time ago, and was also unimpressed. Not only with the concept, but construction. I believe one of the best looms on the market, price/quality/customer service/ease of use/creative ability, is amid sized loom from beadlooms dot com. It may seem like a large cost, but it's a beading supply you will only purchase one time. 

Please feel free to contact me with any questions! I hope to show you a more positive attitude towards weaving on a loom!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS