What do you do with unwanted beads?

This post has 43 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Dec 29, 2008 9:29 AM

I think a swap post is a great idea, I've participated in swaps before and I got alot of interesting beads that way.Trading could be beads for beads, no money would be involved.

I wonder what the Beading Daily Staff thinks?

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 8:17 AM

I have been given a large prodject from a friend that knows Iv'e been dabbling in beads for several years. . .  My problem is, she gave me a large box of old jewelry, 50 pieces of one thing or another > > >  very old, screw on earring, sparkley pins, long pearls short chains, you get the picture. . . She want me to make a shadow box with most of these, so her mother can put it on the wall.  This was my thought; I would get a 12x12 frame, a piece of cardboard, lay out the jewelry/earring/pins so it would look like a snowflake ! ! ! Then because they are all different size and hights I would wiggle some navy blue velvet behind the pieces and kinda scrunch it in spots to take up the slack. .  Any suggestions,  I'm open to other ideas > > >  please help!

Gayle  Idea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 10:04 AM

This is such a great idea! I would think that a couple of layers of quilt batting under the velvet would be great. That way there is some padding there. Also, that give you something to pin the items with a little weight so that they won't fall over once it is vertical. I don't know how large the pieces are so I don't know if it would be something that you start in the middle with the largest and work to the points which would be the smallest. 

But something that is very random would also be pretty! You may have to do a layout, snap a picture, change some things around, take a picture, etc so that if you don't like something you can have a reference of what you did like. 

Those are my thoughts, but I have never done this. But you have given me a wonderful idea to watch out for pieces to do something like this with. 

Post pictures when you are done if you don't mind!

What a great way to take wonderful pieces of loved ones that they no longer use and turn into something everyone can enjoy. Plus it gives the person something to show everyone and share the stories. Most ( ladies at least ) will remember the story behind the piece of jewelry...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 5:39 PM

About the jewelry collage on velvet....

I've seen these made with bits and pieces of rhinestone jewelry arranged on the velvet as a Christmas tree and set in a picture frame.  I've even seen them with holes poked in the canvas so that Christmas lights could be stuck out of the holes - the lights reflect light in the rhinestones, but I've also seen them without the lights. 

If your bag of jewelry pieces has lots of rhinestones (or other stones), this would be a classic thing to put together.  Glue or staple the velvet on a piece of wood that fits the frame and attach the frame, then just glue each piece onto the velvet in the shape that your client would like.  These can really turn out nice, even when all of the jewelry is white rhinestones - but I think a mixture of colors would be pretty cool!

That's my two cents!

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,099
Sherri S. wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 5:42 PM

Michelle, where ARE you???

We would like to know what you think about having a trading place on this website to trade unwanted beads.  I vote with the other posters here that it would be a great idea!

Michelle, will you please let us know what you think?  Smile

Sherri S.

Check out my Etsy Store......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6321824

Check out my Etsy Beads Store.......

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7141344

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Gayle@48 wrote
on Dec 30, 2008 5:59 PM

Sheila, the quilt batting sounds like the perfect start to stabilize the earrings and pins without damaging anything, some of the necklaces I will de-string and use as fillers. . I did plan on starting with a large very colorful pin in the center and work my way out to the ends > >  how many ends, I can't picture yet . . . but I will lay it out first!

Thank you!

Gayle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 5:20 AM

Sue, are you sure you want to create that monster? *grinz* If you are completely sure, then anything will be fine. No smaller than 10's because of my hands, but colors are completely up to you. I do tend to go for the bright, loud colors, but I'm cool with anything in the spectrum. I'll leave that up to you. I'm going to go try and send you an e-mail now, but my email client has been acting weird lately, so it may be later today as I have an appointment here in a little bit. Thank you for thinking of me. That's a very nice feeling inside that I'm not used to. You are too sweet for your own good. Thanks again.

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Danni@5 wrote
on Dec 31, 2008 6:36 AM

I usaully save them, because my cousins love making bracelets, but they are little so I save the beads I dont want for them.Wink

Danni Star

Not Ranked
Posts 1
futuremrsd wrote
on Sep 1, 2013 6:14 PM

I am so glad that someone asked this, there are probably people in your community that can benefit from them. Such as those people out of work looking for a way to make money, these people sometimes post on craigslist for free craft supplies because they cannot afford to buy them. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 244
beadinstyle wrote
on Sep 2, 2013 5:28 PM

My first thought was ... only 1 tin of unwanted beads, lol.

But I have always been fascinated by the way even humble "plain" or oddly coloured beads find their place in time ... it is almost cosmic. I find it difficult to discard beads of any ilk!

But having said that, for space reasons in my little shop, I need to cull beads every now and then. What works best for "leftovers" is my Treasure Box. It's full of beads of all kinds, and they are for sale for $1 a small ziplock bag. It is VERY popular with all my shoppers.

Now, I know many of you won't have my endless supply of these beads, but if you have a stall of your own, or have a fundraising stall commitment anywhere in your life, the Treasure Box of Beads is a real winner! Maybe you could sell some elastic too ...

Not Ranked
Posts 12
rashi123 wrote
on Sep 4, 2013 8:23 AM

You can make unique bracelets and necklace.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 25, 2013 9:49 AM

Well I read your blog and if you don't want those beads I could really use them for my arts & crafts class that I teach. The children could use any type of crafts. My email address is dmartinez8672@msn.com if you would like my information. Thank you for the consideration.

Deborah A. Martinez

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
Linda@952 wrote
on Oct 26, 2013 11:52 AM

I inherited 100 + pounds of beads when my mom passed away.  I am using her seed beads but am not into all the acrylic snowflakes, etc, but was not about to waste them, either.  After much thought, I approached our local boys and girls club, with 5 shopping bags filled to overflow.  To say the least, they were thrilled.  They proceeded to give my husband and I a short tour through the club, and we had the satisfaction of seeing the kids both discover their new beads, and eagerly dig into the bags.  Apparently, they can always use things like beads, which in turn can help "spawn" a new generation of beaders, and crafters.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
vickyhall wrote
on Nov 20, 2013 4:47 AM

I put some extra bead in weaving small animal decorations, such as the deer.

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) < Previous  1 2 3 | RSS