Some earrings, and Champagne on Ice

This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 5:07 AM

Some more of my recent work, for your viewing pleasure:

I believe the inspiration for these came from a recent issue of BeadStyle Magazine.  One of my "first" attempts at messy wraps, I guess you could say.  The stones are Swarovski crystal rivolis.  These were a birthday present for my sister.  She loves them!  They are actually very lightweight, as I used 22g wire.

This is "Champagne on Ice," the set I designed for myself for Christmas.  I may have gotten the initial idea from one of my issues of Stringing; I can't remember.  I have such a short attention span!  The champagne rondellees are spaced with 11° gold seed beads. I've had that smoke colored faceted teardrop for so long that I can't remember where I picked it up, but I finally found a use for it.  Yay!

These are my aquamarine fans.  The picture didn't turn out as well as I would have liked; I'm still learning how to use my dad's camera.  I do aplolgize for the blurriness, and hope you're able to make them out.

That's it for now!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 6:03 AM

Such a lovely collection of handmade jewellery and I am sure that you sister is going to love her earrings.

I love the jewellery set with the lovely teardrop pendant and pearls it is so elegant I am sure that it looked beautiful when worn.

Does your dads camera have a macro setting? 

I take the photographs of my jewellery on automatic with a macro setting and that seems to work.

Thank you for sharing your lovely designs

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 6:10 AM

Very nice, I especial love the first set. They look like they would be fun to wear.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 9:37 AM

Thanks Sue!  Katy's wearing them right now!  I had a lot of fun making them.  She really loves them.  First time I ever attempted something with rivolis.

Handcrafted: thank you so much for your kind words.  As for the camera, I'm still trying to figure it out.  It's a Canon.  I don't know if Dad kept the directions or tossed them out.  He has a bad habit of doing that!Confused  We'll see!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 1:54 PM

Val, I have a Canon right now too............it is not the most logical camera as far as the buttons go. My Olympus was simpler and more intuitive to use (and took equal photos). I pulled the Olympus out yesterday after taking several shots of my emerald bracelets with the Canon and finding them blurred. Why doesn't that Canon show the picture as blurry or revolt against taking the picture if it is not in focus. The Oly would just balk and I'd move forward or backward until I reached the point where focus was attained and got my pic.

I don't use macro, just my normal "fine" quality shot and then crop it. That worked with the Oly and seems to work with the Canon. I do use a lamp to light my stuff, so I don't have to worry about the flash wrecking the photo.

Look online for info on the camera..........google the camera by name and model and add the word manual. Most all cameras will have a manual online in PDF format. Even if your dad didn't toss his instructions, download your own manual and just read a few pages at a time. Make the PDF as big as you need to and pick the first chapters which are usually the basics.

Take care and happy shooting. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 5:26 PM

Donna: Thanks for the 411; that's a really good idea.  My problem is, I'm too used to using a traditional camera.(which I still prefer to digital; the quality is really better.)  Having my own manual would be better, and I can blow it up on my screen so it's easier to read. 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 6:40 PM

Val, there ARE still moments when both Guy and I will grab a film camera. But, this newest "crop" of digitals are pretty darned capable. Go for it. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 4:07 PM

Hi Val,

Simply adore the messy wrap earrings! Do you already know what went wrong with the last picture? You made two crystal clear ones.

It's very nice to see more of your work.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 27, 2013 7:46 PM

Thanks for posting more of your work.  They're all great.  I think you got too close to the fans, but that's alright. Smile

Ottercat Coffee

01-27-13 (1745 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 82
HoneyBeads wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 6:08 AM

Wow very nice! I like the blue earrings the most! so elegante :)

Have a lovely beading day,

HoneyBeads1

Youtube Channel 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 1:51 AM

Donna: when I'm on the road, I just have to use traditional film.  I get the most gorgeous shots of wherever I happen to be at, even if it is with an inexpensive 35mm.  The one camera I've always longed for was a Canon AE-1, with a few select lenses to go with it.  They don't take pictures; they take works of art.  I fear that may always be a bit out of my reach, though, because they're excruciatingly expensive.Sad  Oh, well........

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 29, 2013 1:58 AM

Hey Karin and Sarah!

Thanks for your kind words.  I think the autofocus wasn't working quite right when I photographed the aquamarine fans.  Still trying to figure out Dad's camera; boy, it's a process!  GRRRRR!Angry

HoneyBeads: awww!  Thanks so much!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 308
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 4:29 PM

hey Val, the first earrings are adorable, you just gave me a challenge what i could try next with wire, i love the unique design. Got quite a fever for wire work at the moment too. and if messy... the earrings are messy with style, its like with the tree from Maddy, its somehow everything in a great harmony though its got some wanted accidents... .does that describtion makes sense? :)) well i love such things

I can picture the gold coloured set with focal on you too very well. Is that or Is there somewhere the jewellery you did wear at the celebrations and singing in church you spoke about?

And i am surprised that i saw so far only greenish and blueish jewellery from you... where have you hidden the lilacs my dear ;)). well i keep looking, there might be some more...

Greetings

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 5:48 PM

They're messy wraps, so......(g)  My sister loves them.  They were a birthday present for her.  Yes, the necklace and earring set was for my Christmas outfit for church.

Yeah, I've got a serious hangup with those colours.(g)  Not to worry, the purples are coming, as Lent will be here soon.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 31, 2013 6:24 PM

val - the canon you're talking about can be gotten now for very low price. it's an early 1980's 35mm slr film cam not made anymore. be careful buying used lenses (you want FD mount). when you start a system, put your big money into your lenses as the bodies are easier to replace or upgrade. there is an a-1 model and an ae-1. I have both of these cams. If you're serious about starting a system, perhaps you'd be better of with something with EOS lenses. You can upgrade the body at any time, and the same lenses will work (mostly). There are still some die-hard film users out there, and yet others are die-hard digital. always going to be someone in both camps. Film is more forgiving then digital, yet I use all digital these days. I use the film cams I still have for teaching with and as backups at weddings and such.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS