Help me compare sizes- C-lon cord to crochet thread

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 15, 2013 7:27 AM

Hello,

I am interested in buying some various sized C-lon cord (I think)- I thought I had it all figured out and now am second guessing myself...

I see the diameters listed for each type of cording as well as fiber it is made from- My issue is - I have attempted to measure diameter of current types of strings/cords I have already and what I am getting seems to be so small if the diameters are correct- I know fiber type does make a difference however... I do not have a source to actually see or touch C-lon in person. All 4 craft stores here are useless for this item or it seems anything remotely similar and my closest 2 LBS' which are over an hour and a half away do not carry anything other than the actual size D thread.

I am interested if anyone else has crochet thread or embroidery floss 5 or 25 that can help me compare...

I have been beading and off loom weaving forever along with wire and many other type and would like to do some micro macrame as well as not so micro macrame-

The C-lon micro appears to be very very thin so I was going to try the Tex 135 (.4mm) as well as get some standard C-lon cord (.5mm) and Tex 400 (.9mm)

I am almost rethinking the Tex 135 since it is only a tenth of a difference between the standard size.

I just don't want to order an abundance in a diameter that will not likely work for various items I want to do.

Anyone?

I have crochet thread size 10 (100% mercerized cotton) as well as size 3-

size 10 seems to be a good diameter although I don't want to use cotton that will eventually start to "fuzz" or get "linty" etc-

I have looked for a place that will send a small length sample of each type cord and can't find a source- Caravan has a sample pack listed for $50- but it is not available and quite frankly that is NOT my idea of beneficial spending... 

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions-

Thx so much!

~Luv

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 16, 2013 9:55 AM

Anyone? I know I have seen a few mention crochet work... and I am sure I have seen some who do macrame...

I really would appreciate the help here- I'd like to order before Sunday if possible... (also going to get in on the Toho sale at the same time)

Anyone that can't help here but may have suggestions...?

Should I just order 2 of each size and compare that way?? I figure 2 colors would allow me to at least be able to do something with it even if it is not what I need for my ideas...

Well, I can even do just one color of the Micro and definitely find a purpose for it if it is too thin...

The best deal Bello Modo has though is the 8 packs... Caravan does not sell 8 packs to "regular customers" and I no longer have a tax ID- I do plan to get another soon but a ways down the road still...

Grrr- You would think with 4 Big store Craft stores and a private general crafts store, a smaller "big store" fabric store and 2 dedicated private sewing shops I should be able to get my hands on some C-lon to check it out! Confused 

Well at individual spool prices is there a cheaper source than Bello Modo anyone? With free US shipping? I found a few with spools a few cents less than Bello but not free shipping...

H-E-L-P! LOL

~Luv

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 464
shanks wrote
on Jan 16, 2013 11:04 AM

Can this help:

Each bobbin (spool) of C-Lon nylon monocord size AA is approximately 75 yards or 69 meters long. Its thread diameter is like Nymo thread size 0: very thin.
Each bobbin of C-Lon nylon monocord size D is approximately 80 yards or 73 meters long. Its thread diameter is like Nymo thread size "D."

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 17, 2013 11:09 AM

Shanks,

Thx for trying- I wish it did but unfortunately I am not looking at thread- Just the cording... I am familiar with the thread and still use nymo or Fireline for most things- Or wire-

I really want to do some micro macrame styles or rather macrame/wrapped/knotted with a cord that is supple but similar in diameters to the hemp/ waxed cotton/... well Size 10 crochet thread or size 5 embroidery floss...

I don't want to use hemp since it is limiting and rough/stiff to boot- I don't want to use the cotton since it will get fuzzies and even attract lint etc- Not to mention the ease or not of adding beads of various sizes... I have seen comments on C-lon and became intrigued- I also saw about S-lon, Tuf cord, etc but the C-lon color array and the amount on a spool per price seems to be right up my alley... Also, regardless- None of the craft stores or LBS's in my area or even a couple hours out have any of these types at all other than the thread in sz D...

I can't even compare hand to hand to see if another would fit the need... I am taking fibers I do have and thinking, "this one would be great if it were that C-lon stuff" but of all the comparison charts I have found none list anything available locally that I can compare it to. Also, confusing for me is seeing it used on youtube and other websites/blogs etc- some people take pics very up close and others are not so good- but I have not been able to decide what true size would be best for me-

If I can't get someone who does know a bit about it, I am going to order 1 Micro C-lon and 2 each of the other sizes ( I really think the micro will be too small for what I want to do, but I can use it eventually in something or even use it to wrap leather cording with added beads, or even bead embroidery maybe... Not knowing exactly the size weight I really don't know yet- I am sure regardless I can find something to do with the C-lon Tex 135 and the C-lon if it to is too thin- & even worse case that the Tex 400 ends up being too thin, again, I am resourceful and crafty and will find a use for it- LOL

Just not a great deal to order individual spools vs ordering combo packs... I just don't want to order 8 if it really isn't going to work, ya know?

Again, thx for trying! I hate to sound desperate- Of all places I have been and the shows I have seen I am sure I have seen this stuff but never looked real close at it since it wasn't a product I thought of using at the time... just wish I had better resources locally, I hate dealing in returns OR multiple orders over a week or so time from the same place... even with free shipping- (*sigh*) Guess It could be worse- LOL

I may go ahead and send it out tomorrow before the weekend hits-

I guess when I get it I will share a "common materials" comparison for everyone! Wink

~Luv

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 514
tcwhit wrote
on Jan 17, 2013 7:55 PM

Just a thought: Find a tut on a pattern similar to what you'd like to work on, and see what sizes they suggest?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 464
shanks wrote
on Jan 17, 2013 9:01 PM

Have you given any thought to using a fish line? If you would go to a site like Bass Pro Shops, they will have many types of line to look at. All the lines would give their dia.  I am talking about the regular woven fish line, not the monofiliment or fireline etc but a Braided Dacron line

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 9:04 AM

@tcwhit  Thx that is not a bad idea- It just seems many other people use so many other types/brands... I have looked at quite a few "C-lon projects" but unfortunately they are not consistent with giving size of C-lon used or size of bead used each time... It's a hit and miss, LOL

I am going to order as I said earlier and then once they get here just decide from there which cording to order multiples of... (I was just trying to avoid ordering twice or three times within a close time frame... (I am NOT a big internet buyer, even if I have had good experience with a company- too many hackers and risks to continuously put my bank info on line... yeah, I am still one of those people- VERY careful... as technology has advanced for "more secure" ordering it has also advanced in the "hacker world" on how to get into people's personal info... When I do order on-line, I try to do as much as I need for a good time frame... It does mean I miss a lot of sales but I just plan out an order over a few months and even try to order from only one place at a time- Then if anything happens to my account, I know where it came from. Just me...

@Shanks - the fishing line- even the braided is too thin for this purpose... If not I would have just doubled or tripled my Fireline... or braided some lengths of nymo to use (maybe)- I am anxious to even get started- it seems I will obviously be having some "experimental time" prior to actually deciding on what exactly I will use. I have actually been doing some basic weaves with the crochet threads I have... (It may be the thickness or very close to- just not the fiber content I need(want). The #5 embroidery floss also could be a fair thickness but again... I am so picky, LOL- I just know that if I saw a piece with floss and a piece with a fiber that was smooth and neat, my vote would be for a smooth, neat "fiber"- 

Again, I will definitely have to share my comparison when it arrives... and hope that C-lon is indeed the best that I have chosen to use. Sure wouldn't want to do all this again... LOL

~Luv

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 464
shanks wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 10:09 AM

As far as I can see in your posts, you have not indicated what size line you are looking for. How about relaying the dia. you need as that would be most helpful.   Some of old people my have an idea for you then beyond the obvious.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 10:49 AM

LOL, That is the problem... I am not really sure- I thought between .5mm and 1mm but again, I have looked at crochet thread, floss, and a waxed hemp I have- they all look approximately the same but aren't. I believe the fiber type makes a difference in the actual diameter. When I see items done with .5mm it seems to be okay and then so does 1mm so I guess I can be flexible depending at that point which beads I use (seems to fit on both those but not necessarily able to pass through multiple times on both... that is fine as I can switch and experiment with that. Anyway, the waxed hemp says .5 but it isn't really- I measured and it may lay in at approx 1mm- Hard to see and I don't have a bead sizer to measure by holding it between the two pincher points...

The cord I looked at for plastic canvas says 1mm but it is really wide looking/bulky... looks to be like more of 1cm actually- then I checked out a garden twine type cotton cord... it stated 5mm and on my tape measure didn't come close- it was more like 2mm- Soooo, I am confused as to how these are sized- maybe some companies really have no idea of what they are measuring?... One person said that it would be that diameter when knotted... etc-

I believe a .5mm to 1mm would work and would like to try both- I see as size goes on the sites, Micro C-lon is much much thinner, but when seen in a project it didn't appear to be as such... again, it could be someone stating they are using micro but they are not really...?? the C-lon 135 and C-lon appear to be so very close, I am really not sure of the difference- If it will make a difference to me- (.4mm and .5mm)- I know they have different break strengths, I am not sure (I actually didn't look as to how many fibers are in each to make up the diameter), and other than color options and amount on spool, I am not sure of big difference between .4 and .5

Then Tex 400 at .9mm is still not exactly 1mm but I figure it may work because it will give that little small bit of room for a knot or a tighter bead, etc

It's okay, I like challenges like this- It also helps me to learn about more than just what I need so I can make a note of things for future reference...

I am excited to try something with all of them-  and hope I don't get caught up in wanting bulks amount of all for various things, LOL

I hope to find one or maybe two that I can do multiple things with as well as my current idea I have been working on. (And hoping it works with my current idea)

I keep drawing so I don't lose track of what I keep thinking about and just in case it is not the size I think, I am drawing alternates and ideas as to change a bit "just in case", LOL

Hopefully the order is here in a few days- should be.

Thx again

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 464
shanks wrote
on Jan 18, 2013 4:18 PM

Well here goes for a different direction.   http://www.store.jewelsinfiber.com/nylon4.html  Take a look at this, the #18 is .5mm a #277 is .7mm

Do a search for Upholstery threads and you can find lots of colors and sizes and materials.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 238
beadinstyle wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 3:58 PM

Not sure if I'm helping here. I use C-Lon a lot and Tex too. For kumihimo and knotting. Knowing the diameter only helps a little bit, because strands behave differently when knotted. For example, 1mm rattail and 1mm waxed cotton knotted will give you a different diameter cord, and a different feel. C-Lon and Tex-900, are nylon, and give a neat tight knot, very tidy. I have seen it used in micromacrame, and it looks great. Crochet thread is softer, and compresses a lot when knotted. But the knot is still fluffier than one in C-Lon. 

So ... as I say I don't know if I am helping or making the situation more confusing. You simply have to try the threads to see if they give you the result you want. It can be a long frustrating process  I know! But enjoy the process, learn and remember. And have fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 51
Luv2CUSmile wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 8:13 AM

@beadinstyle & everyone who has attempted to help me in this...

I am posting a new post- I ordered and received my C-lon!! I have to report for anyone else who has been wondering... @beadinstyle yes, actually you helped a lot! Unfortunately I have been working like crazy and in between running my kids to their various games and meets so little time to get back in here unless I wanted to give up my time to actually create- NOT! LOL

Check out the new post on C-lon... I am actually quite pleased! ;)

~Luv

Not Ranked
Posts 2
the dragon wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 2:00 PM

Hi, a thread I use a lot for micro macrame and kumihimo is anchor perle size 8, it is thicker than s lon#18 ( which is .5mm) it is a mercerised cotton and I find it lays nice and flat which s lon doesn't always, I can also thread size 11 seed beads onto it and this makes up nicely in kumihimo if you use seed beads on all eight threads. hope this helps.

Kay

Not Ranked
Posts 2
the dragon wrote
on Mar 21, 2013 2:00 PM

Hi, a thread I use a lot for micro macrame and kumihimo is anchor perle size 8, it is thicker than s lon#18 ( which is .5mm) it is a mercerised cotton and I find it lays nice and flat which s lon doesn't always, I can also thread size 11 seed beads onto it and this makes up nicely in kumihimo if you use seed beads on all eight threads. hope this helps.

Kay

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS