Do Jewelry Sales Actually Increase For Valentine's Day?

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 4:24 AM

Speaking to an old  friend yesterday, who makes and sells her own jewelry, we got into a discussion about seasonal trends. Her best time is the summer. Specialized pieces for weddings.

I asked her if the local retailer's mall ads for 'Get you xxxx for Valentine's Day' were really true. Did she have more business during this time? I've only ever received chocolates and a few (wonky) flowers. But, it's the thought that counts right?. If you want to buy me diamonds for Valentine's I won't resist too hard. lol

She said "No". How about you guys? Feast or famine?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 253
beadinstyle wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 2:19 AM

Hey Abby! I'm not sure if I get a spike in sales actually, but the week before Valentine's Day is often very challenging and interesting in my shop!

Why? Because it's a week that many of my customers are male, doing creative momento things for their Beloveds. And challenging because the Male Species just doesn't think in the same way as I do. They have A Project, a Vision in Mind, and want me to show them how to achieve it. I have to understand and translate the vision, and work out how to make it a reality. And Now would be a Good Time to do it. (Women, on the other hand, tend to learn techniques, then apply said technique to a Project. I find this much more understandable :-) )

My translation skills have improved over the years. So I find Valentines Day unique and entertaining now. Bring it on *laughing*

Ruth

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 7:35 AM

I find that I do have an increase of sale of pieces of jewellery with a heart theme as men do not have much imagination and often very close to Valentines day its self when they want it yesterday.

I do some promotion of special days and I also have a collection of Rose Quartz jewellery and as this is the stone of love this is also popular at this time. 

I have been around for a while and have built up a male customer base that come to me at birthdays, Christmas and other holidays so I know know the sort of thing they are looking for which helps as what they have in the minds eye is very rarely what comes out of their mouths.

Julie 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Feb 13, 2013 10:25 PM

I been married for close to 30yrs. DH has always said,"Valentine's day is Fools day". (Everyday should be lovers day) He would never go out, Resturants are too crowded. So, when a friend ask,"would He like to join them for a Valentine's Day Lunch?" I said, No, He said, Yes! Shocking! Men are so unpredictableSleep.Tomorrow, I am going out for a nice lunch. (amazing)

I don't expect any Jewelry in the process.Wink

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 13, 2013 11:47 PM

I've always wondered about that too. Like do you make more sales if its a special event? I tried doing that, I found I couldn't keep up with any yearly events, esp since I'm new to beading, i like to take my time!Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,524
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 1:15 AM

When I sold............ web sales tapered off and finally got "dead" in December except for those of the male type who waited way too long .......... I always directed them to a retail store, poor wife or girlfriend. Person to person at shows and other market sales always were best in January, slowing a bit in February and then picking back up in tourist season (beginning sort of April-ish depending on weather). When I was selling in CA I made up one special heart necklace and it went to the antique mall around the beginning of January. This was made out of all the heart charms, gems etc. that I had collected the previous year. It got to where there would be several people ready to buy it when it came in. It was special and the cost reflected it, but I did put other heart and red themed items out about the same time. They always sold well in January and I had none left by February 1st. Depending on the purchaser, they were either looking for just anything because they waited too long, or they were a bit earlier and wanted something special. The "just anything" buyers were in the majority though. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 24
abby_p wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 9:28 AM

Lunch sounds a lot better than the bag of BBQ charcoal I received one year!

I 'punished' him GOOD for that. lol

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS