How do you keep track of where you are on a seed bead pattern?

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
ExtraHannah wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 3:46 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new here a fairly new to beading. I do a little of most things, but find bead weaving to be very fun and relaxing. I've made several cuff bracelets and a few amulet bags already and have been very pleased. I've mostly worked in peyote or two-drop peyote.

I just ordered a lovely new pattern for a cell phone/amulet bag. It's done in a modified square stitch and I'm picking up the method fairly quickly. My problem is that I have always used word charts in the past and just used the graph to check my work. Well, my new pattern didn't come with a word chart. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to keep up with where I am in the rather large pattern. I think it's made even tougher by the fact that you add 4 beads at a time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,354
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 1, 2013 4:34 PM

so.............four drop square stitch? There is no better way for me than to keep a heavy ruler under the current row and I move a pair of old pliers across to hold my place horizontally. Hope this idea helps you out. I just did my first pattern with a word chart............how interesting, no? Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 552
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 3:31 AM

I place a copy of the pattern in a plastic sleeve. Then I use a wipe-off marker to cross off each row (or stitch if necessary) as I complete it.

Cat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Jan 2, 2013 6:55 PM

I use a metal tray (with sides), magnetic strips, and a pen.  One strip to mark the row I'm on, another to mark where I've stopped (in that row) and the pen to check off each row that's competed.  I haven't done a pattern using only text, yet.

Ottercat Coffee

01-02-13 (1654 PST)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,139
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 9:20 PM

I don't have a magic answer. but, My Sister uses a metal sheet that sits on a stand for needle point. It comes with magnetic strips.

I find, "post a note", the sticky ones that you can replace makes it easier to keep up with smaller projects.

a magnifying ruler(used for computer work) works if the print is small.

a #2 pencil with and eraser to check each row seems to work on big projects.

I recently got  Bead Tool 4, because it gives me the word charts. Cheap and easy to use. (at my age, those were important)I got addicted to those word charts. I hated wasting so much time writing them out for pattern that I bought online.

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS