3 Questions need answers if anyone could be so kind....

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
KC19 wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 6:03 PM

1. Do certain crimping beads work better by popular vote? The tube, the round, certain metals.........I find that maybe because I'm a newbie Im having issues with breaking the crimp bead or just not getting it tight enough where the pulls apart. maybe tool? or bead type? Technique i believe is ok compared to videos I wanted

2. Clasps......A lot seem to discolor. Any advice before I go to stainless or vermeil, or filled. Also is nickel and lead free...is it important in this industry?

Id appreciate any advice.....

3. Is there a top of line line nylon etc for string necklaces and bracelets

KC19

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KC19 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 3:01 PM

Potomacbeadco,

Thank you for that info and the video. Its very helpful

My major issue is that when I'm done making a bracelet or necklace, my finished piece breaks when I pull on the toggles to test the crimping.

I use 2x2 tubes and was having the line slide out. That I fixed by squeezing harder and making sure the line was set correctly.

The line breaks 30% of the time about .5 inch up from the crimp. I  using a 7 strand .038mm Beadalon, should I go bigger?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
KC19 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 3:17 PM

Correction .38mm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 3:29 PM

KC19:
I  using a 7 strand .038mm Beadalon, should I go bigger?

KC19,

I am not Potmacbeadco, but here is my answer to your questions

The general rule of beading is to use the heaviest or largest wire that will fit though the beads. I will generally use a 49strand .018" wire. The more stands, the less likely to kink, and the larger the wire, the stronger. A 49 strand .018 wire will will withstand beads that are pretty heavy. I also will only use either sterling silver, gold filled, or copper crimps with thick walls. The reason for these crimps is that they are soft and make a good connection, and rarely fail if crimped correctly. Some cheaper crimps have a tendency to be bridle, which causes crimp failure. 

I hope I was able to help you  with you questions.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS