Macrame Cross in S Pattern

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Vicky325 wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 7:35 PM

While being on the subway one day I observed a young man wearing an interesting looking cross that hanged from a piece of leather cord. It had interesting carvings. I had the idea of recreating it in macrame, jotted the idea and some sketches on a piece of paper. That was last year. Today I have it finished, it is just a prototype, and might still need some fine tuning but the concept is down. And this is what it looks like, not very masculine...lol.. well I will wear it with a pair of black jeans will look good.

www.knotsandsparklez.weebly.com

www.facebook.com/handcraftedfashionaccessories

www.etsy.com/shop/knotsandsparklez

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 2:59 AM

It's beautiful, Vicki!  I've never seen anything like it.  How difficult this must have been, but very rewarding.  It's really very beautiful.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 315
Niwas wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 3:38 AM

wow this is the third time I see a macrame cross.
A beading friend showed me a wery similar cross about a month ago I think. She had one in white and one in black.
They are so beautiful!!

Hope you all are having a great day.
If you want to see more made by me please visit my Faebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/NiwasSmycken?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Vicky325 wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 8:11 AM

Valbeads:

It's beautiful, Vicki!  I've never seen anything like it.  How difficult this must have been, but very rewarding.  It's really very beautiful.

Thank you again Val. It wasn't that difficult, the major issue was how to wrap the cords around the central bead, but I used a method I saw in a macrame book by Annika deGroot. The other was that the cords kept moving, ( I think the bead is too large, but didn't have anything else handy) and black cords tend not to have much memory, meaning the knot unravels.

Other than that it was fine, the cross I saw on the train had that spiral carving, I could not post the pic I found on the net, but the pattern on it gave me the idea. Originally I thought it might turn into a possible piece of male jewelry, but it came out rather feminine instead. I will have to come up with something else for males.

I also checked your online store but I didn't find any items yet. Once you are all set up I will like to backlink our sites if it's ok with you. I m eager to see your pieces.

@ NIWAS  thank you as well, I would love to see the other macrame crosses your friend made. Did they look more masculine then mine?

Vicky

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
Valbeads wrote
on Feb 4, 2013 4:40 PM

You're welcome! 

I'm having difficulty accesing my administrator functions.  I'm working on it, though.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 8:15 AM

Vicky this is very nice! I wish I could see the detail more... I think it looks unisex though- maybe if you did the silver accents with just actual small round silver beads or a sz 11 seed bead silver lined it would be more so masculine? Hmm? I think it looks appropriate for both sexes. One of my issues too. Trying to create for my son and husband using similar techniques to what my daughter and I wear and having to make the materials, design, colors look more "manly" LOL

The bracelet I made for my son I used nuts instead of beads. My other son I incorporated twisted wire... Accessories for men are a challenge when trying to be unique, in style and masculine all at the same time- LOL

~Luv

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Vicky325 wrote
on Feb 12, 2013 8:42 AM

Luv2CUSmile:
One of my issues too. Trying to create for my son and husband using similar techniques to what my daughter and I wear and having to make the materials, design, colors look more "manly" LOL

Thank you. That is exactly my dilemma, macrame is kinda lacy, so making jewelry for men is a little challenging, so far I have done only women jewelry. I have been thinking of different ways to make it more masculine, maybe I'll try some of your suggestions.

In the meantime I have seen other people versions of this cross, so I may just change the whole design. Funny how I never saw one before and now that is finished, I have found others had the same idea. Grrrr....Sad

Will post the next one if I ever get it finished....

vicky

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 21, 2013 9:22 AM

Just saw your new cross on your blog- It is great! 

Also, just a word... I just found some great metal beads at one of the local craft chain stores here... they had a huge rack on clearance and I found so many with a guy like theme! Guitars, barbed wire, old civil war era revolver... had to pick up quite a few at such a great deal! Also got a few great ideas to do my own embellishments and clasps in wire too! I was able to get copper finish, silver finish and gold/antique gold finish on many of the styles (and I picked up some feminine ones as well)- Who knew? (that I needed more buttons that is, LOL) Just wanted to share with you. Can't wait to see more of what you come up with.

~Luv

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Vicky325 wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 9:52 AM

Luv2CUSmile:
I just found some great metal beads at one of the local craft chain stores here...

Hello Luv,

first of all thank you sooo much for all the comments you posted, on my blog and more. I feel very flattered.There are so many talented people who create such beautiful pieces of work, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on mines.

Do you post your pieces anywhere? I could not find any link to see them.

In regard to the your mention of craft stores, there aren't that many in nyc, unless you want to drive. I usually go to bead stores but they do not have great bargains. I like metal and wire but I find it costly compared to the quality, I bought some wire at the bead stores just to practice with, but even though labeled tarnish resistant, it is not! Even the findings tend to lose their luster so I steer clear of those. The only components I found that retain their look are pewter items, and some are pretty expensive. Maybe I don't know enough about metals and wires to make an intelligent purchase, hope to learn. I was thinking of silver but it will get dark pretty quickly here since I live near the ocean. I definitely will try some wire working maybe in connection with macrame, one day....but there is so little time and so much to learn!!!...

I will post more pieces on my blog as I get them finished...thank you again for your kind words.

Vicky

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 22, 2013 3:31 PM

You are so welcome and very deserving of compliments. Your composition and color along with beautiful pictures have caught my eye as well as others, I am sure.

I haven't posted anything because I have to figure out how... LOL

I have some regular pictures of many past years items before the digital cameras became the "norm". Now I have a great digital camera, still learning lots about it and mostly how to get the pictures from "it" to the computer... then from the computer to a site...

Biggest issue I run into (I have posted pics on a sale site in my local area... not of my beaded items) - my "file/pic" size seems to always be either too big or too small... It is a headache to figure out not only how to set my camera to take a great picture but then have to figure out how to "change" it once I load it to my computer so it can be seen... I guess this is one area where I tend to give up too easily. LOL Anything else that presents a challenge I am on quick to conquer. Pictures, file sizes, formats, etc... It is frustrating and I guess since I have not attempted to sell items by internet I haven't been motivated to figure it out... I would love some tips & hints!! Wink

I have a Canon SX10IS - Oh! & We just got a new computer with Windows 7 (this is an upgrade for me as we keep a computer forever until buying new- We got this as the new Windows 8 were coming out so got a steal of a deal to upgrade) Mentioning that because I also have to get an update from Canon as my camera's OS is Windows Vista or XP. 

Anyhoo... I would love to post a few pics & do intend to... just wish it were set out in black and white as to what I need to do. LOL

Again, love your pieces and your blog. Excited to see what all you come up with. BTW, I am doing a "macrame" piece right now. I have known macrame for years but of course, it was an "old" craft so never really did much with it after the mid-90's (and that was when it was Waaaay out, lol). I am using some of the different fibers to try out some things on my kids first.. LOL My test group for materials I use or techniques to try before I decide if they are good ideas.

I have pictures... Best place to find info on how to "adjust" pic size and format? We still have one computer up with Vista so I can add them to that computer to post if they don't take an hour to upload OR end up posting as small as a miniature thumbnail.

~Luv

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Vicky325 wrote
on Feb 23, 2013 4:07 PM

Luv2CUSmile:
I have some regular pictures of many past years items before the digital cameras became the "norm". Now I have a great digital camera, still learning lots about it and mostly how to get the pictures from "it" to the computer... then from the computer to a site...

Hello again Luv,

thank you again for your lovely comments.

Now down to business...lol.... to get pictures to pc what I do is remove memory card from the camera and plug it into the side of the computer (it has a slot for SD, XD cards) or you might be able to connect it via cable. Sometimes I take pics with my android phone then connect it to the pc and download the pics, if I only want 1 or 2 I email them from my phone email to my pc email, and voila they are on my pc....lol...

Luv2CUSmile:
Biggest issue I run into (I have posted pics on a sale site in my local area... not of my beaded items) - my "file/pic" size seems to always be either too big or too small... It is a headache to figure out not only how to set my camera to take a great picture but then have to figure out how to "change" it once I load it to my compute

As far as the size, once I download the pics they are usually too large, so I open Microsoft Office Picture Manager and I"m able to resize them from there. I don't know what programs you have, I have an HP computer and it has a photo manager program, they are very easy and basic but it will help with resizing. There is also the option to use online free picture editing programs, where you upload a pic from you pc, edit it then save it. Google it and you will get different options.

This way you will be able to post pictures of your new macrame piece!

In regards to different cords/ threads there is a site www.jewelsinfiber.com where I purchase my cords, it has a most extensive and comprehensive table of information on different cord types, sizes and available colors. You might want to check it out.

I hope at least some of it was helpful.

Vicky

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS