An Emerald "Variety Pack" of designs

This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 8:40 PM

Sue suggested that we come to the Reader Showcase and show off our "Emerald" items. I personally love green and a lot of my bracelets have lots or little green in them. I "do" bracelets in between my loom projects. So I'll start off and all you gals just jump on in and add a post with your green stuff too.

OK, pic one is a spiral done in wild colors, the green is a nice light shade. The second one is a light colored grape vine with one strand of green beads and some green leafs. The third is just a strung one using up some lampwork beads and my fave beaded bead which I made gazillions of. Last one is a Fairey Vine pattern that came from Laura McCabe.

Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 8:46 PM

Next are more of my greenies........... first is an embellished RAW that is in the Oregon Ducks colors and one of my first bracelets, second if the Jitterbug, matte pink and emerald firepolish, then a "treasure" bracelet in nice springy greens but with some emerald too, and last is a kit from someone I can't remember, but leaves and buds on a peyote base. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 8:51 PM

Last but not least.............. my very first RAW bracelet, my first class that I took in the bead world, ta da and it is sort of a very pale greenish, Next is a black and lampwork bracelet decorated with lucies and a lot of them are green and it has a nice magnetic fold over clasp......... a wide green two drop peyote that I didn't make (the one I made in that class was purple) with daggers, pearls and a hand made clasp. This was made by our instructor and she knew of my hankerin' for green so she gifted it to me when she decided not to teach that class any longer. At the very bottom you can see a portion of my first Cellini spiral in WHAT ELSE........green!!! Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,827
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 11:30 PM

They're all very pretty.  The fourth one one, with the clear green glass leaf beads is my absolute favorite!  Like that it's called a fairy bracelet.Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,827
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 12:02 AM

Green and gold are the colors of my alma mater,therefore you must give it to me! (lol)  The one with the foliage on it is realle quite lovely, too.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,827
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 12:08 AM

I guess this means we've got St. Patrick's Day covered, huh? (g)  They're very lovely, especially the one with the candy bead in the middle.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,261
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 12:24 AM

I love them all. Nice job on your very first RAW. RAW like a Spiral stitch I find very versatile, and can lend itself to many different looks all with the same stitch. 

Valbeads:
I guess this means we've got St. Patrick's Day covered, huh?

I agree with Val, you have St. Patrick's Day covered.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 10:37 AM

Wow! What a busy girl you are! These are all so wonderful. My fav was soooooooo easy though. That black and lampwork with all the Lucite flowers. Just wonderful. And gives me an idea but not sure if I can use it or not. I have to make a set (thinking earring and necklace, or just bracelet and earrings) not 3 pieces, for a fund raiser silent auction and I've no clue or ideas what I want to do. Is there a designer (you perhaps?) that would allow me to make something similar to that bracelet and I can make up some earrings to match easily enough? I'd need a tut also, or at least a basic "here's what I did". I've made similar by embellishing raw bracelets, even using Lucite flowers. But mine sure never looked this good!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 1:01 PM

TC...............that was one of the easier ones. I don't remember a specific designer or pattern, it was something we did in an open beading session or a class at our local bead shop. If there is a designer to attribute to it, I am so sorry but I don't know who it was. I could have seen it in a magazine..........dunno. I have some lampwork beads done by Nancy Robinson (somewhere in New England) and I wanted to use them in something special looking, this is what I found.

Anyway it is on Accuflex or Softflex wire, string the clasp end, make the overall bracelet wrist sized plus a bit, string the (in my case) black 8/o Toho beads to almost the center, put on the lampwork bead, then string the equal number of beads out to the other end, attach the other end of the clasp. I added a bead cover also. Then with either Nymo or Fireline (black in my case) attach fringes by coming up between a bead (leaving the end bead empty) then going back down through that same bead, come up the next, etc. End at the lampwork bead. Start another Nymo or Fireline on the other side of the lampwork and ditto.

I felt that one pass through was not enough fringe and my fringes with the large lucies sort of fell over, so I added another full pass of shorter fringes using only black 11/o beads. Some of the original row of ends of the fringes have large lucies, some have a small lucie and a bead, some have a colored drop bead, some have just a picot of three contrasting color beads. When you look at my bracelet, one side of it has an extra row of fringes, one side does not.........you really cannot tell and I couldn't decide which I liked better, now I couldn't do much except take all the fringes off and start again.  Which being obsessive AND compulsive I may do. Also I'd make the fringes with the large lucies with fewer 11/o's as a stem.  I used 8 and that is why the large lucies flopped over so much. Live and learn. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 1:18 PM

Hi Donna,

They're all delightfull and my absolute favorite is the first, the fat colorful spiral plus centrepiece.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 1:19 PM

As I stare and stare, I get so many workable ideas flitting about in my head. Now I just need to 'capture' one of them, to make it hold still long enough to think the whole thing through. I always fall back to a RAW base. Perhaps that's actually good, but I've done so many in that manner that perhaps I'm tired of it, and maybe others out there (the people at this fund raiser) are going to look at it in the same way I did at first. Where as to me it's become everyday blah-blah, in the beginning I was all googley-eyed and full of "Oohs" and "Ahs". Does this happen with all you (us)?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 7:33 PM

Wonderful!!  If I had to pick just one, it would be your first RAW bracelet; it reminds me of celtic knots (sections).  Thanks for sharing!

Ottercat Coffee

01-27-13 (1732 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 7:38 PM

tcwhit:
to me it's become everyday blah-blah, in the beginning I was all googley-eyed and full of "Oohs" and "Ahs". Does this happen with all you (us)?
  With me, yes; but that's when I try something different.  I think that happens with everything (crafts, art, food, places, etc.)

Ottercat Coffee

01-27-13 (1737 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 276
HDChiky wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 9:11 PM

Ohhh my, I love them all... but, me thinks the 'fairy bracelet' is my favorite also. Beautiful work Donna.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 12:55 AM

Karin, the bright multi-color fat bracelet is out of Mastering Beadwork (Carol Huber Cypher) and was to be worked in African Helix. I loved that beauty from the moment I saw it, and that was the final reason for me to buy the book also.

However.........I have rather stiff fingers, always have been that way and I just don't have enough hands or toes or teeth to successfully pull off African Helix. So after much whining and drooling and tearing apart I decided to convert the pattern to a Russian Spiral which looks similar but your thread path actually goes through a bead instead of looping around it. That I seemed to be able to hold the tension on ok. I made samples until I was dizzy, trying to get the Helix effect out of the spiral and finally got most of the look right. Then it wanted to stretch out because of it's loosness, so I rolled microfiber as a core around a wire core, added bead caps and glue and there it is. Only ten times as difficult as it should have been. Oh, and two sizes of 6 colors of seed beads which I normally don't even use.......... Then you just embellish the center section with all sorts of doodads.

Ottercat, I also love those RAW bracelets, they are made in those smaller sections and then joined and embellished. They made nice little projects that I could take with me and work on for short periods of time. I have one half done, yellow firepolish base with a very vintage looking green and black embellishment, it's in my UFO drawer at the moment.

HDChiky and Val...........yep the Laura McCabe (Fairie Vine necklace that I made into a bracelet) pattern is simpler than it looks but works up faboo. She knows what she is doing for sure.

Thank  you all and come on post yours here too. This post was to be for ALL our EMERALD items. Donna

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS