Licenses to sell online?

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Jan 24, 2013 6:02 AM

Hi everyone. I'm trying to set up my beaded jewelry website soon. But I first need to know if I need any kind of license to sell online. I know it depends on the state that you live in (Maryland). So if u guys could give me any help i would really appreciate it. Thanx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 530
shanks wrote
on Jan 24, 2013 11:17 AM

There are no license required for selling on the internet.  If you live in a state where you need to pay sales tax and sell within the state you probably need a business lic.  That is something you and your own mind will have to resolve.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,461
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 24, 2013 11:47 AM

Contact whatever community you live in.......city, county, etc. They can tell you what they require. If there is a listing in your phone book for a small business development center, call them. They are funded to help people start and grow a business. As far as keeping records, contact a CPA for info on what to keep track of, there are usually time frames for start ups, but if you succeed, you will be glad you had the information to back up your numbers and it will be easier if you start keeping track from the beginning. Track your "cost of goods sold" and the SBDC can give you that or look it up on the net. I heartily also recommend a business plan no matter how brief, it will give you more of a broad picture of what you want to do. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Feb 1, 2013 6:06 AM

I've recently applied for a GreenCard, as I believe that the US might be a good place for me. First of all for those who think that too: The US Government grants 55.000 GreenCards to foreigners - great!  Second: I think this question is very interesting and important. Should I belong to the lucky ones, selling jewelery will be my job (one of my jobs) for sure. And I think that I will sell in an internet shop too.

So thank you for the answers and please tell me in which states it is not necessary to pay taxes for your sales. This is what was said in the answer above, isn't it? For sure I will have to go to the city hall or community administration or whatever.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,253
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 1, 2013 8:21 AM

MoldaviteGirl:
please tell me in which states it is not necessary to pay taxes for your sales

Girl,

Off hand I can think of a few state that don't collect sales taxes. Florida, Texas, N. Dakota, Arizona. I am sure their are others. Google sales tax free states, and see what comes up.

Some states that don't have a state sales tax, but no matter where you live in the USA you still have to pay Federal Income Taxes on all moneys earned. So you must, no matter where you live keep good records, because you don't want to be deported for not paying Federal Income Taxes. It is a Federal law that you must pay Federal Taxes on income, for face heavy penalties. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Feb 21, 2013 12:24 AM

Hi Sue,

Texas has a sales tax, but no income tax - which is fine by me!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,253
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 21, 2013 7:15 PM

Sorry KipperCat,  it's been a long time since I last lived there. I left Texas in 1973, wow, no wonder I can't remember it's been 40 years since I last lived there. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Mar 1, 2013 4:23 PM

In in Washington state. There is no state income tax, but there is a sales tax, and it varies by zip code. It's a huge headache because it's destination based, so I have to keep track of the location and date of each of my in-state sales, and present all of the data in easy-to-calculate spreadsheets come tax-time.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 316
PatD3 wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 5:48 PM

Florida also has sales tax but no state income tax. 

Pat

www.designsbypatdudley.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS