How do I remove a glued on end cap from Kumihimo braid?

This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 185
trayck wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 12:43 AM

A few months ago I made a kumihimo braid and glued on the end caps nice and secure as per normal.  I have now found a different pendant that would look great on this braid instead of the one I originally put on, but the bail (? ) (the bit that the braid slides through) of either pendant is not wide enough for me to slip it over the end caps.

Would anyone know of a way of dissolving / unsticking the glue so that the end cap can be removed rather than the alternative options of cutting it off or making another one?

I wasn't sure whether to try to use nail polish remover as I don't know if it would actually do the trick or if it would  discolour the cord and I also don't have any in the house and would have to buy it just for this.

The cord used was 1.5mm mouse tail and the glue I used was Zap Jewelery Gel which to me has very similar properties to super glue.  (I nearly stuck my fingers to the desk I was working at but thats another story Embarrassed )

Thanks,

T

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,269
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 7:01 AM

T

That could be tricky. I normally would tell you to use rubbing alcohol, with the rat tail cord, it may just remove the color of that. Do you have a small piece of left over cord? If so do a test on it to see if the color is fast or if you will lose the color. Other than that there is a commercial product call " glue solvent"  you could also try that if you can find it.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 559
shanks wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 10:39 AM

T

There is a super glue remover on the market. I don't know what it is called and never tried it, but it may work.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 2:29 PM

T, too bad you didn't use Super Glue, that stuff is brittle and you may have been able to just break the bond on the cap and removed it. I've never used the product you did use, so no advice there. 

Is there an "800" number on the glue container? If so they will probably know what will dissolve it. As far as the mouse tail goes, maybe you will have to sacrifice the end that is inside the cap to accomplish the new pendant attachment. 

Try simplest methods, then move on to some that could be destructive. First try bending and wiggling and see if you can break the bond between the glue and the cap, pull on it. Then I'd go to hot water next and see if it will soften, being careful to only heat/soak the very cap part and not the mouse tail material. I would also test a small snippet of mouse tail for color fastness before going on to chemicals. 

Can you add something like an additional bit of beading to the "too small" bail to make it fit over the end cap? Like two short links of square stitch or something of that sort? You'd need two so it would sit straight on the cord, but it might be worth it to try that.

Hope you can work this out...........is the new pendant really THAT good? We will want to see it when  you are done, and I'm sure your knowledge will help us all out someday down the line when we are faced with the same type of dilemma. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 3:10 PM

Sounds crazy but sometimes it works. Try a test piece like the others have said. Let some glue dry on it, then try anything oil. We keep a bottle of mineral oil in the basement for goo removal from tons of things. Was actually a recommendation from the Board of Health in my state!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 6:34 PM

TC, great tip and yes mineral oil is very oily without the odors of some of the other oils..........oh, I am just sitting here sleep deprived and punchy and imagining wearing that lovely kumi necklace and having someone come up to you and say "whenever I'm near you I immediately think of wanting to eat salad"........snort. 

I am sleep deprived because my darling girlie dog woke me up at 1AM with a full complement of hives all over the front half of her..................... she is one of those you cannot give Benadryl to as she reacts reverse to it, so we do have prednisolone on hand for itching events. But I did sit up with her until they went down after wetting her down with cold water on a washcloth...........yawn. So it was either a bug bite or something she ate.......today she is eating rice and boiled chicken to get her back on track. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 11:11 PM

Aw poor puppy!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 185
trayck wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 5:48 AM

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your wonderful replies and ideas on how to fix my problem.

Tonight I have discovered that my glueing technique is not as good as I thought it was. I got a toothpick and used it to try and pry between the braid and the end cap for a bit. Then I held tight to the braid with one hand and the cap with the other and twisted. Lo and behold it came apart fairly easily.

I have put on the new pendant and took a photo with my phone to show you all . Please excuse the photo quality, believe me it looks more impressive in real life. The pendant is big but the angle I have taken the photo kind of distorts it and makes it look even bigger than it is. (hmm can't glue and can't take photos well either... c'est la vie. Huh? )

Thank you all again for putting forward ideas to help me with my problem.

T.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 6:28 AM

Glad you were able to get that done. I dont know what was on there before, but pedant looks like it was made to match

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 185
trayck wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 6:58 AM

tcwhit:

Glad you were able to get that done. I dont know what was on there before, but pedant looks like it was made to match

Yep, you should have heard me in the shop when I saw it. I let out this excited squeaky high pitched squeal and giggle, which made a couple of ladies who were near by look around.

The pendant which was on it was a brass coloured peacock  but it was really too small for the thickness of the braid and I wasn't completely happy with it.  (yes I know bad mix brass pendant with silver fastenings hmm) so I am planning on making another braid for it.

I am going to try and make one using some of that feathery yarn you see those fluffy soft knitted scarves out of . At the moment  I am playing around to try and work out what braid pattern to use and the tightness of it so that the feathery bits will still stick out and not get pulled tightly into the braid.

If that doesn't pan out,  I've been scratching around through my bead boxes and have been playing around with a mix of coloured beads and working on stringing something up to hang it from.

Goodness knows when I'll get that done as I've also got about a dozen other beading projects on my wanna do list, not to mention the other kumihimo braids I have to do for other pendants I've acquired and the chinese knot turtles and dragonflies I've found patterns for which are fun little side projects to do.

T

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 7:03 AM

I don't think you'll need to worry about the wisps. Just braid like you normally would. I think as it 'relaxes' the ends will start coming out anyway, no?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS