Wire beading

This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
JLovelee wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 11:52 PM

So, I'm really into beading with wire mostly and often, I make spirals such as a focal point for necklace or bracelet, or making them in earrings. Because I am still new at beading with wire, a lot of the time I just use silver plated artistic wire which is non tarnish, but I'm finding that when I ratchet my wire spirals with my round nose or chain nose pliers, the silver color on the wire begins to chip off and leaves a copper color which makes the earring look cheap and rusty. I find that this happens with all silver plated wires when working with my tools. I suppose I could by sterling silver wire but I am not confident enough to use it without having to waste it and its expensive and I'm not even sure if it will also get damaged when using my tools and working to manipulate the wire. Does anyone have any suggestions? Cushioned chain nose pliers even crossed my imagination but I don't think such a thing exists.

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,558
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 1:11 AM

There is a product called Tool Magic that you dip the tips of your pliers into, you let it dry and maybe add a second coating and dry again. It will supposedly keep your tools from marring those coated wires. I will say that I have not used this product, so I can't say that it works as advertised. But it is something to check out. Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 7:41 AM

Donna's suggestion of using Tool Magic is a very good one, I have used it myself. However if you can't find Tool Magic, or find that you are in need, at an hour where you can't go out and buy it, wrap your tool tips with painters tape. The painter tape will protect your wire from being scratched and dinged up , and because it is low tack it will come off your tools cleanly, when you don't need or want it there.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 8:54 AM

Good suggestion on the painters tape! From experience I know- which is what I use mostly now- even with precious metals wire, (I hate little knicks unless they were meant to be there for distress)-

As I say from experience... I tried electrical tape when I first started years ago- It will come off but leaves the gluey type residue that you have to "finger rub" off like rubber cement with more "stick"... LOL Or use orange oil/ goo gone to get it clean... 

Painters tape is great and still allows you to get a good grip with your pliers without slipping.

~Luv

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 11:46 AM

yes, and it is easy to remove, and if you need to add more, it isn't expensive, because you use so little of it. I also use it directly on my wire if I need to bundle the wires. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,558
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 12:54 PM

Now you guys got me thinking, I use Nexcare Gentle Paper Tape to "corral" threads on my loom. I found it by way of an elderly person who has very tender skin and this stuff sticks, but peels right off easily. So if you happen to have some of that around, it would probably work well for tools too.

I did buy Nexcare's other tape, similar to 3M micropore but these don't come off as well, and in fact you could use the 3M micropore tape for dermal abrasion or hair removal!!!! I got a roll of it after my eye surgery and boy howdy, took half an eyebrow off when I accidently put the tape on over the eyebrow. It was a very enlightening moment and hurt like the devil.......imagine plucking your eyebrows all at one time............wowser. OK, now stop laughing at me, but it is funny now to me too. Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 1:00 PM

D.M.Z:
in fact you could use the 3M micropore tape for dermal abrasion or hair removal!!!!

Got a visual and a chuckle from that one. You are too funny Donna.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS