How do I chose a chain that will not change colour?

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
jewelcanada wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 10:52 PM

I'm making a necklace with beads and chain but I have no idea which kind of chains does not change colour (tarnish). I want a good quality chain but with a reasonable price. I really appreciated any help.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 14, 2013 12:00 AM

Choose one that is not dyed or plated.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jewelcanada wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 10:01 PM

Thanks for your answer but there are so many varieties that I don't know which one to choose. Which one (s) of the following are the best chain(s): brass, iron, titanium, zinc, aluminum?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,502
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 16, 2013 12:09 AM

Brass, Iron, Zinc, all might make a person break out, they are really not normally worn unless coated with some sort of finish. Zinc? I don't know that I've ever seen zinc chain. Iron will be heavy, brass is common but can also turn skin a color.

Titanium and aluminum have both been used for jewelry. Aluminum by itself can be soft, some grades of aluminum can be very hard though.

Titanium and brass would sound like the best choices to me in a pre-made chain. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 3
jewelcanada wrote
on Feb 17, 2013 2:35 PM

Hi Donna,

Thanks a bunch. This information was very helpful.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 19, 2013 2:30 AM

Hi, jewelcanada, I do not get the right point whether want a metal chain that would be oxidized in the long wearing process or you want to know about chains plated or dyed among the non-metal material group, well, thus it might be a pity that your problem might not be solved satisfyingly. 

in fact for the metal group, brass, alloy, iron, sterling silver, stainless steel would be among the most popular group, but some of their luster would be not that bright for oxidation, well, if you have a safe custody of it by using appropriate maintenance method, the color would not change, and a sterling silver can match well with many items; as for the non-metal materials, nylon, cord, leather made chain would be not that bad choose, once the one you chose is of good quality, it would not change itself on color as well, in this group a leather chain might be a good choice.

Anyway, it all depends on the styles of the jewelry you are making. Hope this can help a lot. :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS