I think I'm becoming a Delica freak!!

This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 12:28 PM

so I bought some Delicas....WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME???  LOL....I'm addicted!!!  I can't look at a seed bead any more without scoffing. 

Can I truly be becoming a Delica freak?  is this a known issue?

Noel

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 3:37 PM

YES.............either succumb or toss them out right now! Seriously, they are made to fit together and make beautiful "cloth" and with the consistent sizing you can always judge what your approximate sizes will be. 

I use them almost exclusively because I do loomed pieces and the number of delicas gives me the widest variety of shading and colors possible. Toho makes cylinders also, but less colors are available and where I live they are not nearly as consistently available. Toho also makes a very expensive cylinder which comes in more colors, but because of the expensive nature, it makes my projects a lot more expensive to make. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 3:43 PM

well whew....so glad it's not some dread disease that no one has ever heard of before!  ;)

thanks!

Noel

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,261
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 4:12 PM

Surprise  OHHHHH, it is a dreaded disease, but we all have it.   However after period of time you and your hubby get used to it. One of the symptoms is the inability to past a bead store, after all they may just have a color you don't already own 4 or 5 tubes of. I have found, when I sorted my beads that I am like a magpie, if I like the color I will buy it over and over. Just can't help myself, it is a disease. Ick! 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 4:26 PM

LOL...a magpie...oh my goodness, I'm getting there already!!!  my daughter and I started this journey because she became disabled a year ago this week actually Sad and we were trying to find something for her to do with her time.  we started with stringing and it just kind of moved along from there.  we participated in a local big community event in October and I sell a lot of stuff at work.  beads are just sooooo addicting!!!

Noel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 927
on Feb 11, 2013 1:47 PM

Uh Oh..you too? Cool I love the Delicas, more so for the diverse number of colors and finishes they offer. Over 971 so far, but there are 32 new ones, waiting to be sold this year! No other 11/0 seed bead line has such a wide pallet.

A few things you may want to consider, with Delicas. No negatives, just a means to enlighten. The matt finish Delicas are small than, say the opaques. The metallics are largest of all. When looming, you may notice a bit of a difference, but not enough to feel they are causing any problems. Just something I noted, while I weave them side by side on a loom.

Stay fearful of the 'Satin' line. Gorgeous, yes, but very fragile. They break easily, have sharp edges and can cut your thread. Once you see them, you will fall in love, but keep your distance, lol. These are mostly in the #600 and some in #800 numbers of the Delica Line. They will state "Satin" in the color description.

Other than those two points, paint the world and plan on sharing with us here!! Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 2:18 PM

I've used the satin in my loom projects because the thread path goes directly through the bead and cutting is minimized and I use 6# Fireline for my warp threads. So far I've had no problems with any of my pictures done with them. I've toyed with the idea of doing a whole loomed project (flowers) with the majority of the beads being the satins. Looming a picture that will be framed is what keeps them ok though, no movement happens once the project is mounted in the frame. However, for regular bead stitching, they are to be dealt with cautiously as Erin mentioned. 

And yes, delicas are not precisely consistent in size. Metallic finish is a surface finish, so the beads end up a bit larger, matte's are smaller because they are tumbled or processed to take the finish off the bead. The dimension across the hole is almost always .0667, but the height up the side can run from .0550 to .0500.........which doesn't seem like much, but in a large loomed piece with a lot of one type of bead in one spot, it can be almost visible. My techno-weirdo nature discovered that early on. I bought an amulet kit done in square stitch. It had a block of white matte beads pretty much in the center of the bag.............I was new to beadstitching and reworked that section several times because I was thinking I was changing my tension. You could only notice it when you went back to the other beads around it because they didn't "fit" like the others. I ended up with my micrometer out and discovered the difference and went on to finish the bag. The vast majority of the beads fall well into the same size though and present no problems at all. 

Ooooooh, more new colors, I can't wait.............(note to self: need MORE delicas). Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 4:11 PM

LOL...oh my gosh, I had no idea that there were that many colors!  :)

Noel

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 4:12 PM

you and me both Donna, you and me both!  ;)

Noel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 927
on Feb 11, 2013 7:49 PM

noelohwell:

LOL...oh my gosh, I had no idea that there were that many colors!  :)

Noel

Also, Noel, if you see yourself getting very involved with a personal supply, consider creating a means to track what you own and those you haven't purchased. You can do this either in an Excel Spread Sheet or there are places on line, usually offering a 'bead chart' list of Delicas. Meaning, the bead charts are offered for you to 'sew' a strand of the Delica, next to the DB #. Then you are making your own Delica Bead color charts. They can be expensive, or I know a woman that will make a selection of every color, selling at a cost of $42.00! (unbelievably inexpensive for what she gives you). Other then the chart, though, you can also use this to keep track of what colors you own. Then, if you are out shopping and see something you like, you can refer to your list. The link to this chart is HERE  Also visit this site's Free Fringe Designer . It may come in handy sometime. One more point...sorry, if you also have a bead pattern program, you can create your own pallet with the Delicas you own. But still keep a physical listing in case something goes wrong with your program. I own over 750 Delica colors, right now, and have a number of ways to back up this list! Stick out tongue

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 564
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 12:46 PM

Erin, that fringe designer is sooooo cool!

Cat

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 188
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 2:07 PM

now that is really cool!!!  love the fringe maker and the way of keeping track of your colors!  awesome!!

Noel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 927
on Feb 12, 2013 7:51 PM

Beadiecat:

Erin, that fringe designer is sooooo cool!

Cat

I thought it would be appreciated around here! I'm glad I shared. Got more where that came from ...hahahaha

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 13, 2013 12:16 AM

Oh Erin.... Boo!Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 927
on Feb 13, 2013 10:04 PM

blueelephantart:

Oh Erin.... Boo!Wink

Hahahahahahahaiiiiii 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS