Beadweaving with 15/0's

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 13
on Jan 8, 2013 10:27 PM

I bought one of Ellad2's wonderful tutorials (the Maroon Bracelet) and it calls for passing through 15/0 beads not once but twice! Right now I'm using Wildfire in .006 instead of Nymo or Fireline and it won't go through the 15/0's even once!  I'm unthreading my needle and stringing the tiny beads directly onto the thread, then threading the needle and going through the larger bead, taking off the needle to put on the 15/0's, etc. I'm going mad, I tell you!

Okay, full confession; I was in such a hurry to start, I went to my LBS and bought what they had - generic 15's and the Wildfire.  I have since ordered Miyuki's and Nymo AND Fireline and when they come I'll finish the project with them - if it's really going to work!

Have you gone through Miyuki 15/0's twice with Nymo or Fireline? If I have to finish this bracelet by taking off my needle every 2 beads and putting it back on, I fear I won't finish this lovely bracelet.

Thank you in advance-

Cindy 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,288
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 9:34 AM

The bead and the needle make a big difference. The Wildfire really isn't much different then the Fireline. It is really the beads and needles. I use a size 12 needle with my 15/0 beads, and using a generic bead, usually Czech, which has a smaller nonuniform hole makes it almost impossible to go through them even once. I have always said to buy the best beads you can afford. 

My personal preference is Fireline. I dislike Nymo because I don't like the way it easily frays, and I don't think the knots every really get tight enough not to slip. Just my personal preference, so will swear by Nymo and I respect that, it's just not worth my time to use it. But test all three threads, and you decide what you like best.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,492
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 12:11 PM

Cindy, always interesting how similar materials work for different people. I use both Nymo D and Fireline 6#. Normally my beading is done with delicas, but I do have some Miyuki and Toho beads in the rounder shapes. I just finished up a bead embroidery and the surround on the cab was done with 15/o Toho seed beads. It was a back stitch, so two strands per bead, then I reinforced the whole row with a single round............so they actually took three passes.

My local store carries Toho in all sizes and Miyuki in slightly less quantities except for delicas which they try to carry as many as possible. I don't even have to have a project in mind, the Toho colors always suck me in and I have a nice collection of their 15/o, 8/o, and 6/o beads.......so I am always prepared to try out some mag project.

Wildfire is .20mm thick, Fireline is .15mm thick...........so a marginal difference. I only use Wildfire (it seems to be s stiffer material in general) when I need support in the project, like a bangle bracelet that needs to hold a shape.  I tend to use a 10 John James needle or an 11 Tulip, until the moment that I have to change downward to a thinner needle. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 230
KathyK1999 wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 12:12 PM

I've made many projects where you go through 15/0 beads multiple times.  Generally not a problem using Fireline 6lb and size 12 needes, but I do always use Japanese size 15/0 beads.  I used Czech size 13 charlottes once and there it was really hard to get more than one pass through.  Never used those beads again.

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 579
shanks wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 3:29 PM

There is always 2# Fireline and #14 needles. Making multiple passes the 2# should be strong enough.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,288
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 5:43 PM

Where do you find 2# Fireline? I normally only use 4#, 6# and 8# Fireline. The 4# has been the finest, and the heaviest 30#. Not sure I would ever need to use the 2# Fireline or even anything heavier than 10 for my beading projects,  just curious as to where you found it.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 579
shanks wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 8:32 PM

Bass Pro Shops carry the 2# Fireline, and I am sure that other sporting goods stores would as well.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 190
noelohwell wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 12:20 PM

i use fireline and can go through 15 delicas 3-4 times, no problems. 

Noel

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS