Peyote stitching around a stone

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Jan 5, 2013 5:32 PM

I've been trying to learn how to stitch around a stone and I'm coming into a problem or two. I've found lots of patterns and guides that use at least two different sized beads. My problem is I don't really have different sized beads to work with. I have a hodge podge of beads and have to use what I have, which is mainly just the common sized seed bead (for lack of the proper retail name of them). 

So does anyone have any tips on how I could do a peyote stitch around a stone without having to use different sized beads? Or is there another kind of stitch I could use that would have the same effect and look?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,466
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 5:40 PM

The only reason to use more than one size is to "taper" the top and keep the most surface of the stone exposed. Go right ahead and use what you have, just watch that it doesn't get to where it covers up the center too much. If your first row is stitched onto a backing like LStiff Stuff or Nicoles Bead Backing you will have the structure to hold the stone because it will most likely be glued to the backing. If this is just a "ring" around the stone you will be fine with 11/o beads. D.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,258
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 6, 2013 9:31 AM

you can do a 4 bead RAW to go around the bead, then after you have the bead circled, continue around doing a peyote stitch. Just start a peyote by adding a bead, go though the bead that is standing up. you will still need to do a decrease, but you don't necessarily need to use different size beads. You can do a decrease every few stitches, or however you feel is necessary to achieve the desired look.  

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS