Aloha & Long time no see ~ Organizing

This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 11:40 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick hi. I got real busy with the holidays, mostly making jewelry gifts for my family! Then I started crocheting and I couldn't stop. Everybody liked these owl hats I was making so I made a few of those. I have been wanting to get back into beading/jewelry, but I really need to organize my craft room. There is yarn and material and beads everywhere lol. Which brings me to the next subject: What is the way you all organize your beads? I really need a system that works!

TIA

~Maddy

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 5:32 AM

Hi Maddy,

it was the same for me, very busy with the christmas time, holidays and catching up with daily life. I still lose the timefeeling and what day it is :)). Well back to the roots.

For the craft room organization, for myself i just got little space, a corner in a big room, so i have there a shelf with a lot of baskets, in the baskets i have sorted all types of beads in little plastic boxes and whatever suits to keep the beads save. Sorted by type, color and so on, its quite a bit work, but as i do everything straight a way nothing gets lost. I just know i need more space too....soon.... i would love a room for all the hobbys.

Cya

May the beads be with you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 10:01 AM

I have two red file cabinets that I purchased from Ikea. here is the link to what I have. It can hold 2 plastic storage boxes that measure 11 X 7 X 1 1/2 inches plus has more room for a smaller box or lose items in each drawer.

ikea.  com/us/en/catalog/products/40107872/  you will need to add the www. infront of ikea, and close up the spaces. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 1:59 AM

Maddie!

Missed ya, my friend!  Yeah, Christmas was pretty crazy for me, too, but I didn't have much opportunities for beading because 95% of my time was spent in church!  They're settling down at last now, for about two more weeks before Lent begins and my church schedule really kicks into high gear.

My new studio is nearing completion.  I have a large, seven-drawer organizer tower for my tools and other necessitites.  My beads and stones I keep in sealed, compartmented boxes to keep them corralled.  I promise to post a picture when it's complete.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 6:19 PM

Hi Maddy, glad you're back!

Is it possible to see one of your crocheted owl hats? It sounds quite intriguing!

Maybe I'm not the best example for organizing beads because I got such a limited space on board. On the other hand it makes things more simple. I don't have enormous amounts of beads to choose from and I know exactly what I've got in stock. This is how I organized it:

One foldable crate with beads and findings.

One toolbox with tools and pliers, needles and more beads.

And one more elegant toolbox converted into a display box for finished jewelry.

This suits me fine. I'm used to it from the start. It will be different if you live in a house with more space.

Hope you'll get organized soon!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 6:40 PM

Wow, Val, I would definitely be interested to see some pics! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 6:48 PM

Hi Karin,

I really like that idea! I think I should get a toolbox. Right now everything is in big plastic drawers from Walmart, but I really need something with compartments like how you have it. Thanks for sharing! I will post my owl hats below. Thanks for asking about them! Here are two of them. 

and here are 5 more... This woman ordered it for her entire family. It was fun to make them!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Jan 21, 2013 6:50 PM

I really like those! If I'm not mistaken however, Hawaii does not have Ikea boo!!! Where do you get the storage boxes at? Can you get them at Walmart of Home Depot?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 22, 2013 12:03 AM

Hopefully by month's end I'll have some piccys for you to look at.  Btw, LOVE your owl hats.  They're adorable!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 307
Aunty Akoya wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 7:21 PM

uuh i almost missed this post....

lovley lovley pictures to look at.....i love your storage Karin, especially you jewellery case, my tongue is hanging out ;)... i would like that too to live on a boat, would have a bit trouble with myself in the beginning that i couldn't have so much things(beads:) anymore, but actually my best times in life so far was anyway where my whole household was fitting in a little lorry(right word?), i love it practically and not having to much ballast, might be i'll get there again when i move(but not without my beads:)).

Maddy, that hats are really inspiring, i would love one like that for myself, dressing with a bit humour i like anyway, that could get another idea i nick from you,....still working on the tree pendant :).

Val i look forward to pictures from you too, anyway did i miss some pics of you when i have been away so long? that you got a necklace picture for your profil now too i find sad, i did like to look in your eyes while chatting ;)))....well maybe i should put a personal pic on for change or a while, i am allways scared to show myself online...silly...

Greetings to you all

Aunty Akoya

May the beads be with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,863
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 9:59 PM

Hi, sweetie!

I've missed hearing from you!  Hope you had a lovely Christmas.  I certainly did!  Now I'm freezing to death!  How I hate winter.Angry 

Well, there was a big discussion about personal information sharing in a public forum and after a lot of thought I made the difficult decision to remove my photo, especially after hearing how one member had been internet stalked.  I may put it back up again in the future; we'll see.  In the meantime, I gotta go pilfer Dad's camera! (lol)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Jan 24, 2013 7:26 AM

Hey, Maddy, your owl hats are so cute!! Love all of them!

And guys, Very glad to have a view of your methods to collect your beads, this is how I and my cousin collect ours, I think I should not miss the post here!

We do not have room for beading alone, therefore, we can only collect them with some simple containers. Most of the materials are seed beads by the way.

Pic. is here:

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Jan 25, 2013 4:48 AM

Hi Maddy,

Oh, they are fabulous! In my mind's eye I see this family walking the street with their owl hats on. What a jolly sight!

Any progress in the organizing department yet?

Greetings from Karin.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 83
oilnwine wrote
on Jan 25, 2013 11:58 AM

Hi Karin,

Well, no! LOL I need to just go to the store and check. I tell you, i *hate* going shopping. I always wait till the last minute. And I got more owl hat orders so I am working on those Big Smile. It's just that I am such a jack of all trades. My "craft" room is now being used for all my material, sewing machines, oil & acrylic paints & canvases, yarn, knitting & crochet and now beads! I really have to get started! It seems that I haven't beaded in so long. I think I burned myself out during the holidays. I am also planning a trip to see my mom who lives in Las Vegas, so, it seems that's the story of my life: busy, busy, busy! I guess I can't blame anyone but myself since I make my own schedule haha!! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,317
on Jan 26, 2013 6:19 PM

Hi Maddy and welcome back!

I use fishing tackle boxes to organize my beads (modeled here on my bead desk by my cat)

I have 2 extra large 4 drawer tackle boxes that I picked up at GI Joes on sale before they went out of business, but you can find the same ones at Hobby Lobby and Walmart. I also use a computer desk as my work space...the keyboard tray is just the right size for my bead tray and the desk top area has room for my tackle boxes and displays. I will try to get a better picture (without the cat) if the sun ever comes out.

Christina,

Rainy Pacific Northwest, Home of The Seahawks. 

http://vintagetreasuresjewelry.blogspot.com 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS