made a nice sale

This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 8:51 AM

I know some are going to say that I sold this too cheap, but you have to know your target market, and I do. The thing  in the rural area where I am things don't sell for as much as they do in NY or CA. This is rural Michigan.  So that said I sold this necklace for $100. This lady has bought several of my pieces in the past year. I have them displayed in the bead store I help out in, there are other pieces there on consignment, but she only wants my pieces She says she likes my style,that and the fact that are one of a kind.  I don't make more than one piece of whatever it is, mainly because I am anal, and once I conquer a design, I don't want to do it again, I want another challenge. 

That said here is the piece. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 214
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 12:38 PM

Congratulations!

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 277
HDChiky wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 12:41 PM

It is a very pretty necklace, Sue! Feels good when someone loves your work so much. Great compliment to you and your work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 929
on Jan 30, 2013 1:11 PM

This is gorgeous! I love green and purple together, not often seen too. You deserve the sales. I like unique pieces myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
venecegarden wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 4:46 PM

It's a lovely necklace.  Don't worry about how much you sold it for, that is useless thinking.  Someone bought it who loves YOUR work.  She will wear it and that is non-monetary payment (in my thinking!).

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 5:24 PM

Awesome, Sue!  I think you got a good deal on it.  I would have charged that amount for it.  Congrats, sweetie!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 478
Calico3 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 6:06 AM

Very pretty! I love the color combination.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 6:29 AM

Thank you all for the comments.

I am working on another new design and will share when I finish.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 7:49 AM
Congratulations on the sale Sue. With all the work you put into it, it was well worth the price you charged...it is a beautiful necklace. Can't wait to see the next piece you post. Ricki
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 2:52 PM

Sue what a wonderful romantic necklace! yes i would had thougth the price is too cheap, as i know how much time, effort and passion is in your creation. If i sell something, well thats rare, not having much chances to do yet, i think too who could afford a price that would inclued the effort anyway and the best thing is also to see your jewellery is going to someone who loves it. Well i bet you are happy too for every bit that goes into your beading budget to buy new material for the passion.

Beads Ahoy

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 3:09 PM

I like the piece very much and in "suffragette" colors...........there was a big discussion on jewelry done post turn of the century in violet, green and white. The story was that it stood for "Give Women the Vote" but that turns out to have been someone's idea of a sales ploy. However, those of us who were selling at the time will always think of those colors as representing women's rights, etc. And the combo is good with or without the story.

Your buyer is no doubt happy that she will not see herself coming and going, that means a lot to our buyers. I have been toying with remaking a bracelet that I made once, but in a whole different color combo so it looks very different. Not that my buyer will ever see it on someone (it lives in SoCal and the owner doesn't travel up this way to our backwoods area).

Can't wait to see the next one. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 5:50 PM

Sue-I've no comment on your sale price. It's only YOUR decision and YOUR business. But I have Happy Comment on your piece! What a lovely blend! And God bless you and your patience. I've never attempted anything this long with such a technique. I know without starting I'd never finish it! When blending colors we need to be careful with the shades of these colors and you've done a magnificent job of it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 6:12 PM

Thank you all.

Although at first I didn't think I would finish the piece it was a slow go, designing as I went.  However the more I did, the more I loved it and the question changed from "IF I finish it" to "WHEN I finish it".  If I ever decide to make another, it will not be for sale. I will keep it for myself, it felt wonderful on, not too heavy, but diffidently held some weight.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 79
HoneyBeads wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 7:51 AM

100 dollars???? OMG that is so much!!! :O I could only dream of making that amount of money!!!! If I would sell a piece like that in the Netherlands, I would get maybe 45/40 euro's for it! That is about 60 dollars :O And then they would call me expensive!!!

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 8:12 AM

HoneyBeads:

100 dollars???? OMG that is so much!!! :O I could only dream of making that amount of money!!!! If I would sell a piece like that in the Netherlands, I would get maybe 45/40 euro's for it! That is about 60 dollars :O And then they would call me expensive!!!

That is why I have you have to know your target market. If I were in NY City or LA I could have been able to ask for twice that amount and received it with no questions asked. You know that in the Netherlands $100 may be out of limit, however, maybe if you were selling at an art gallery you could ask for 80/90 euro's. Know your target market, know your target market, know your target market. 

There are also places in Michigan where I could get double or triple that amount, but not where I live. I do have some embroidery pieces that I have more money on, and I may sit on them for some time. So the question is do you want to sell of sit on your pieces? 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS