MAJOR nymo muck-up

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 5:06 PM

So I have just recently learnt what NOT to do when it comes to those huge rolls of nymo that you can get from FMG.. and that is, do not put the spool in your handbag and then forget that its there for a few weeks, because then - this is the end result:

ONE GIGANTIC MESS!!!

As you you can see, it is no longer on a spool. This is because I found that the easiest way for me to untangle this thread when I need it, was to thread a spare bra strap through the spool (fyi - not my original choice but more of a last resort when I couldn't find rope) and then pull the thread off the spool so now I can see where I need to pull when getting the thread I need.

I know alot of you are thinking 'Why bother? Throw it away!' Well.. it was alot of money and I have barely used any of it before this happened. It is saveable.. but it just takes a bit of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to amend this? I was thinking of getting an empty small bobbin and re-wrapping sections onto it..

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,566
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 6:18 PM

Oooooh Emma........the only thing I've seen worse than this was the editor of Bead Unique who had a new spool that got caught in her vacuum............. it not only got unwound but sort of melted onto the roller from friction. Now THAT spool was a loss. If you are going to try to spool it off, I'd go for a larger spool, like the ones that Fireline come on, that way you won't be putting much curl into it.But re-spooling it is a good thought.

I keep my spool in a plastic baggie, which even if dropped tends not to unroll the spool inside it. Another tip I saw in one of the biggie bead mags was to use the original plastic cover that the spool comes in, cut the bottom, slide the spool out, find the end and run it through a hole in the top of the plastic, then reinsert the spool into the plastic cover. Since it came out of it, it is "form fitting" and I sure wish I had seen that tip when I bought mine, as I would have done that in a flash. That smart lady now just pulls what she wants out of the top of the spool. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 8:22 PM

They are both really good tips Donna!

I'm hoping that as I slowly use the untangled bit, all I will have is the not tangled section still in its perfect spool shape. I do have the large spool of nymo in black so thats definately going in a ziplock baggie when I get home!!!

Emma
xXx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 644
shanks wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 8:34 PM

Looking at the picture, I would cut the big tangle off the right end, and wind up on some type of spool.  If you live near a sporting goods store that fills reels for fishermen, they would probably have some empty spools they would give you.

Cutting the tangle off the end would give you lots of short peices, but many of the would be long enough to save, this should give you access to the main roll end and it would salvage most of the roll..

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 159
on Feb 24, 2013 1:02 AM

Wind it onto a big tatting shuttle or one of those collapseable plastic bobbins that's used in Kumihimo braiding.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
da4htc wrote
on Feb 24, 2013 4:45 PM

I like to keep my spooled threads in large medicine bottles. If you wanted you could but a small hole in the top and use it to pull the thread through as needed. I think that finding an end and starting to re-spool will be your best bet. Good luck - and much patience.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 27, 2013 11:35 PM

I Like to rewind, my fire line onto old business cards in 10 yds to the card. for beading kits. I put them into inexpensive plastic bags.

once, someone suggested the big plastic spools for Kumi. yep! it worked great! until a student pulled it too tight and I ended up with 125yards of fire line that looked more tangled than this.

this looks almost as much fun as, the time my DH dropped my seed beads box and mixed 50 color

together.

Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS