Writing a Tutorial: Southpaws, I Need Your Help.

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 4:40 AM

I'm currently writing a tutorial for a bead weaving stitch.  As I am right-handed, I'm not sure how to write a left-handed version (and would like to).  The instructions are mainly illustrations starting with the tail thread at the left and continuing to the right; then back the other way on the next row.  I need to know if I should start with the tail thread at the right then continue to the left.  The bead work has a back and front (no flipping, just side to side).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Ottercat Coffee

02-08-13 (0238 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 504
on Feb 9, 2013 1:17 AM

Hi Ottercat,

All I can say is that whenever I am following a pattern I tend to work from right to left. So when I make my ladder stitch base for herringbone my tail will usually be on the bottom right. I'm not entirely sure if a tutorial specifically for left handers is absolutely necessary but I'm willing to be a guinea pig if you would like a southpaw to test it. :)

Shellie :)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 10, 2013 7:40 PM

Thanks for your response, Shellie.  I'll finish the tutorial first, then see if there's a call for a 'southpaw' version.  You may be right (not absolutely necessary).  If I have to use my left hand, I just concentrate on what I'm trying to do and forget which hand I'm using; that's how I learned to write left-handed -- not well, but legible.  Thanks, again.

Ottercat Coffee

02-10-13 (1738 PST)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 553
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 12:58 PM

Glenda Payseno and Jann Muhlhauser have teamed up to write several patterns for lefties.  You might e-mail one of them and ask if they have any tips for you.

Cat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 15, 2013 4:01 AM

Thanks for the info, Cat.  Will check it out soon; let you know if it helps.  Careful with the links; may want to 'de-activate' it (got the address).  Again, thanks.

Ottercat Coffee

02-15-13 (0159 PST)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 5:34 PM

Never mind ("Careful with the links;"); apparently not a problem.

Ottercat Coffee

02-18-13 (1534 PST)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS