three strand necklace

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Feb 19, 2013 8:10 PM

is there a minimum length I should use in making a 3 strand necklace?   Like if the 1st strand is 18 inches, is there a miimum for the next two so they dont sit on one another?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 9:15 PM

Windy, a lot has to do with the sizes of the beads. I still use a "three groove" bead board to set up those types of things, but I don't do many of them anymore. With smaller beads the difference is less. I'll look to see if I have something like that bookmarked, but hopefully someone will answer soon. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 529
shanks wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 10:01 AM

If using 8mm beads, and the long strand is 18 inches, take about 1 1/4 inch off the next strand and about 1 inch off the third strand, or 2 1/4 inches shorter for the third strand. The larger the beads the shorter each strand must be.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Feb 20, 2013 10:05 AM

I'm using 4mm beads with 15/0 seed beads as spacers.   Should I cut those numbers in half then?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 529
shanks wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 4:04 PM

That would be a good starting point. The numbers are only estimates, use a bead stopper on one end for all three strands and adjust the two shorter strands to the lengths you want.  All you need to do is string a couple of inches of the center beads on each string and adjust the length for how much space you want between strings.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 172
on Feb 20, 2013 4:13 PM

Now that yu say that, it just seems so obvious! Embarrassed

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 243
beadinstyle wrote
on Feb 21, 2013 6:12 PM

I'm laughing here. Yes, it sounds obvious. I have spent many hours adjusting beads in multiple strand necklaces, firstly on a bead board, often feeling foolish and getting frustrated. Then I use a model, with firmly attached beadstoppers. Then you find that the person you are making it for isn't the same shape or size as a model ... start again ... 

And longer multiple strands work to different rules to chokers ... AAAHH!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
anniq wrote
on Feb 28, 2013 11:12 AM

Hello, I am quite new to beading and I wanted to make a multi strand necklace as well. I was curious as to what the bead stopper is you are talking about. I have never really been able to find a good way of securing all my strands together then putting a cone of some sort on top of it without it being bulky and making sure all the strands are attached together properly. Any help/photos would be amazing!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 529
shanks wrote
on Feb 28, 2013 3:25 PM

A bead stopper is a coiled spring with larger loops on each end so you can bend the spring and insert your thread in the slots. When you remove the tension, the spring grips the threads.   Do a web search for BEAD STOPPERS and there will be pictures as well as where to buy them.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 28, 2013 6:18 PM

The bead stoppers being discussed here are a temporary holder, like while you are adjusting the lengths of the strands. They really don't have anything to do with completing the three strands and putting them into a bead cap. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS