Trouble finishing bracelets and necklaces with crimps

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
IVedros wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 6:51 PM

I made 2 bracelets today and had the hardest time finshing off the last end. I am using Beadalon wire and crimps. I can not seem to get the second end finished without having a large loop or extra space between the strung beads. Any tips would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

Ida

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 567
shanks wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 9:18 PM

Welcome Ida,  Yes

You might try using about a size 10 needle to assist you.  When you are sending the stringing wire back down through the finding and the crimp, put a needle in the loop. Pull the bead up as close to the finding as you can and with the needle inserted in the loop pull down on the wire going through the crimp. This gives the beading wire something to slide over other than the finding, when fairly tight pull the needle out. sometimes you can get the last little slack out with a tug on the beading wire. Hope this is clear enough. You might practice a little before doing something as a finished product.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 75
AlexiaFF wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 10:11 PM

Hi Ida,

For the other end of bracelet or necklace: place crimp bead on after last bead placed, then finding (lobster clasp or soldered ring) go back through crimp bead and down through two beads. Pull the wire, slide the crimp bead down, pull wire, slide crimp bead down. Repeat this until you have a small space between your crimp bead and the finding. Then smash crimp bead. Cut wire tail off. As you are pulling on the tail of wire you are tightening up the beads that are strung. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jan 23, 2013 3:16 PM

You have the final bead on, then crimp bead and the jumpring on the finding (clasp.)

• Take your Beadalon back thru the last bead (3 if you can.) 
  • The large loop you should still have can be hooked onto a nail, needle or pin. (see picture) With your needle nose pliers, pull your Beadalon as tight as possible back thru the beads. 
  • Having your Beadalon hooked onto the nail allows you you maneuver your Beadalon and beads until they are maximum tightness where as it can be quite taxing on the hands otherwise. 
  • When you have wiggled your beads as tight as you can get them,(still holding the Beadalon tight with your needle nose) crimp your crimp bead before they have a chance to wiggle loose. 
  • With the beads bent slightly for best access to your extra stringing material, and holding the Beadalon, use your flush cutting snippers and cut the Beadalon. I find it is best to cut at a steep angle and I can usually tuck the little tail into the fourth bead and it can't be seen. 

photo from The Basics of Bead Stringing 

Amy at www.AmysHandmadeSilverJewelry.com

Amy Schurman

www.AmysHandMadeSilverJewelry.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 23, 2013 6:29 PM

Amy,

Very nicely illustrated and explained. Thanks for your input. 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
IVedros wrote
on Jan 26, 2013 12:09 PM

Great idea Sue! This looks like it will really help. It reminds me of the "boats" my youngest brother used to make to pull along in the ditch. : )

Not Ranked
Posts 5
IVedros wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 11:29 PM

Amy,

Thank you so much for the idea with the board. I put one together and it worked like a charm.

Ida

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 6:22 AM

Since I'm a total train wreck when trying to finish a piece off, this is a post I'm keeping as a favorite.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 7, 2013 12:52 PM

I'm glad I could help, and tickled with the positive feedback as that was my first forum post.

Amy Schurman

www.AmysHandMadeSilverJewelry.com

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS