My Upstairs Project

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 4:56 PM

This was my upstairs project. It is made with Gold plated copper wire and Sterling Sliver plated copper wire. The necklace wires were slightly twisted using 20g gold and 22g Silver. Hand made 18g gold jump rings and the 20g S-clasp is slightly hammered to harden. I've also learned how important it is to get the wire ends as smooth as possible. No snagging clothes or irritating the skin.

It may be a couple more days until the downstairs project is done. There's a little more tedious to it and it seem to be evolving as I go.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 6:28 PM

What a gorgeous choker!  Are those carnelians?

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 3:50 AM

Good Morning Val and thank you very much.  Before I posted this I looked for their name.  These are some I got early on and when I was buying 'pretty' beads like crazy.  Anything that tickled my fancy, ya know. Smile  I believe that are acrylic though.  I also look up carnelians and I now am a little educated and love those too! Yes  Thank you again.

~Francie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 1:23 PM

You're very welcome, Francie!  Oh, I know, when I first stated beading I would do the same thing.  I'm a bit more particular now; the closest I get to acrylic or plastic is Lucite.  That's because Lucite is very well crafted and looks like porcelain.  I love glass, stone and semi-precious gems.  I'm afraid I've become a bit of a snob;I don't really like the stones, crystals or beads at AC Moore or Michaels any longer. I think the quality is inferior and they're grotesquely overpriced.  I'll still purchase my findings there, because the prices are still fairly reasonable.  If I want to stock up on say, Swarovski, though, I go to Fire Mountain.  They charge less than half of what AC Moore and Michaels charges, and you get more, e.g.: 14 6mm bicones at AC Moore=$4.89. 24 6mm bicones at FMG=$2.38.  You do the math.Confused  When you live on such a fixed income like I do, and want to be able to enjoy using Swarovski once in awhile, you comparison shop.  But even the worst grade of FMG's stones and such are better than what I'm seeing in these stores here!Sad  I know, I'm a snob!  But Fmg's prices are really great!

Carnelians are one of my favoritest stones of all.  I especially love the dark reddish brown ones.  They go with so many things.  It's ironic; carnelian used to be so rare, only the nobility could afford them.  Oh, well.

I really hope you'll consider entering that necklace in a contest, if you haven't already.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 11, 2013 5:58 PM

Thank you for the name of that style of dress Caroline.  I have always loved those, just did not know what they were called.

And thank you Val Big Smile  Right now I don't have a clue as to how I go about entering a contest.  That would be fun.  Any pointers?

~Francie 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 2:48 AM

Francie:

Well.....a lot of the beading magazines have contests, so you can go to their wesites to find out.  Also, a lot of the beading websites, like FMG, or Lima Beads, Beadaholique, Artbeads and so forth have contests going.  Just go to their sites and search for any contests they might have coming up.  they will give you detailed directions on how to enter and what they need to receive from you.  From what I've heard, it's a good way to get name recognition, even if you don't always win a prize, because you can still have your work published, which can bring attention to your store.

Hope this helps.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
WrapNBeads wrote
on Jan 12, 2013 6:10 AM

Good morning Val and thank you!!  Very good information not only for me, but anyone else reading this thread. Yes  You are a Gem! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,875
Valbeads wrote
on Jan 13, 2013 1:42 AM

Oh, I'm so glad it was a help, Francie!  I think Beadaholique may be having a contest right now, if you want to zippy over there.  It's funny; I was just thinking-- your Ginger necklace would look very pretty on my cousin, Ginger.(g)  And yup!  She's a redhead!

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 149
Handcrafted wrote
on Jan 16, 2013 5:28 AM

It is a lovely chocker necklace and the lovely earthy colour of the beads works so well with the copper wire. 

I love jewellery making and my taste is becoming more for the simple designs and this piece of jewelelry is very simple and elegant

Julie 

Handmade jewellery designs found here

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS