Feeling kinda dicouraged

This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 100
kadone wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 10:10 PM

2012 was a pretty crap year as sales went for me. I had about $200 worth of stuff on consignment and none of it sold, I took a loss at the one event that I was able to afford to go to, and aside from a good sized custom order early in the year, I didn't sell much at all. So, back to the drawing board for the marketing plan. Fingers are crossed that next year will be better...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 31, 2012 1:11 AM

I don't sell in any venue, but my friends who do had a tendency to sell the higher priced items the last two years, lower end and production pieces more or less sat. So my take on that is those who have money to spend want better quality or more unique items. The person who bought on impulse something is laying low right now. I sell strictly by someone seeing what I have done and they "need" it and buy it from me, so I am not a good barometer of sales. Rethink your line, update colors and I hope you will have a better year. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 9:27 PM

here is wishes for Great Sales this year!... rethink, redesign,  just keep telling yourself, "someone is out there looking for exactly what i have for sale".

I intend to give a few pairs of earrings to different ones at the different banks, resturants, ask them to take my card and share it with anyone interested in my jewlery.

Been down with flu and a common cold, i guess, so haven't done any beading in a week or two. ..my thoughts "make it and it will sell"> Good Luck!

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 1:58 PM

It gets better! The more you do - the better you become. In 2010 and 2011 I calculated losses for my business, so 2012 will be my first with an actual (for realz) profit. It's exciting.

But to think if I had thrown in the towel after my second year in the red this wouldn't have happened.

Lots of people will try, many will give up at the first side of failure. Those of us to press on through it (and learn from it) will succeed.

Good luck with 2013!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 100
kadone wrote
on Jan 9, 2013 2:56 PM

Well, I just took a chance and listed my first item on e-bay. We'll see how it goes. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261153260567

Hopefully, the spam filters won't eat this post

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 26
on Jan 10, 2013 2:18 PM

Hi Kadone,

Yes, it's really trial and error sometimes.  I agree with megabgirl.  Don't throw in the towel, don't give up.  Just use this experience to learn from and maybe do a bit more market research and put your jewelry on consignment somewhere else? I had pondered myself for a while whether to put my jewelry on consignment but so far I've decided against it.  I'm sure it works very well for some but I'm just not feeling that path right now.  Let me know how the ebay selling goes too.  Good luck and hang on in there.  You'll eventually find what works - and what doesn't work for you.

Margaret  

Margaret 

Michaela Jewelry by Design

http://www.michaelajewelry.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 4:19 PM

Kadone, also if  you have stuff on consignment, do they do any promotion? Some places do and others do not. I had some bead stuff in a shop, good prices and excellent work by two of our best beaders and I had a few pieces of my own there also. With no promotion by the owners, it all sat. Another store in the area gave up taking consignments because of the type of biz they are not doing.........moslty mail order supplies and beads, so the consignment items were only seen by walk ins. Your whole consignment experience may have been not the result of your work, but by the lack of expertise in promotion by the store that had it. Hope this year goes better for  you. Ebay certainly reaches a much wider audience. Donna

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS